Service Changes (Speed Slowdown) with Zero Communication - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto - FibeTV: VIP1232HD PVR, VIP1200, Sharp Aquos 37" 1080p (LC37D62U), Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver
Angry Service Changes (Speed Slowdown) with Zero Communication

Hello all,

I have noted a slowdown in my internet performance, specifically in the upstream with my BES service.

I used to test at 24mbit down, and around 10mbit up.

Today I noticed a drop in my upstream speed to approximately 4.5mbit, downstream remains at 24mbit.

I decided to reboot my VDSL2 router a few times to make sure it wasn't just a glitch, and I can verify that my stats have now changed :

Code:
VDSL2 Firmware Version			1.0.6r15eIK105012
VDSL2 Link Status			UP 	
Downstream line rate			39552 kbps
Upstream line rate			8064 kbps
Bearer Downstream payload rate		27072 kbps
Bearer Upstream payload rate		5424 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate	68064 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate		90224 kbps
Downstream Training Margin		27.9 dB
Downstream delay			3.8 ms
Upstream delay				1.8 ms
Tx total power				-12.9 dbm
FE Tx total power			14.1 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length		882 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length	765 ft
G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length	931 ft
My Upstream stats used to be approximately 10000 kbps. (vs. 5424 now)

So I called BES customer service and was informed (after being told that Bell only guarantees 3mbit/1mbit for this service) that yes, Bell had adjusted the profiles across the whole network for all customers.

I told him how completely unprofessional this change was in light of having received absolutely ZERO communication about it. I also told him that the upstream speed was one of the things I appreciated most about BES, so my enjoyment of the services were being drastically reduced.

I know that some might chime in to say that BES is a "beta" service or some other line similar, but the fact remains that we all pay real money for this service - discounted or not - and the very least we should expect is clear and timely communication about ANY changes impacting our service.

I also complained about the online portal not working, and was informed that it has been this way since Sept/Oct 2009. I told him I found this very strange as during my installation in early December, I was repeatedly told by the technician(s) about this amazing feature and how it wouldn't work until I had received my first bill. They also shared with me what speed my line was syncing at (27mbit/10mbit). I later confirmed this myself from within the modem's VDSL status section.

So - in short, my expectations have not been met as I haven't been provided with the services advertised either on their website, or by the agents selling and installing the services on my behalf.

Still - I have a slim hope that my concerns will be heard as I asked the telephone agent to please pass along my concerns to management, and he assured me that he has escalated the issue. We'll see...

-- Phob

Last edited by Phobia; 2010-01-21 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-01-24, 10:40 PM

Huh. I thought that it was just problems with the line. Thanks for calling, that is disappointing. Overall I haven't felt the pain of it that much, but sucks that there was no notification
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-01-30, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Location: Toronto, Bell IPTV, Denon 3600 w/ Definitive speakers, Apple TV, Panasonic Viera TH-58PZ750U, iMac
I just ran a speed check on my service. A test of my internet download speed is 22Mbps which is consistent since I joined the service in Sept. '09. (Didn't included links to sites since it is my first post.)

Upload is 1.8Mbps today. It used to be on the order of 8Mbps. I called the service desk and received a slightly different explanation. To paraphrase, "Bell does not guarantee the upload speed and it depends on the time of day. Check again this afternoon and it may be 8Mbps again."

Code:
VDSL2 Firmware Version               1.0.6r15eIK105012
VDSL2 Link Status                    UP
Downstream line rate                 33760 kbps
Upstream line rate                   3504 kbps
Bearer Downstream payload rate       23104 kbps
Bearer Upstream payload rate         2288 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate   52112 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate      69984 kbps
Downstream Training Margin           21.2 dB
Downstream delay                     3.8 ms
Upstream delay                       1.8 ms
Tx total power                       -10.1 dbm
FE Tx total power                    14.1 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length           1059 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length  942 ft
G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length   1178 ft

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto - FibeTV: VIP1232HD PVR, VIP1200, Sharp Aquos 37" 1080p (LC37D62U), Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver
Hi there,

I don't doubt that you may have been told that, but I would find it highly questionable that Bell automatically adjusts the sync rate on modem profiles several times per day.

Maybe they will ultimately lower the upstream rates to 2mbit for all customers - that would really suck, but I've seen others reporting that sync rate as well.

That seems a little more likely to me than what the Bell tech suggests.

Just so you know - it seems like a lot of the folks there don't necessarily have all the information. Certainly the person I talked to wasn't aware of the speed reduction, and suggested it was just a congestion issue until I pointed out that it was my sync that had changed, and not my line. He placed me on hold a few times and got a bit more info each time. Finally he found out that, yes, the upstream speeds were being reduced globally.

How many receivers do you have? Maybe its a per TV kind of thing...

Anyway - we'll all have to wait and see I guess.

-- Phob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in