So all was going well until about Thursday of this past week. I started getting audio droputs more frequently while watching TV, but then it got really bad yesterday morning.
I started fiddling around with the settings on my AVR since I thought that's what it was, but I couldn't seem to fix things. I then thought it was maybe that I wasn't getting a quality internet connection, but it seemed fine on the computer while I had the issues happening. I also realized that the video was fine even on the HD streams, so out of anything, the video would become choppy or pixelate as well if the speed wasn't there.
My receiver would loose the incoming audio completely sometimes for 3-5 seconds, then it would return for a few moments, then drop out again.
I went to google, and it seems this is a well known issue with the Motorola VIP 1200 series boxes and the best solution that seemed to work for me was to switch from Surround sound to Stereo audio on the Motorola STB. It seems to work better now, but I'm not getting the Surround sound piped out from the STB. Luckily my AVR can do the processing and convert a 2CH stereo up to 5.1 somewhat well.
It seems this is a well known issue with the ATT UVerse users and they've been dealing with the problem for over a year it looks like. I'll try giving Bell a call about this soon - maybe it's a bad STB, but from what I read, it's related to more the chipset in the VIP 1200 series boxes.
At least I'm not in a contract with this service! Regardless, the internet speeds are good enough that I'll be keeping the service.