Fibe, Questions.. - Page 67 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #991 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 10:13 AM
Veteran

If cabling is used, it will be ethernet CAT5/6. Existing telephone wiring can be used for telephone. Any existing ethernet cabling can be reused. Wifi can be used where it's not easy to run ethernet cable. If there are any dead wifi zones, Bell can supply mesh nodes to extend the network. It's possible to use existing RG6 coax for ethernet but the adapters are fairly expensive.

Bell typically buries cabling about 6" outside to the home so no extensive excavation is required. Getting the cable into the house is no different than coax cable or a phone line. They may the existing holes. Don't let them remove the cable company's coax entering the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 10:59 AM

Interesting....What would be required to use the existing RG6 cable? I assume these adapters would be required on both ends of the RG6 cabling?
post #993 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 11:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
So running any new cable for Fibe will not be easy nor pretty either.
Depending on the installation, it might be possible to use the old cable to pull in the new.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #994 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 11:17 AM
Veteran

what would the rg6 coax be used for? for running an internet line from your modem to a pc? if so, with all the costs of media converters its probably a better idea and makes more financial sense to run a new ethernet wire instead. ethernet is really only used for connecting hardwired computer devices, if you happen to have Bell Fibe "TV" then the receivers are wireless or the tech may run their own ethernet wire because re-using an existing wire may add problems down the road especially when ethernet to coax converters or power line ethernet devices are used they can fail and cause problems which can complicate the troubleshooting, so its advised to just run new ethernet wires or use the wireless tv boxes or if u can run wireless to your laptops and stuff go for it
post #995 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Quote:
What would be required to use the existing RG6 cable?
They are widely available. Do a search for "ethernet over coax converter." The ones that support MoCA 2.0 are the best bet. A good unit that supports 1Gb speeds will cost $100+ per end. Others may be cheaper but significantly slower.

If the distance is not too great, a couple of good AC routers that support mesh would be more versatile and will provide decent speeds. A second AC router configured in bridge or repeater mode may also be adequate. In bridge mode, the PC would be plugged into the router's LAN port and get the full available speed of the router. The router would also act as a wifi extender.
post #996 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 11:37 AM

@giovanni Bell uses wireless TV boxes for new installations. The Home Hub 3000 router uses a separate Wi-Fi radio to communicate with the TV boxes so it doesn't interfere with you internet Wi-Fi traffic.
post #997 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 12:20 PM

Yeah, it's all wireless, no need to use coax or anything really.

My son just had FIBE FTTN installed (even though they have just finished the FTTP in the neighborhood, Bell wasn't quite ready to connect to the houses yet). But matters not, wether it's FTTN or FTTP, it's all wireless.

In my son's house they just plugged the 3000 modem into a phone line at the demarcation point and then the PVR is wireless and the other receivers are wireless. They also plugged in a bunch of those repeaters into the wall on each floor to ensure wi-fi coverage.

elyk
post #998 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 01:46 PM
Veteran

The issue is that some people like some devices wired. A file server or workstation might need full 1Gb speed to operate efficiently, especially with 1Gb internet. Wifi, especially the way most ISPs install it, may deliver insufficient speeds to perform large backups or for working from home. Most mesh hubs, as supplied by Bell, are designed to provide maximum coverage, not maximum speed. While they are usually adequate for portable devices and video they may be too slow or cause unacceptable wifi network congestion for other uses.
post #999 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 03:21 PM

Yes, you are correct. I would like to have a hard connection to an android box where my tv is right now. So just trying to see what I can do if I choose to go with Fibe when available.
post #1000 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-20, 02:18 PM
ih

Hi there,
I decided to quit Bell for a better and less expensive offer from another provider. I canceled my Fibe TV subscription, but my VIP2262 VPR box is mine (purchased from Bell) and I still have a few recordings on it which I'd like to watch.
I connected (HDMI) the PVR to the TV, and I see "Bell Fibe" on the screen. But I cannot get to "Menu", neither from my remote, nor from the "Menu" button on the box.
Can somebody please help? And sorry if I'm posting on the wrong site. It's the first time I'm posting and didn't know better.
post #1001 of 1001 (permalink) Old 2019-07-20, 05:53 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Sorry, but the Fibe system "authenticates" the recordings each time you try to play and if you're not connected to Fibe, it won't play.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Tags
bell , ethernet , fibe , install , internet , modem , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in