When will there be NEW OptikTV Hardware - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

When will there be NEW OptikTV Hardware

Subscribed to OptikTV over 3 years ago and have the Cisco box, but was wondering when Telus is going to revamp the product line and provide something newer and better. I know they have a new wireless model. Was at my parents who have Shaw and have to say the PVR that Shaw provides seems much better, faster, better laid out menus. In short the OptikTv hardware is dated and old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 11:07 AM
Rookie

My girlfriend has Shaw and I find the Shaw interface to be slow and unintuitive compared to Optik, Just what new hardware were you wanting anyway?
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 12:19 PM

I just re-joined and noticed the performance of media room to be a bit slower versus Shaw's Gateway system.

In support of Bpl521, I'd say the impetus is that Microsoft sold off mediaroom to Ericsson in 2013 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericsson_Mediaroom) but we haven't seen any update to provide the features they support. It would be nice.

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 05:18 PM

They were just updated. The CIS330 and CIS430 are replaced with the ISB7100 and ISB7500. There's also a wireless ISB7105. These aren't sold in retailers yet (at least from what I've seen), but you can get them from Telus. I have the ISB 7100 and it's significantly better than the CIS330 which in turn was better than the IPN330 (silver box). All of them still look the same, but do have hardware upgrades.

Last edited by LeafsFan91; 2014-09-28 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Model # correction
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 08:59 PM

Could you elaborate on what makes them "significantly better"?
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-09-28, 12:12 AM

If you look at the specs of the two, you'll see the ISB7100 has a newer Broadcom processor vs an older Sigma. I wish I could find a spec sheet to find the speed and size of the DRAM on the CIS330, but from using both it's definitely faster.

The biggest thing you'll notice is when you plug it in. The ISB7100 boots up much faster. I think maybe in half the time. I scroll through the guide A LOT and the ISB7100 does it faster (still not perfect though). This probably why I like it a lot more. If you don't channel surf this and just pick your channel and watch then it won't make that much of a difference except when you're going through the menu or on demand.

The other issue I noticed that the longer you leave the CIS330 without rebooting it slowly gets slower and slower. The ISB7100 doesn't really do this. I'm not sure why because it seems like a software issue, but it could be that the newer hardware is better at handling Microsoft's software and hence doesn't slow up noticeably. :P I still think that can be fixed in software.

It's also thinner if that matters. lol
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-09-28, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Radamanthus, I find the Optik for the most part slow to navigate I know a occasional reboot tends to improve things, but for the most part it is simply old technology. Been around for 4 years at least. Most people don't even keep their computers that long.

One real annoyance is when navigating channels and you come across one you do not subscribe to, it takes forever to move to the next channels. I also find the menus dated and c'mon lets get rid of that green color style in everything I know it's the Telus color, but yuck.

Which has me thinking my Telus wireless modem/router has got to be that old as well, wonder how much better the new modem/router is in terms of performance
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-09-28, 09:55 PM

When I started with my 3 year contract with Telus in Oct '11, I said to the CSR that I was glad to get the free rental of the CIS330 and CIS430 because there was no point in buying equipment that has been out for a few years already. By the end of the contract they will likely have something newer.

It turns out that all they did since then was up the HD size in the CIS430 to 500gb and introduce the wireless ISB7105 (which requires a $100 Wireless Access Point add-on. It will also work fine with a wired connection though.) London Drugs right now is selling a new ISB7105 for $99 instead of the regular $149. I wonder what the adoption rate is for the new equipment so far? I suspect the extra charge for a Wireless Access Point is a bit of an obstacle.

I'd like to see user reports for these Cisco ISB7100 and ISB7500 units. They are really only new to Telus. They were introduced in the US a few years back.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-10-02, 04:22 AM

I am still wondering if the new 7500 PVR has a larger HD or not?

As for the wireless access point, i think you would only be charged if you wanted it installed after your initial installation. If it were easier to install the wireless boxes than to hard wire them, wouldn't they go with the wireless boxes including the access point?

Terry

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-10-04, 04:52 PM

Where are the new boxes information listed? Thanks. My old 430 is acting up I think.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-10-05, 01:37 AM

I haven't seen the ISB7500 in stores at all. They're all still selling the CIS430. I think you can only get them directly from Telus. The Telus installer had one with him when I had it installed about 6 months ago, but I already had my own 430 to use. Telus doesn't distinguish between them anywhere though, since they're nearly identical boxes other than the slightly faster processor.
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-10-05, 05:58 AM

It's not really unusual for TV STBs to be slow and underpowered. It keeps costs lower that way.
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-10-05, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_collector View Post
I am still wondering if the new 7500 PVR has a larger HD or not?

As for the wireless access point, i think you would only be charged if you wanted it installed after your initial installation. If it were easier to install the wireless boxes than to hard wire them, wouldn't they go with the wireless boxes including the access point?

Terry
I haven't been able to find documentation about HD size, I would expect it is the same (now standard) 500gb size that the new and refurbished CIS430 PVR comes with.

http://www.att.com/media/att/2013/su...1b0_ven501.pdf
This is the additional hardware you would need (with Telus branding of course) to use the ISB7105 wirelessly. I saw in the "terms and conditions" that Telus charges $99 to buy it or $5/month to rent it. Maybe they would waive the rental fee on a term (like they do with the other hardware)
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-10-06, 09:24 PM

Will Telus update CIS rental units to the new devices if asked?
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-10-06, 10:20 PM

^^^^
Good question, I'd like to know that as well. I would suspect they would have to be malfunctioning before they would replace them. The old 320gb CIS430 has been outdated for years though, since the 500gb HD became the standard. You would lose any recorded shows stored on the old PVR in a swap, so I haven't thought of trying to get a newer one yet.

Does anyone have experience with getting updated rental hardware, apart from dropping Optik for awhile, then going back? (Even then, they likely have a lot of refurbished CIS430 and CIS330 in inventory.)

Also, if you update to a wireless ISB7105, does it follow that you would have to have a matching ISB7500 PVR to go with it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in