Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Fibe, Questions..

429K views 1K replies 249 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Im thinking of ditching bell tv after 5 years. Love the service, prices are good but sick of satellite tv losing signal in bad storms. The new Fibe tv service is available in my area.I currently have the fibe25 internet. Ive read that its a max of 4 set top box's. My question is i have 5 tvs. I want to change to fibe tv and i obviously want to watch my 5 tv's so i need 5 set tops. The most set top box's that will ever be on at once is 4 ( 3 sd and 1 hd). Now is it possible to get a 5 box install in this case? the 5 tvs will NEVER all be used at once. Unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me.. I need the 5 tvs or ill have to either settle for bell tv or make the swap back to robbers. I'd call be all ask but i already know ill call 5 times n get 5 different answers so i always come here first :cool:

Thanks in advanced folks.

#6 ·
got the bell tv canceled in about 2 minutes after getting a hold of a csr. To order fibetv i spent about 2 hours on the phone. First CSR took a long time then i got disconnected. Second call went smooth and everything has been ordered. 2 Year contract, 5 terminals, 9 themes+ Movies, and the Portuguese package for 153.90 a month. That includes the fibe 6 internet. They ask so many darn questions! but they explained everything very thoroughly. The first 2 consoles are installed free, and i will be installing the other 3. Just curious as to how they hook up.. i know its through coax but is it to the modem or to the PVR?

My install is for Monday between 8-12. ill let everyone know how it goes and how good the picture is and that good stuff. Im quite excited :D been with bell tv for so long and ive always wanted the Portuguese channels but they were only on rogers until now.

#7 ·
The STBs are connected to the modem by either coax or Cat5. Since you are switching from Bell satellite, the coax should all be terminated in a central location. The installer should install an HPNA splitter that connects all the cables you will be using including the ones you will be installing yourself. Plugging in the additional STBs should be straightforward, providing the existing cable is in good condition and the proper splitter is used.

#8 ·
I would love to know in what area of TO, you are.

I been still trying to order FibeTV, but sadly stuck with just their Fibe25 internet service since the original launch of FibeInternet. -- Like it, but sure wish I still would not be paiding Robbers for their crappy TV which at times due to so many illegal spitters in my small corner building, it goes down for hours. -- At least Bell has never dropped the Internet for more then a few minutes on a early Sunday morning. -- Plus I never get under 27meg!!!

#9 ·
Yea. All the box locations run RG6. the house was build a few years ago. All the cables run into the Furnace room where my current bell fibe internet modem is.

The house has 2 Ethernet runs.. One to my main bedroom and one to the family room. Neither of those cat 6 cables have connections on the ends though.. wonder if bell will put the ends on for me?

Is there any advantage in running those two Box's via Ethernet instead of coax?

I'm in Scarborough. danforth and Victoria park area. I was told right away from the both CSR's that i was electable for the service.. but then they explain everything to you in detail about the service and you end up spending 2 hours on the phone lol.

None the less its all booked. Looking forward to my new fibe tv :D

#12 ·
Sorry to intrude. I have a question. My house has the old cable which is not suitable for HDTV. Rogers had to run a new cable on the outside of the house into my bedroom where my HDTV is. If I switch to FibeTV, will Bell install new cables for me, free or will I be charged? TIA

#14 ·
My parents are currently paying about 100 bucks a month for rogers 2-35 and the portuguese package along with 2 digital box's. Im thinking of switching them to the new fibe tv also. Now heres my question.

They dont have internet.. but im seeing if i can save them a few bucks.

They currently have bell home phone..
so if i got them fibe tv..
Choice Package $62, Portuguese pack $15,The free PVR and 2 additional consoles ( total 3 box's) and the basic fibe internet so they can actually get the service all on a 3 year term.. What total price would i be looking at monthly?

Im really confused on the pricing for them seeing as they dont have/need internet but its needed for the service so im wondering how much the price will jump.

If i can get it to around 100 or just a litte bit under id be willing to switch them no problem. I asked bell but all the CSR people r so confused on the new service. Thanks in advanced!

#15 ·
Where are your parents? They've updated the FibeTV site to say where in Toronto (The Beach) the service is available.

I'm on the West side near High Park and still waiting to get the service here. I can get Fibe25 Internet, but not TV yet. Can't wait to ditch Rogers and have HD PVR all over my house and in my detached garage/workshop (coax and cat6 out there already).

#16 ·
there around Gerrard and greenwood. I ordered last night. got the starter plus pack.. $48 +15 for the portuguese. So 63 for tv + 31.95 for internet= 94.95 plus modem rental fee, before tax. $115.15 after tax. not bad Kind of hoped it would be less. I asked if i could buy the modem instead of rent and the CSR said no. i dont know if im going to go through with the install . With Rogers cable and bell home phone they pay $105 for cable and $65 for the phone making a total of 171.XX after tax. For the fibe tv ( with internet) and home phone they will pay 172.XX after tax.

Yea their getting internet with the fibe.. but my parents are old.. they dont have computers. The only advantage i can see with paying the extra few bucks for the fibe would be Their getting 3 Set top box's instead of only 2.. and the 32" LCD i got them for xmas will finally get an hd set top box.

Besides that technically they are paying more with bell ( their also getting more).

#17 ·
@Boavista, it sounds like a good deal. According to your figures your parents will pay about $1 more and get an extra HD box. I'm not sure if you've included a PVR in your calculations, but if you have, they will be able to watch recorded programs from any TV.

#18 ·
hmm well im currently on the phone with bell.. idiots changed My own appointment date ( Not my parents)to Wednesday. i was told Monday and i booked the day off work so i can be home to have it installed. currently on hold.. some ones going to get an ear full. Gotta love bell!

#19 ·
well being transferred to 7 different departments, Yelled at 2 people who gave me attitude.. and i finally got a hold of someone at fibe tv who knows what their stuff! . Gave me a $20 credit but i have to keep the Wednesday install date because the Monday was all booked.

What a head ache.. hope this is all worth it.:mad:

#20 ·
Fibe TV/ Fibe 6 Internet

Hi,

Am I to understand that you are limited to getting Fibe 6 when purchasing the Fibe TV offering? I really want to dump Rogers but the 6Mbps would be quite the step backwards and given that I'm using 75 gbs on Rogers the 25gb cap would kill me. Any thoughts on this? The Fibe TV offering has really got me excited and I just can't believe they are making the internet side so pathetic.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Regards,
Bob

#21 ·
Consider to switch to TekSavvy cable.

My advice, switch to TekSavvy cable for the internet. Takes about 5 minutes
and no equipement changes on your part. Still uses the Rogers cable to backhaul to the TekSavvy fiver node. The only differences you will notice is 200 GB download, no throttle, lower price, less rate increases, less if any lowering of caps and better customer service. And no I do not work for them,
just in the same boat and got sick of Robbers also.

#22 ·
Maybe one detail

Sorry one detail that might get in your way (isn't there always something)
is I think Bell may force you to take the Fibe 6 internet as part of the TV package. Best to check with them.
There was metion on the TekSavvy site a while back (if i read it right) of them getting a lot of new equipement to someday resell Fibe TV. They now resell Bell DSL. Gives some hope for the future but unfortunately won't help you at the momement. Best of luck.

#23 ·
FibeTV is IPTV (television that runs over Internet, albiet only over the last mile -- to Bell's private VLAN), so Bell requires Fibe Internet for Fibe TV. The good news if the Fibe6 as part of FibeTV behaves like Fibe25 when all TV's are turned off. The cap is only 25gigs though, but the maximum overage cost is fortunately capped at $30. So you're paying Fibe6 prices for Fibe25, and the price difference can be used towards overage insurance.

If you want to have both TekSavvy Cable and Fibe Internet simultaneously at the same time for your PC, you could get a dual-WAN gigabit Ethernet router such as the Cradlepoint MBR1200. (Which also supports 3G and cellphone tethering too). Just make sure the TV is wired directly to a port on Bell's Cellpipe router, for best TV performance, and another port on the Cellpipe piped into the WAN port of a dual-WAN router..

#24 ·
Well got my fibe tv installed today :D
Install time was about 2.5 hours beginning to end. 2 was two installers.. they were EXTREMELY NICE! Wish they could all be like that. they went the extra mile for me and even did little extras that they had no obligation to do. I had some Cat 5 cable going from my Bedroom to the Main control room where i have all the Coax running to and he Installed a cat 5 jack on both ends so i can actually use the cable. He also replaced a cable i had on the kitchen TV because it was short.. he took it out, cut a proper sized one and cleanly installed it along the baseboard.
Words cant express how awesome these 2 guys where.

Now for fibe tv-
Picture is awesome. No doubt about it. Definitely better then Bell Satellite and Rogers. Virtually NO macro blocking. I'm definitely impressed. Now comes the part where im disappointed..

Whole reason of leaving Expressvu and going to fibe was that fibe carries the Portuguese channels. Well after getting the service setup n channel scrolling i noticed i was only getting 2/3 Portuguese channels. So i called up bell and much to my discontent i was told by 2 CSR's that they Are going to carry the channel, HOWEVER it is not Available yet! Like come on bell WTF.. how can they advertise a channel and even give the pricing for it on their site and even advertise the channel number, even in their programming brochures but not actually have the channel?! Like come on.. That really pissed me off. Hopefully it comes soon if not then it totally defeated the purpose of me switching to fibe.

More to come in about a week or two when i have more time to play around with the service.

#25 ·
Did some playing around just now. I decided to Start recording 1 HD show on the pvr, While watching another HD Show on the same tv.. i then went down the the kitchen and turned onto another HD channel. ( total 3 HD streams running at once) It worked :D I then went and turned on another tv and put it on another hd channel. It did work but with heavy freezing (Only freezing on the 3rd tv that was using the 4th hd stream other tvs were still showing fine)all while my wife was watching an SD channel in another room. ( didnt freeze on that tv at all).

So looks like Depending on the bit rate of the channel you can Record an HD stream while watching 2 other HD channels + 1 SD channel.

I know Uverse recently updated there stream that allows i think 3 HD/ 2 SD at once.. so this proves that it can be done on bell to.:cool:

For the record when doing this "test" all the streams were on DIFFERENT channels. If you try it on the same channel the bandwidth usage is the same because its just using 1 stream and showing it on the various tv's.