Fibe, Questions.. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

there around Gerrard and greenwood. I ordered last night. got the starter plus pack.. $48 +15 for the portuguese. So 63 for tv + 31.95 for internet= 94.95 plus modem rental fee, before tax. $115.15 after tax. not bad Kind of hoped it would be less. I asked if i could buy the modem instead of rent and the CSR said no. i dont know if im going to go through with the install . With Rogers cable and bell home phone they pay $105 for cable and $65 for the phone making a total of 171.XX after tax. For the fibe tv ( with internet) and home phone they will pay 172.XX after tax.

Yea their getting internet with the fibe.. but my parents are old.. they dont have computers. The only advantage i can see with paying the extra few bucks for the fibe would be Their getting 3 Set top box's instead of only 2.. and the 32" LCD i got them for xmas will finally get an hd set top box.

Besides that technically they are paying more with bell ( their also getting more).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 02:09 PM

@Boavista, it sounds like a good deal. According to your figures your parents will pay about $1 more and get an extra HD box. I'm not sure if you've included a PVR in your calculations, but if you have, they will be able to watch recorded programs from any TV.
post #18 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

hmm well im currently on the phone with bell.. idiots changed My own appointment date ( Not my parents)to Wednesday. i was told Monday and i booked the day off work so i can be home to have it installed. currently on hold.. some ones going to get an ear full. Gotta love bell!

post #19 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

well being transferred to 7 different departments, Yelled at 2 people who gave me attitude.. and i finally got a hold of someone at fibe tv who knows what their stuff! . Gave me a $20 credit but i have to keep the Wednesday install date because the Monday was all booked.

What a head ache.. hope this is all worth it.
post #20 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 01:13 PM
Rookie

Fibe TV/ Fibe 6 Internet

Hi,

Am I to understand that you are limited to getting Fibe 6 when purchasing the Fibe TV offering? I really want to dump Rogers but the 6Mbps would be quite the step backwards and given that I'm using 75 gbs on Rogers the 25gb cap would kill me. Any thoughts on this? The Fibe TV offering has really got me excited and I just can't believe they are making the internet side so pathetic.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Regards,
Bob
post #21 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 01:42 PM
Rookie

Smile Consider to switch to TekSavvy cable.

My advice, switch to TekSavvy cable for the internet. Takes about 5 minutes
and no equipement changes on your part. Still uses the Rogers cable to backhaul to the TekSavvy fiver node. The only differences you will notice is 200 GB download, no throttle, lower price, less rate increases, less if any lowering of caps and better customer service. And no I do not work for them,
just in the same boat and got sick of Robbers also.
post #22 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 01:55 PM
Rookie

Unhappy Maybe one detail

Sorry one detail that might get in your way (isn't there always something)
is I think Bell may force you to take the Fibe 6 internet as part of the TV package. Best to check with them.
There was metion on the TekSavvy site a while back (if i read it right) of them getting a lot of new equipement to someday resell Fibe TV. They now resell Bell DSL. Gives some hope for the future but unfortunately won't help you at the momement. Best of luck.
post #23 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 01:59 PM

FibeTV is IPTV (television that runs over Internet, albiet only over the last mile -- to Bell's private VLAN), so Bell requires Fibe Internet for Fibe TV. The good news if the Fibe6 as part of FibeTV behaves like Fibe25 when all TV's are turned off. The cap is only 25gigs though, but the maximum overage cost is fortunately capped at $30. So you're paying Fibe6 prices for Fibe25, and the price difference can be used towards overage insurance.

If you want to have both TekSavvy Cable and Fibe Internet simultaneously at the same time for your PC, you could get a dual-WAN gigabit Ethernet router such as the Cradlepoint MBR1200. (Which also supports 3G and cellphone tethering too). Just make sure the TV is wired directly to a port on Bell's Cellpipe router, for best TV performance, and another port on the Cellpipe piped into the WAN port of a dual-WAN router..

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater
post #24 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-11, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Well got my fibe tv installed today
Install time was about 2.5 hours beginning to end. 2 was two installers.. they were EXTREMELY NICE! Wish they could all be like that. they went the extra mile for me and even did little extras that they had no obligation to do. I had some Cat 5 cable going from my Bedroom to the Main control room where i have all the Coax running to and he Installed a cat 5 jack on both ends so i can actually use the cable. He also replaced a cable i had on the kitchen TV because it was short.. he took it out, cut a proper sized one and cleanly installed it along the baseboard.
Words cant express how awesome these 2 guys where.

Now for fibe tv-
Picture is awesome. No doubt about it. Definitely better then Bell Satellite and Rogers. Virtually NO macro blocking. I'm definitely impressed. Now comes the part where im disappointed..

Whole reason of leaving Expressvu and going to fibe was that fibe carries the Portuguese channels. Well after getting the service setup n channel scrolling i noticed i was only getting 2/3 Portuguese channels. So i called up bell and much to my discontent i was told by 2 CSR's that they Are going to carry the channel, HOWEVER it is not Available yet! Like come on bell WTF.. how can they advertise a channel and even give the pricing for it on their site and even advertise the channel number, even in their programming brochures but not actually have the channel?! Like come on.. That really pissed me off. Hopefully it comes soon if not then it totally defeated the purpose of me switching to fibe.

More to come in about a week or two when i have more time to play around with the service.
post #25 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-12, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Did some playing around just now. I decided to Start recording 1 HD show on the pvr, While watching another HD Show on the same tv.. i then went down the the kitchen and turned onto another HD channel. ( total 3 HD streams running at once) It worked I then went and turned on another tv and put it on another hd channel. It did work but with heavy freezing (Only freezing on the 3rd tv that was using the 4th hd stream other tvs were still showing fine)all while my wife was watching an SD channel in another room. ( didnt freeze on that tv at all).

So looks like Depending on the bit rate of the channel you can Record an HD stream while watching 2 other HD channels + 1 SD channel.

I know Uverse recently updated there stream that allows i think 3 HD/ 2 SD at once.. so this proves that it can be done on bell to.

For the record when doing this "test" all the streams were on DIFFERENT channels. If you try it on the same channel the bandwidth usage is the same because its just using 1 stream and showing it on the various tv's.
post #26 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-15, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

FYI.. heres my speedtest with all the tv's off.
post #27 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-15, 11:59 PM

That is great speed. I am very tempted. What speed package did you subscribe? Fibe 12, 25?

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #28 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-16, 12:36 AM

@e268, the only internet plan is Fibe 6, but you get the benefit of any bandwidth not used by TV streams.
post #29 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-16, 01:31 PM

So you get Fibe 25 internet and pay for Fibe 6? That's pretty good. It would be interesting to see what the speeds look like taping 2 HD programs at once or something like that.

I'm very interested in this. I really don't want Videotron in my condo
post #30 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2010-08-16, 01:44 PM

You should still get over 10 Mbps download while 2 HD streams are active.

Fibe TV is currently available in the Anjou area of Montreal.

Tags
bell , ethernet , fibe , install , internet , modem , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in