Bell officially launches Fibe TV in parts of Toronto and Montreal - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 08:06 PM

330 King St. West, the address of Bell Lightbox where the Fibe TV pressconference was hosted, is ready to take new customers; however neighbouring buildings that have similarly been provisioned, won't be able to order unless they are on "the list". So the new question for people in my scenario is, how do you get on "the list" and become qualified?

There seems to be a very big delay between time of provisioning at an address (installing fiber and a new VDSL2 shelf) and delivery of service at an address.

I'm not sure if this is intentional to hold off too many people signing up at once, or there is a big bug in their system. Either way, it needs to be looked into: add more capacity at high demand CO's or fix the location tool bug, maybe the database just needs a mass import of new eligible addresses.

Last edited by 000; 2010-10-04 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 11:00 AM

Hi 000. The info that hsantos provided is unofficial. The COs that are scheduled for completion in the spring are in progress and individual locations may already be ready even though the whole CO isn't complete.

According to other posts I've read, the best way to check your availability is by your Bell phone number, not by address. Bell's database is far from perfect and there seems to be problems with particular buildings.

Even though your building has a VDSL2 shelf, there may be other components, connections and/or testing that needs to be done before you're ready for Fibe TV.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 11:55 AM

I never said it was official. Im just getting this from someone inside that
is informed weekly about the evolution of the project. Maybe its ready but not yet in operation.

I posted the info so people are informed of the deployment and are not expecting too much since more of the action will take place in 2011.

Regarding the demo, I know they had some kind of special setup yes the CO
is almost ready but not yet for the public. And communication is not always clear.

Just be patient... and sorry If I mislead people. But I trust my source.
And will share more If I have.

Samsung HL-R4664W / DVD-HD850 / Dreamlink HD / Zotac HTPC / Fibe VIP1232

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 01:52 PM

hi hsantos, I'm not disagreeing with the source of your info, I've heard similar dates elsewhere.

I just wanted to point out that the exchanges, whether partially or fully completed, are able to and are providing IPTV to certain provisioned addresses in their respective areas.

I was more curious to know if you could possibly pass my word along for someone at Bell to express customer sentiment at one of these meetings. All people with VDSL2 inside the footprint should be able to place an order for the service. In advance of mass marketing and the official 'Fibe TV' campaign at your doorstep, I can't see any trouble accommodating a few extra customers-the one's that effectively educate and maybe even persuade their neighbours through word-of-mouth more than than a radio spot or a piece of paper

Since September 13 this is no longer supposed to be an "exclusive" club of specially selected addresses as it was for the trials aka Bell Entertainment Service.

Thanks

Last edited by 000; 2010-10-05 at 02:26 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-12-01, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I am in Etobicoke and just checked my availability. Not until 2012!

Talking about a slow launch!

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 10:56 AM

Map of Toronto Central Offices

Here's a Google map I put together a while ago based on the info that hsantos provided.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.308647&z=12

Green indicates the COs are ready.
Yellow means the COs are unofficially scheduled for Feb. 2011 and are partially ready.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-01-06 at 12:11 PM.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

It's pretty clear the 500,000 numbers is a crock. I guess what surprises me is that MarketNews would accept that number at face value without any critical thinking.

I guess as long as Bell is advertising with them, they'll accept any numbers!

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 11:07 AM
Eug
Veteran

My CO is St. Clair and Brimley (TOROON35DS0) and already has full-speed Fibe 25 internet up and running. (Note the red pin on the map is in the wrong spot, since the address is actually St. Clair.) They claim that Fibe TV will be available in the region in 2011.

For those of you with a scheduled 2012 (or later) Fibe TV launch, is Fibe 25/7 internet available in your area?
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 02:11 PM

@Dr.Dave Great Job!

Here's some updates:

Toronto FEB 2011
Toroon06 (Eglington) + Toroon03 (Donlands) + Toroon01 (Adelaide) + Toroon07 (Ridelle)
+ Toroon27 (Simcoe) + Toroon46 (Don Mills) = Rdy > 80%
Toroon47 (Finch)+ Toroon48 (Ernest) + Toroon44 (Bellevue)= Rdy > 50%

Quebec FEB 2011
MTRLPQ19 (CDN) + MTRLPQ29 (St-Michel)= Rdy > 80%
MTRLPQ30 (MTL-N) + MTRLPQ23 (Dudemaine) = Rdy > 20%

Samsung HL-R4664W / DVD-HD850 / Dreamlink HD / Zotac HTPC / Fibe VIP1232
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 02:54 PM

Thanks, I'll add those to the map when I get a chance.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-01-20, 11:13 AM

Does anyone know how the readiness of the CO's relates to the availability of the service? I live not more than 200m from the Dufferin CO and both the web page and calls to Bell result in "Service not available in your area".

I'm thinking of buying a spool of fibre myself and just walking it over from my place to the CO....
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-01-20, 12:33 PM

@xred, there may be issues with specific addresses. Even though you are close to a C.O. or node, the wiring may run in a convoluted route. Another possibility is that the copper wire to your location may be very old and needs to be replaced.

If you're really anxious to get FIbe TV, I would suggest calling in again and trying to find out why your address doesn't qualify. That may take some persistence since I don't know how much info the front line staff have. THere could also be an error in the database.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 07:50 AM

Thumbs down Dream of FIBE in Toronto Condo

500,000 is not a realistic number, I live in Downtown Toronto near college Subway and only 2 or 3 Buildings (As per Map) have Fibe TV. Until unless it is avaliable in Condos & Apartments, numbers doesn't matter. Customer in Condos and Apartments want choice not monoply.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 05:28 PM
Rookie

I was called last week and was told that Fibe TV is available in my area St,Leonard ...I just joined Bell Satilite last month but was told that I could switch to fibe no problem or as suggested by bev agent to keep sat.bell till the year promo is over (free 9242 pvr rental)2, and then switch over to Fibe Tv. That is probably what i will do.So far very happy with Bell sat.Bye Bye Videotron after 19 years. No signal fade even with big storm 2 weeks ago:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in