Fibe, Questions.. - Page 66 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #976 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-03-16, 06:29 PM

I live in Etobicoke and the only speed for internet for me is 50. I am near the Woodbine Racetrack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #977 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-03-20, 04:31 PM
Rookie

On January 8th, I switched from Rogers to Bell Fibe here in Kitchener. After completing the work the Bell Tech said he could take the Rogers equipment and have it returned to Rogers. I foolishly agreed as he said it was a Bell Customer Service.

Last Friday, I was shocked to receive a Rogers Invoice for $944.33 for not returning the Rogers Equipment, Being Router, Modem and Receiver/PVR.

After many hours of calls, emails the issue of the missing modem, router and receiver/PVR seems to have been solved today. The Bell Supervisor acknowledged that Bell Technician did take my Rogers Equipment and left it on a shelf in their shop from January 8th until today when I drove from Kitchener to Guelph to retrieve it this morning and then return it to Rogers for credit of $944.33

Why he ever offered to do this as a Bell Customer Service is beyond me and never follow through or admit his mistake and just leave it on a shelf in a shop is baffling. I should have known better yes but that is 20/20 hindsight. I am sure everyone has been updated on the fact of never to accept Rogers equipment.

The Rogers Rep I spoke to an hour later who was calling the second consecutive day asking when and how I was going to settle my $944 outstanding amount was exceptional and spent 45 minutes following up the return and ensuring the amounts were properly credited. She even waived the Late Payment Penalty Charges. Thank you Antoinette from Rogers Wireless, you were the absolute epitome of Customer Service As was the Bell Technical Supervisor who was absolutely outstanding in resolving this matter.
post #978 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-03-28, 06:20 AM
Rookie

Two VIP2262s OnSame Network

A thread on here from 2014 addressed the question of having two 2262 PVRs on the same network. The responses ranged from "impossible" to "can be done", with Bell adding to the confusion by having multiple techs and CSRs giving opposing opinions. What is the current status of this, is it possible these days, and if so, how?

I fully understand that Fibe only allows one PVR at a time, so obviously I'm asking about using the second 2262 as a simple receiver. I need to expand our network here at home and am not keen to rent, or buy at Bell's current price of $275 for a 2202 when I can pick up used boxes for relatively little.

Thanks in advance for any advice

post #979 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-03-28, 10:36 AM

@jp071848 I moved your post to this thread since there was a good discussion of buying used equipment starting here:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188...ml#post3071545

I've never heard of anyone actually activating 2 PVRs on one Bell Fibe account, so I don't think it's worth pursuing. The reason you see used PVRs so cheap is because they are likely rental units that people don't own, so they can't be activated.
post #980 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-03-28, 12:09 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the re-direct, better fit here for sure. That thread from 2014 was a bit old and very inconclusive, so I thought I'd resurrect the question in case some new info had come out. And of course you're right about the issues in buying used. I just bought two used boxes on EBay, and both the seller and I contacted Bell separately, and were both told that the units were OK to activate. I bought them, then spent an hour on the phone trying to activate, only to be told that Level 3 Tech Support had determined they WERE rental units after all.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-03-28 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post immediately before yours.
post #981 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-05-30, 07:05 PM
Rookie

Fibe Receiver updated ?.

Pretty sure one of my receivers flashed an update notice...top of screen.
Anyone notice this ? Or seen release notes ?
Thx
post #982 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-06-16, 12:04 PM
axc
Rookie

fibe tv- additional receiver or Fire Stick ?

hi, thinking of switching from Videotron to Bell. Told by Bell salesman that for my second TV i could buy a fire stick instead of leasing a second terminal/receiver.

My questions are:
will I loose any quality in using firestick ? ( the home hub3000 will be on a seprate floor of the house)
will I loose any functionalities ..?

also was told that I could watch TV outside of canada usibng app ( which I have a hard time believing). anyone successful watch bell tv in mexico ?

last question: i already have a chromecast. any difference with firestick aside from the remote ?

thanks
post #983 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-06-16, 06:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Told by Bell salesman that...
A lot of Bell sales people are not Bell employees. They are hired by an independent company and use an outdated Bell brand name to identify themselves. My experience with these salespeople is that they are sometimes less than reputable. Double check anything they say down to the last detail. That includes actual products. I've had "Bell" salespeople misrepresent DSL and satellite TV as Fibe products and exaggerate available internet speeds by up to 20 times what is actually available. Also check prices. My experience is that the prices given are no better or may be higher than those available directly from Bell. Check the Bell web site for offers. There is also information there on what services and programming are available on third party devices. The Apple TV 4K seems to be the product that is best supported by Bell. It's pricey but probably worth it.

You should have the option to cancel door to door contracts withing a specified time. If the service does not meet expectations, I believe you also have the option of cancelling any Bell service within two weeks of installation without penalty.
post #984 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-06-17, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axc View Post
hi, thinking of switching from Videotron to Bell. Told by Bell salesman that for my second TV i could buy a fire stick instead of leasing a second terminal/receiver.

My questions are:
will I loose any quality in using firestick ? ( the home hub3000 will be on a seprate floor of the house)
will I loose any functionalities ..?

also was told that I could watch TV outside of canada usibng app ( which I have a hard time believing). anyone successful watch bell tv in mexico ?

last question: i already have a chromecast. any difference with firestick aside from the remote ?

thanks
There are several threads here confirming what the Bell rep said.

You can stream a copy of a program that you're recorded on your PVR to a mobile device anywhere in the world. You can't watch On Demand or Live programs outside Canada.
See thread: https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188...ml#post2999761

Devices like Fire Stick, Chromecast and Apple TV are streaming devices and require an unlimited internet account. Bell must also obtain a separate in-home streaming licence from each channel owner, which currently covers about 500 channels.

Fibe TV boxes allow you to use the Restart feature to play a show from the beginning if you just tuned to the channel or go back up to 30 hours in the guide to play a recent show. They can pause and rewind live TV or play a show as it's being recorded by interacting with the whole home PVR. Streaming devices don't have those capabilities. Streaming devices must wait until a recording is completed and is uploaded to the server before they can watch it.

Fibe TV boxes use a separate IPTV protocol and aren't carried over the public internet, so they tend to be more reliable and consistent. You can take a look at the Fibe app threads in this section to see people's experiences with streaming.
post #985 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-06-17, 12:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
will I loose any quality in using firestick ?
That depends on the model. They all do HD. Some do 4K. There won't be a lot of 4K material and a lot of TVs are not 4K either so choose the model best suited for your TV. The 4K model is on sale right now. It might be worth getting that to provide some future proofing and to take advantage of the newer 4K chip which might look better on a good non-4K HDTV.
post #986 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-06-18, 10:39 AM
axc
Rookie

DrDave, are you saying with a fire stick on my second TV, I wont be able to watch my subscribed channels live while at home ?
post #987 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-06-18, 11:00 AM

You can watch live TV on your Fire stick, but you won't be able to pause or rewind.

List of channels available: https://www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/Fibe-TV-App
axc likes this.
post #988 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 10:54 AM

Bell Fibe question

So it seems that Bell will be installing Fibe soon in my neighbourhood. Having never seen or used any of the cabling required, what I would like to know is what needs to be done inside my house if I should choose to go with Fibe?

I assume all of the existing RG6 cable running though the house will not be used? If this is the case then I my have a problem. All except a small area of my basement level is finished. So running any new cable for Fibe will not be easy nor pretty either.

Would they need to excavate outside to get the cable from the "new" box up to my foundation wall?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by 57; 2019-07-04 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread.
post #989 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Bell Fibe can mean anything really... Bell Fibre to the Home, or Bell Fibre to the Node. I have Bell Fibe and its FTTN so it uses my existing copper phone wires to my modem. but if u have FTTH i don't know ask someone who already has it installed to find out a more precise answer
post #990 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 11:07 AM

I believe they will be bringing the Fibe cabling up to the homes in the area. We have received notices for upcoming construction and locations of "ground level boxes".

Tags
bell , ethernet , fibe , install , internet , modem , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in