My Observations and Experience on FibeTV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 10:06 PM

Thanks Dr.

I hope so about the reliability thing, as my internet sometimes goes down once a week or twice a month. Usually a reboot of the router and modem clears it up though.

I really hate the Rogers guide and had a lot of troubles with it reliably taping shows due to slight errors in programming titles. Plus we're really getting the shaft from Rogers lately with old grandfathered bundles being cancelled.

I do live in the Beaches, in fact there was a free ice cream truck run by Bell on our street on Saturday that was actively promoting this FibeTV. I've scheduled a consultation at my house tomorrow to further discuss details. They are offering free installation, free HD-PVR and an extra set top box for 3yrs and with Fibe25 (total thoroughput without any TVs on) and it should be the same as what I'm paying now with Rogers (are there any better promotions on at the moment?). My only hesitation is losing my Rogers HD-PVR since I purchased it out-right and my 1Tb external HDD. Not looking forward to 3yrs down the road when I have to pay for the rental. I'm thinking Bell isn't much better than Rogers and I just don't want to trade one set of problems for another.

My big questions now are still whether than are any audio handshake HDMI issues with my Yamaha RXV-3900 reciever - I remember sometime ago reading that some Motorola boxes have some slient pause when switching channels and it takes a bit for the receiver to lock in the proper audio stream via HDMI - don't know if that will be the case here until I try it. Unless anyone here have FibeTV with a Yamaha 3900 connected via HDMI?

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Observations on Fibe TV

Had some picture freezing on BBC Canada yesterday + ABC HD in the morning. Jump to another channel and back and everything is fine again.
Has only happened twice in the past month.

I run HDMI from my VIP1232 to my Marantz SR7200 and have never had an audio handshake issue.
post #18 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 08:27 AM

I should point out that Bell charges you for Fibe 6 internet, but you get the full performance of the line, which is about 25Mbps with no TVs on. The monthly bandwidth cap is 25GB, which may be important to some people

You had asked earlier about any drawbacks. One minor inconvenience in Mediaroom is there is no slow motion or frame advance function. I was surprised since I thought every PVR had that function.

post #19 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 10:35 AM

Unhappy My FibeTV experience (just installed and switched from Rogers HD-PVR)

Hi all,

After asking some questions here, I thought I'd just share my experiences so far in brief after switching from Rogers HD.

I called 2wks ago to Rogers to confirm that I could just cancel my Rogers TV at anytime without penalty - and they said yes. First mistake! They hadn't transferred me to retentions which has the whole picture. Needless to say, I had forgotten that I did indeed have a contract with Rogers - a "promotion" I had forgotten about (which didn't show up on the regular CS Rep's computer) and that I had to pay out 30days cable from when I cancel, plus $20 a month for the 4 remaining months I had left on the contract. I only found this out after I had FibeTV installed and called to cancel that day (after I had been told previously that I could cancel at anytime!). So I bit the bullet just to get rid of Rogers!

They came to install yesterday at 9am within my 8a-12p window. They were there from 9am to 4pm! They were professional, but just slow - a guy was sick and they called in some help, at one time they had 4 guys at my house. I missed the entire day of work instead of just the morning. They installed the HD-PVR in the basement (Home Theatre), the Modem in the 2nd floor workroom and a STB in the 3rd floor bedroom (SD only for now) as requested.

They demoed it to me and it looked great! The menus/UI are leaps and bounds above the Rogers HD-PVR - although I was getting 23.8Mbps when the TVs are off and I am in the Beaches area. Turned everything off to rush off to work for the end of day.

Came home and the upstairs STB was a different story - all the channels were pixellated and stuttering to the point that I couldn't watch anything. I had set the HD-PVR to record while I was away. The downstairs PVR box was fine, although I did notice a slight sound drop out every 5-10mins though which is really annoying. The PVR downstairs played the recorded material fine - but the upstairs STB couldn't stream from it either, just stuttered to the point of unwatchable. Rebooted the box, but no change. The next morning the upstairs STB could watch TV no problem, but still could not stream the PVR in the basement of recorded material, still stuttered. So now upstairs is not really watchable. I guess I'll have to call the technician again.

PQ wise, the HD stuff seemed a little bit better than Rogers. However the SD is noticeably worse than Rogers. I now believe that the Rogers HD-PVR passed the regular 480i stuff straight to my Yamaha RX-V3900 amp - and the amp did a great job upconverting. Whereas the Bell VIP1232 converts all signals including SD to 720p (or whatever I select) - when that is passed to my amp, I've set it to not process it, so what I'm seeing is what the PVR box up-converts (very jaggy!). I don't want my amp to process anything 720p or higher, but it would be nice for it to process 480i stuff, but I can't seem to set the Bell box to pass along SD broadcast un-converted.

Overall not the stellar upgrade I was hoping for. I hope to resolve the upstairs bedroom STB stuttering problem sometime soon and will update. In the meantime I've found another site with some info on my problem - apparently its not so uncommon - argh!

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350

Last edited by hugh; 2010-09-01 at 11:40 AM.
post #20 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 06:36 PM

wm_cheng: how do you have the STB' s connected together? Are you using ethernet, or coax? If it's coax, I've heard of the pixelation issue can be common with it.
post #21 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 09:25 PM

wm_cheng: I've read there's a known issue with HDMI audio on this box. Have you tried the optical output?

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD
post #22 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 11:13 PM

Argh! YES and Yes!

It's all coax (some installer prefer coax for some reason) - but I have an old coax that runs from the basement to the 3rd floor that they re-used which I am suspecting could be the problem.

Can I still use HDMI for video and Optical at the same time for the audio portion - I don't see a menu setting where I can tell it to output audio via optical but video via HDMI. Do I have to use component for video and optical for audio to get around this sound issue?

I ran a HPNA test from the router to the STBs that may indicate a coax problem with one of my STBs (assuming its the upstairs one). It indicates that the per: line of the results needs to equal 0 - one of my boxes don't (don't really know what per: means, but it may indicate a coax wiring problem).

HPNA Test results:
00:26:82:fb:a7:02-->00:25:f1:b4:92:14: pkts: 1000/1000 per: 0.00e+00 snr 39.69db, rate: 112Mbps 16/7 Rx power: -7.77 dBm tx_npkts 1000
and
00:26:82:fb:a7:02-->00:25:f1:b4:8b:89: pkts: 1000/860 per: 1.40e-01 snr 37.88db, rate: 112Mbps 16/7 Rx power: -9.33 dBm tx_npkts 1000

It's the second entry (per: 1.40e-01) that troubles me - its supposed to be 0 - but don't really know what that means.

post #23 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 12:39 AM

EPG

Looking at pics of the Guide for FibeTV and comparing it to Telus' Optik TV Guide, I much prefer Telus' version, with the channel list on the bottom, and the PiP in the upper left. The colours are also a bit more appealing, and I also like how they show the channel logo in the list, instead of some accronym like "BBCWNS" for BBC World News.

Still, any form of Mediaroom is a massive improvement over Rogers slow, out-dated, and (depending on what colours you select for it) rather visually offensive Guide.
post #24 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 08:41 PM

My understanding is that you can run both HDMI for video of optical for audio, without having to change any settings. Let me know if it worked for you, as I feel I will soon have the same issue.

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD
post #25 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 10:56 AM

The technician came by last night (afterwork which I was surprised they could arrange) for another 1.5hrs. He replaced the only coax cable that was re-used existing. All is well now. The entire system is Coax (except for the line coming into the VDSL modem). They ran new coax to all the boxes from the modem. Unfortunately I now have a coax wire on the outside of my house from the basement to the 3rd floor and coax wire stapled to my baseboard from the 3rd floor entry point around my bedroom to the opposite wall where the TV is - not the tidiest install that I was hoping for.

Streaming is fine and the PQ for HD is surperb. I still wish there was a way to let SD 480i signals pass through the box to let something else do the upconversion after it. The UI is so much better than Rogers! Also that sound dropping out issue in the basement PVR seems to have gone away for the time being, even though I did nothing - I find it hard to believe that could be solved by a better connection to the other STB. Its still HDMI audio to my receiver only.

Anyways, all is well now and I'll update my review once the TV season starts and I start to spend a little more time with it.

post #26 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Major failure on Fibe TV in the Beaches today. I called up support and they said they are working on it - seems whatever happened, happened at the source. My VLAN for the video is down. Now just waiting for it to come back up.
post #27 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 12:39 PM

It's down in my area as well (montreal). I only have access to very few channels. When I called Bell, there was a recorded message saying they were experiencing technical difficulties.

post #28 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 02:25 PM

Great.... I should get my Fibe TV installed today and Bell are having techn. problems... lol... Let us know when the service is back.... for you Joepro and Pshine...

I guess no ETA on when it'S going to be back to normal ???
Is the Internet down too or just Fibe TV ?

@Joepro... So far (except today) you like it ? I'm in Montreal too and will get it tonight 5pm.
post #29 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

It's back up.
post #30 of 402 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 08:55 PM

So far not too impressed
My installation was suppose to be today from 5pm - 9pm....
At 8:45pm, still no news from Bell... So i decided to call them... And they can't find the info if the tech will be there or not. The agent even ask me to call back tomorrow during the normal hours to make a follow-up...

Oh well... Just wasted an evening waiting for Bell to prove me wrong.... i thought they change.... i guess not.

Tags
fibe tv , review , rogers , toronto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in