Netflix app coming to Optik TV - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 2015-03-24, 01:58 PM

The Netflix client app that runs on the Telus STB was probably written by an app dev. company that specializes in Mediaroom apps, either on contract to Telus or on their own with the expectation to market it to other Mediaroom providers.

If it's not a problem with the Netflix interface or servers, it could be a bug, a limitation of the Mediaroom API or infrastructure, or a limitation of the STB hardware. Even though the STB supports surround sound for TV signals, I think the data access APIs were designed for supplementary data, not for full-fledged streaming.

That said, if surround sound is important to you, I would initiate a formal trouble ticket with a tracking number (or whatever terminology Telus uses). It would probably help if you could confirm that the movie plays in surround sound on other hardware when you call them.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-11-29 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 2015-03-24, 07:29 PM

Netflix generally writes its own apps. I can't find anything specifically either way about the Mediaroom app, but it's fairly similar to Netflix's PS4 app that I use, Telus is not the first to launch it on the Mediaroom platform.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 2015-03-24, 07:53 PM

I know Netflix writes their own apps for the major platforms, but I couldn't find anything about Mediaroom. Which other providers offer Netflix through Mediaroom?

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 02:54 AM

My searching earlier came up with at least one -- Deutsche Telekom added it last year, and they appear to use Mediaroom.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 09:38 AM

Thanks for that info Gilles. I knew Mediaroom was used outside North America, but I never checked those for Netflix. Here's an interesting article I just found that confirms that the Mediaroom app was written by Netflix and that this is part of Netflix's strategy to be included on as many cable/sat/IPTV boxes as possible.

https://gigaom.com/2014/12/10/netfli...mpany-in-2015/

People who are having trouble with surround sound may consider contacting Netflix directly.
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 2015-12-29, 11:08 AM

Question NetFlix Signing Out

Hey all,

Anyone else having the issue with Netflix intermittently getting signed out so that the next time you go to use it you have to enter your ID and password again (which is a pain).

We are NOT using the "Sign Out" option...just exiting. We can do this numerous times and it works fine...but then for unknown reasons, it will be out for unknown reasons.

General question - we have the "4 Screens + Ultra HD" subscription. What happens if our kids should go over the 4 screens total at one time...could that result in our main Optik TV account getting "signed out" ?
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 2015-12-29, 02:02 PM

I moved your post to the Telus Netflix thread. I think your theory makes sense since you have more than 4 devices. This section about "check out your recent streaming activity" may help:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/29
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 2016-06-07, 05:57 PM
Rookie

telus optik netflix and internet with a different provider

Any update on this? i phoned telus today and they confirmed that if you had internet via another provider and just optik tv, netflix would work. however, i don't believe it. can anyone confirm that this works or doesn't work?

Thanks!
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 2016-06-07, 09:43 PM

I'm pretty sure nothing has changed since post 41. You won't be able to use the Optik TV Netflix app, but you can use your internet provider to watch Netflix on a Chromecast or other device.

Are you currently an Optik TV customer?
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 2016-06-09, 04:01 PM

Unhappy NetFlix - Have to sign in repeatedly!

Anyone else have the issue (or the solution) to having to repeatedly sign in with user id/password when using Channel 422/NetFlix on Optik TV?

I have the UltraHD/4 screen subscription to Netflix, and another family member does sign in to my Netflix account on THEIR TV/Optik setup (another house/Optik plan etc).

We also often use NetFlix on other devices, tablets etc (not all at the same time).

Our problem is that after using NetFlix on the Optik TV, we exit (just by changing channels - NOT signing off) but the next time we go in, we have to re-enter all the credentials. Frustrating.

Thoughts?
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 2016-11-01, 01:32 AM

Anyone know how to change the colour of the subtitles when viewing Netflix on channel 422? Hard to read the white sometimes.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 2016-11-01, 01:47 AM

You can try using a PC to change the fonts on your Netflix profile, but it probably won't work unless Netflix has updated their app for telecom providers. Here is a similar discussion for Bell Fibe TV, which uses the same software:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-...ml#post2711106
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 2016-11-01, 05:01 PM

Thanks, will try that and also going to try watching Netflix through my media player or Blu-Ray.
The Narcos white subs are really hard to read.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 2016-11-06, 10:38 PM

Telus is advertising that they now support 4K for Netflix (assuming you have a 4K Telus box).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in