Successfully Replaced Actiontec T1200h with Asus RT-AC56U - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-09-18, 03:23 PM

I'm doing this with a DLink DIR-890L and every couple of minutes I lose the TV signal but it comes right back (I need to change the channel and back to exit the screen that states the signal was lost though). Is there any setting other than the multicast settings that I may need to adjust? Do I need to turn off or on one or the other of the IPv4 or IPv6 Multicast settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-11-08, 05:30 PM
Rookie

So, I bought a new Asus router, the RT-3100, because the old one was dying. Anyways, I followed your instructions on post #3 to the letter, and for the last 6 months, I have been experiencing random audio drops. The volume goes really low, then comes back up to set listening levels. I have tried everything I could think of to get past this. I have my PVR hardwired direct to the router/modem, so wireless is not the issue. Cable integrity is fine, as well as all my settings. So, I called Telus, and they're sending someone out with the T3200 Actiontec. It'll do everything that I wanted my Asus to do, the only question is 2.4GHz coverage for our phones. Everything else in the house is hardwired, either through switches or direct, except the laptop, which I use the 5GHz band for, as I'm on 150/150.

I don't know what else to do?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-11-27, 08:28 PM

Thanks for your post I was able to get my wireless boxes all working perfectly sweet success thanks man.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-01-01, 09:50 PM
Rookie

Professor,

Thank you for posting this information. I have also switched over my ASUS AC5300 to your configuration and no longer use the Actiontec router. I am having one problem though, when I use the onthego website or the optik GO app while I am at home I can't seem to play channels with the house beside them. The app tells me that those channels are only for viewing at home on my Telus internet connection? I am at home and I am connecting wirelessly to my router, Do you have any idea on that?

Thank you
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-01-03, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Check your device's public IP address (I just google "what is my ip") and make sure its actually showing up as your Telus IP... If not it could be because you're using a VPN/Proxy or adblocker software or something like that...

I've never had this issue and use the onthego website quite often on my PC at home using my Asus router.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-01-03, 05:21 PM
Rookie

The problem seems to have fixed itself. I tried the apps again a few hours later and they worked fine, even for channels which you can only watch at home. I haven't had any problems with the setup the last couple of days.

Wanted to confirm why you are changing the wireless settings for 2.4/5ghz? what is the point of that exactly? I mean, the additional boxes you have for wireless stbs are connected by access points usually?

Anyway. Thank you again for your help.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-04-24, 08:48 PM
Rookie

Drops

I set this up a couple days ago & all seemed to be working great till tonight, Now i have the same issues as a previous poster where the picture drops after a couple seconds & i have to leave the channel and come back to start it again. AC3100 everything hard wired. The only difference is I am not using a dedicated switch just for the TV boxes. Going to try that as I have a second cisco 24 port in my rack as a spare/back-up.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-04-24, 10:11 PM
Rookie

On another note, recordings don't seem to be working tonight either!! Once a channel has started recording, it can't be viewed, and the recording is a black screen if you view it after its finished!
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-04-24, 11:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowrym View Post
On another note, recordings don't seem to be working tonight either!! Once a channel has started recording, it can't be viewed, and the recording is a black screen if you view it after its finished!
Just to update my situation, after removing my asus, hooking up both my asus and the actiontech, then just the actiontech, and still having the same issue, i figured there was something wrong with the telus optic boxes, so as I'm hooking up my Asus back to how I had it I realized i hadn't restarted the telus fibre-optic modem......once restarted, everything is working great!! So just incase anyone has issues down the road, be sure to restart all equipment !!!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-05-04, 08:57 PM
Rookie

One last post I think! After a few days of testing, everything seemed to be working good for 2-3 days, then back to loosing signal after 10-15 seconds until a channel change, where it would be the same problem....

I ended up having to get a 5 port netgear GS105E (supports IMGP snooping / Multicast) to separate my STB's from My network. I expect It may have had to do with my Procurve 1810G not supporting management of multicast, From what i've read my previous issue with loosing signal on any given channel after about 10-15sec was related to the Multicast stream starting, since I've added the second switch and moved my IPTV to a single port on the AC-3100, everything seems to be running smooth again, the PVR & STB's have IP's outside of my network.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-09-23, 06:54 PM

Just want to add my experiences here. Wasn't able to get the Linksys EA9500 working via custom VLAN configuration, but the Netgear Nighthawk X8 worked easily via "VLAN - bridge group" and just selecting the port.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 10:55 AM
Rookie

Just wanted to extend my appreciation to tehPrOfessOr for sharing his experience and knowledge on how to configure your home router to bypass the Actiontec T3200M (Telus provided) gateway. I recently had Telus install their Optik TV service and at the same time has our internet upgrade to fibre optic 150/150. Initially, I was excited to be getting the faster internet, not to mention the vastly improved "up" speeds and unlimited data. But once the technician had installed the services I was very disappointed with my 'disconnected' home network vs. the Optik TV network. Many of my devices did not perform the way they used to (slow to respond) and some just stopped working all together, not to mention that I had just recently upgrade my network to a mesh system. I thought I was tech savvy enough to figure out how to bypass the Telus supplied router, like I had done in the past - but to no avail. After days of searching on the internet for a solution I finally came across this post and followed it to the letter and VOILA! - everytthing was through my network and working as it was supposed to. The Actiontec T3200M is now collecting dust in the closet.

Many thanks tehPrOfessOr.

SelfTaught.

Tags
actiontec , asus , fibre , optik tv , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in