Tivo with Bell IPTV ? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Tivo with Bell IPTV ?

Has anyone had any success configuring a TIVO to use the IPTV service? As attractive as it looks, it is not enough to make me want to give up my Tivo machines.

Delsdad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 03:39 PM

It can be done, but with limitations. Do you have IPTV in your building? Have you thought about what you are trying to accomplish and how you will hook everything up?

One Tivo hooked up to one STB can record one SD channel (no HD). One Bell PVR can record up to 4 channels at once including 2 HD. The recordings can then be played back on any STB in the home.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 07:04 PM
Rookie

TIVO will not work with IPTV it will only work with authorized hardware and TIVO is not compatible for Bell the only hardware it works with is the provided Motorola boxes

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-22, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

The situation is as such: Current setup includes 3 tivo units, on Rogers cable. 2 units using rogers digital boxes, on unit using regular cable.

If I can get listings for the IPTV lineup, The signal out of the Bell box could go through the tivo unit. This assumes that tivo has the IR codes to control the bell terminals.

I spoke with someone at Tivo about this, and there position was that they did not wish to support IPTV at all, no matter who the provider is.

Our preference for the Tivo boxes is the one thing keeping us from switching to Bell IPTV. Frankly no other pvr is as usable as the tivo, nor has the great user interface.

Doug
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-24, 02:10 AM

TiVo supports IPTV since they support AT&T U-verse which uses the same hardware and software as Bell. (Motorola VIP1216/1200 and Microsoft Mediaroom).

It looks like the channel numbers are the same as Bell satellite, although Bell IPTV doesn't include all the channels. So everything should work.

You will need a total of 3 STBs to connect to your 3 TiVo boxes turning them into single channel PVRs. That's assuming that you want to do everything through TiVo and ignore the PVR that comes built into the VIP1216.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-24, 10:31 PM

The channel numbers are not the same as Bell ExpressVu (Satellite) which recently renumbered such that all HD channels are in the 1000-1100 band. On Bell Entertainment, HD is 800-900.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-24, 11:00 PM

TiVo can't record HD from IPTV or satellite so only the SD channel numbers matter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-01-31, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I would be happy with just recording the SD channels, and using the Bell box to record the HD content. I may give this a whirl.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 04:54 PM

@delsdad:

Did this set up work for you? I'm in a similar situation.

thanks.

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in