Condo has dish on roof, can I sub to Bell and keep Cable? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-13, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Condo has dish on roof, can I sub to Bell and keep Cable?

It appears like Bell has my condo wired for Bell TV with a dish on the roof. If I wish to get the service, must I cancel Rogers? I may consider keeping both Services to see which one works best for me (Plus my Internet is via cable as well).

I'm waiting for the IPTV service, but it's not yet offered in my building.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-14, 12:39 AM

Check with your condo board.
You may not have a choice. Call Bell. If you get rid of the tv, I think you won't be able to get the Internet easily through Rogers, since it's the same cable.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-14, 07:15 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
This is not something the members here can answer. It is a function of what services your condo decides to make available, existing wiring, condo regulations etc.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-14, 02:03 PM
Rookie

It is possible to use a diplexer, to get both rogers & Bell down the same piece of cable but exactly who would do the connections in the Closet of a building is a mystery to me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-14, 07:49 PM

generally you can still use rogers for internet with out tv, and use bell for tv instead, usually the cable company will put a filter on the line and only charge you for internet if thats all you want. Bell and rogers maybe on separate lines, or they may have used diplexer to combine them into one.As some one pointed out, your condo board may be able to provide the answer as to how it was wired, but i would imagine you could use either, since not every one would want to purchase a bell receiver, especially if they already have a rogers box.The bell dish is probably there as a convenience to give people choice.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-15, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your responses. I will check with building staff.

The strangest thing is that Bell TV is mentioned nowhere in the building (including newsletters, welcome package, etc..) Very off that Bell is keeping it so quiet when they invested money into the building. They should offer promos when people move in. If I didn't research this myself I would even know the service was available.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-15, 09:58 AM
Rookie

Sadly I see this all the time. I can tell you of 1 High End Condo in Toronto, that had the Nimiq 2 stacked system installed over 18 months ago and as yet, there is not one Bell TV customer in the building.

It is almost as though it was done and then forgotten about.

At the other end of the scale, Bell TV, run a "kiosk" in some buildings 2 or 3 times a year. (Bell call a kiosk, a temp setup of an HD TV and an HD PVR in a common area, to show off the system that is available to residents).

As for informing people as they move in, yes that would make sense but I doubt Bell have that ability.

There should at the very least by some kind of sticker on the Management Office Door, or a display with brochures available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in