Fibe, Questions.. - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 03:31 PM

Question Does FibeTV have The Weather Network HD?

Hi all,

I heard that the Weather Network HD is available on Rogers (in HD) but I don't see it anywhere on FibeTV - am I blind? or has it not come over to Bell yet?

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 03:33 PM

Question If I get Much Music (SD) - should I automatically get MM HD?

Hi all,

It used to be that if you get the SD channel, then you automatically get the HD version of that - is this still true? I got Much Music HD a few weeks ago, now it says I am not subscribed to this channel - but I still have a package that gives me Much Music in SD.

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350
post #138 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 08:02 AM

Try rebooting your FibeTV PVR. I read that worked for a few other people in another post.

Panasonic TC32LX60 | Denon AVR890 | Klipsch RB-61 / RC-10 / RW-10D | Motorola VIP 1232 (Bell Fibe)

post #139 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 10:22 AM

Should I Switch

I am thinking fo going to FibeTV. Currently I have Rogers TV, Internet, Phone and Wireless. I would leave the Wireless with Rogers for now. My contract period is ending in Nov so I need to decide. Currently I am waiting (forever) for a line burial and I'm getting upset with them. It looks to me like the cost is about the same for what I have so is it worth the aggravation of set up and needing a new e-mail address etc?

Thanks
Don

Samsung 55D6300 | Samsung Blu-Ray Player | Bell Fibe TV | X Box One and 360 | Too many DVD's
post #140 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 10:28 AM
Member #1

Don, first, get off of Rogers email today. You should never have an ISP email as your primary email address. Get a Gmail account or get your own domain.

Regarding switching. If the prices is the same and you can't come up with any compelling reason for switching then don't. It's not worth the aggravation.

If Bell offers significant savings and / or a step up in service at the same price then by all means consider it.

Also think, If you want to save money, consider internet service from a TPIA like Teksavvy or the Triple Bundle from Primus and cut Rogers out of some of your business.

post #141 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 10:52 PM
Rookie

Fibe TV Connection questions

I have Bell Satellite currently and I want to get some info before I switch to Fibe TV.
  1. My internet is Fibe 25 with 7 Mbps upload. If I switch to Fibe TV I will be downgraded to Fibe 16 on paper, but would still have 25 mbps connection. Can I also have 7 Mbps upload (do I need to pay $5 for that)?
  2. Am I always guaranteed to have 16 Mbps whether I watch TV or not. And when I am watching TV or recording, does the speed automatically get limited to 16 Mbps or will it still try its best to use what's available of the 25 Mbps limit.
  3. Can we pause, rewind, record any program from any receiver in the house?
  4. I know we can set up the recording from a computer outside, but can we also access the recorded content from PVR on the computer ?
  5. Is the video and audio quality really better than Satellite TV? Not sure if it makes a difference but I live in a detached home (bungalow). I know satellite quality is better than cable as I experienced both.
  6. Are the receivers wireless or do they need to be connected to each other or to the modem by a wire?
  7. Can I add an external hard-drive to increase the recording capacity. If not, will there be a future firmware update that would allow this, since I can do it with my current receiver.
post #142 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 11:47 PM

My internet is Fibe 25 with 7 Mbps upload. If I switch to Fibe TV I will be downgraded to Fibe 16 on paper, but would still have 25 mbps connection. Can I also have 7 Mbps upload (do I need to pay $5 for that)? Yes
Am I always guaranteed to have 16 Mbps whether I watch TV or not. And when I am watching TV or recording, does the speed automatically get limited to 16 Mbps or will it still try its best to use what's available of the 25 Mbps limit. No and Sort of
Can we pause, rewind, record any program from any receiver in the house? Yes
I know we can set up the recording from a computer outside, but can we also access the recorded content from PVR on the computer ? Not yet
Is the video and audio quality really better than Satellite TV? For the most part, vdery much so Not sure if it makes a difference but I live in a detached home (bungalow). I know satellite quality is better than cable as I experienced both.
Are the receivers wireless or do they need to be connected to each other or to the modem by a wire? They need to be connected to your home network either by twisted pair or coax
Can I add an external hard-drive to increase the recording capacity. If not, will there be a future firmware update that would allow this, since I can do it with my current receiver. Not yet, but there is a USB port on the receivers, maybe in the future
post #143 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-10-01, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

Can you please clarify what you mean by No and Sort of
I won't be getting even 16 Mbps all the time .... or as soon as I turn on a TV or record the 25 Mbps limit falls to 16Mbps automatically?
post #144 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-10-02, 12:44 AM

You may get more than 16 when watching (or recording) one standard show. As soon as you have two shows SD+HD you'll go below 16 and from what I have seen go as low as 12. When the TVs are off I have been able to get 25+ consistently.
post #145 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-10-02, 02:10 PM
Rookie

One last question. Is the speed limit set for the TV to use unlimited. The reason I am asking this is because based on a speed test by a bell technician directly from the wire coming to my house, with his machine he said I am getting 68 Mbps although they can't sell a number above 25Mbps just yet in Toronto.

So, if the TV speed limit is unlimited I would assume I can enjoy a 25 Mbps internet constantly regardless of recording two HD shows (I will probably never record more than two shows at the same time). Do you know how many mbps on average an HD show requires?

you say you get 25+ ... is that a significant + or just about 1 or 2 mbps. I currently have 25mbps but get 26 mbps constantly which makes me happy even though its just 1 Mbps

I pay over $200 to Bell (TV, Homephone, Internet, cell phone) and internet speed is very essential to me and I don't mind paying $10 to $20 more for that.
Bell is the best in all services in my opinion, the only thing I HATE about them is the stupid bandwidth limit. I wish we can have unlimited BW like we did 6 or 7 years ago.
post #146 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-10-02, 11:35 PM

One last question. Is the speed limit set for the TV to use unlimited.
It's not unlimited, as the tech says it's around 25 mb

So, if the TV speed limit is unlimited I would assume I can enjoy a 25 Mbps internet constantly regardless of recording two HD shows (I will probably never record more than two shows at the same time). Do you know how many mbps on average an HD show requires? No, I don't

you say you get 25+ ... is that a significant + or just about 1 or 2 mbps. I currently have 25mbps but get 26 mbps constantly which makes me happy even though its just 1 Mbps sometimes up to 3
post #147 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 10:33 AM

I have been with Videotron forever and have not had any issues with customer service. However; I am seriously thinking of making the switch to Bell Fibe because of the HD station selection and overall english tv channels Bell has versus Videotron. I live in Montreal and am curious if anyone has switched from Videotron to Bell and what there thoughts are.
post #148 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Do you know how many mbps on average an HD show requires?
I have a note that someone said 5.5 Mbps for an HD stream, but I'm not sure if that is accurate. I use Mediaroom with MTS TV and we use 6.8 Mbps and I know Telus uses 5.6 Mbps, so it would be in that general range. MTS uses 2.7 Mbps for SD and Telus uses 2.25 Mbps.
post #149 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 11:00 AM

Question

Well, I was promised that when I wasn't using my HD TV streams that I would get 25Mbps downloads even though I had to switch to Fibe6 - it was sold to me as an added benefit of the FibeTV system. After 3 months, Bell sent a letter to all of us in the Toronto Beaches neighborhood that we would now be capped to 6Mbps regardless of whether the TV streams are being used or not. So I wouldn't count on Bell giving anyone a free ride for long.

post #150 of 1005 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 03:42 PM

^i was initially a videotron customer; and albeit the customer service has been somewhat prone to transfers the technical aspect of BELL FIBE was the reason i moved; better channels, more choice, better quality, and the numerous ways ion which you can apply new tech (apps, web use, streams, programme recordings via web, mobile tv) made my choice easier;

ALSO; keep in mind to avoid CSR foul ups ALL calls for info are directed to a dedicated FIBE customer service dept so as to offer added value;

IN short; i am happy with my move and highly recommend to all!!

Tags
bell , ethernet , fibe , install , internet , modem , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in