Audio dropouts - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-11-29, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Audio dropouts

So all was going well until about Thursday of this past week. I started getting audio droputs more frequently while watching TV, but then it got really bad yesterday morning.

I started fiddling around with the settings on my AVR since I thought that's what it was, but I couldn't seem to fix things. I then thought it was maybe that I wasn't getting a quality internet connection, but it seemed fine on the computer while I had the issues happening. I also realized that the video was fine even on the HD streams, so out of anything, the video would become choppy or pixelate as well if the speed wasn't there.

My receiver would loose the incoming audio completely sometimes for 3-5 seconds, then it would return for a few moments, then drop out again.

I went to google, and it seems this is a well known issue with the Motorola VIP 1200 series boxes and the best solution that seemed to work for me was to switch from Surround sound to Stereo audio on the Motorola STB. It seems to work better now, but I'm not getting the Surround sound piped out from the STB. Luckily my AVR can do the processing and convert a 2CH stereo up to 5.1 somewhat well.

It seems this is a well known issue with the ATT UVerse users and they've been dealing with the problem for over a year it looks like. I'll try giving Bell a call about this soon - maybe it's a bad STB, but from what I read, it's related to more the chipset in the VIP 1200 series boxes.

At least I'm not in a contract with this service! Regardless, the internet speeds are good enough that I'll be keeping the service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-11-29, 12:03 PM

Audio Dropout

Try using optical cables to your sound system instead of HDMI, that worked for me
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-11-29, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I actually tried using optical and that had the same result. I'm thinking of trying using component cables as well just in case it's an issue with the HDMI port being in use. I did change my receiver to take the input from optical instead of HDMI, but I'll try the component / optical combination.

It's funny, I changed it back to Surround sound and it's been fine for about an hour. I'm going to try a reboot of the box again to see if that is needed, as well as a reset of the box. Unfortunately I think recordings are lost when the box is reset. Oh well - rather try for a working box than one that doesn't work as intended.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-11-30, 01:10 PM
Rookie

Audio dropouts

I have run into the same problems in the past... tried HDMI, fibre optic audio cables... didn't make a difference.

Changed image resolution to 720P (instead of 1080i) even though my tv supports both and audio drop outs are pretty much gone.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-11-30, 01:14 PM
Rookie

Audio dropouts

If you do a soft reboot (dots on screen) or hard reboot (bolts on screen)... you will NOT lose your recordings. FYI - I have had the service for almost a year now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-11-30, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

What is the procedure you use for a hard reboot?

I did a soft reboot on the weekend (unplugged the power and plugged it back in) and did get the dots on the screen.

I also changed the output resolution to 720p and the issues seem to be pretty much gone now too, so I'm hoping that will be the fix.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-11-30, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Audio dropouts/Reboot

I have seen a procedure - button sequence in the past for a hard reboot...

What I usually end up doing is holding the power button down for 3 sec... once the Motorola box lights up I do this again until I see the bolts show up on the screen. Very scientific indeed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in