When will there be NEW OptikTV Hardware - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-01-16, 07:26 PM
Veteran

Broadcasts are 720p. As for on-demand, it's either 720p or 1080i (I don't know for sure). I was told by a tech that a future firmware update will enable 1080p, but it will be for on-demand / ppv only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-01-17, 11:09 AM

So TELUS's is all 720 too, interesting. Have you had a chance to compare the HD PQ to Bell sat. Even on HBO I can see that the signal has a low bitrate when dark scenes come on, you can see macroblocking, mind you this is on a 7' wide screen, but still. I guess these providers assume if it looks good on a 50" then that's all they need to do.

Looking at Telus's pricing I can't believe they can offer a great HD package(essentials with 6 themes I believe it was called) then including HBO all for about $60 a month(no equipment costs in there).
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-01-17, 12:07 PM
Veteran

I haven't compared it with other services, so can't really comment on that. I do notice some compression artifacts from time to time, but it doesn't really bother me

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-01-17, 01:32 PM

What size of screen are you watching when you notice these artifacts.
post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-01-17, 04:28 PM
Veteran

50" TV. I do typically have to be paying attention to notice it though
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 11:54 AM

"Telus gets their signals from Bell, so the answers are essentially..."

Are you sure about that? I know TELUS has their own head ends.
post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 12:27 PM

A lot of the signals are delivered to the Telus head end by Bell sat.
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 07:35 PM

If you'd like to confirm if bell is the supplier to TELUS for it's signals you'll have to put the comparable signals head to head to see, I think you'll notice the difference right away which should answer your question as to if bell is the supplier or not. As for the 720p questions and responses they are incorrect. The majority of the content providers make their signals available in 1080i and dependent on the delivery mechanism the BDU may scale down to 720p. Bell does that alot historically, and shaw is mostly mpeg2 so if they can save bw, they will in any shape or form.

Anyways.. the overarching topic is hardware and with 4k on the horizon for consumers I would expect new hardware to support it. I haven't heard much about live content being available and considering the bw needed for uncompressed is 12gb I would expect to see vod or some type of canned content available long before live content. Either way, the STB's will have to be updated to accommodate.
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-03-02, 10:20 PM

Where are you getting all this info from oj?
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 08:43 PM

Where do I buy a new pvr? I want to see if that cures my issues. I only see refurbished STB on bestbuy site. Does Telus sell new STB?

Any info appreciated.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 02:59 PM

Honestly, I've been using a refurbished PVR for over a year and it's worked fine, but if you really want a new one, then yes, Telus will sell you one but not in store. I believe they'll have to have a technician come out and install it. Though I noticed that the refurb ones all seem to be the faster ISB series boxes now, rather than the old CIS ones.
post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-07-03, 02:57 PM

I just had my STB swapped. The installer brought the 7150. Seems to have cured my issues ...but will wait a day or so to confirm.

But the question is do I need to call to have the extra HD line? Added to my profile?

I had 3 HD and 1 SD with the 430 model.

This newer one does 4HD?

Thanks

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-07-03, 03:22 PM
Veteran

It can handle 4HD streams but only if your line can handle it. Call them and they'll confirm if it can be done

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-07-03, 03:36 PM

Ok thanks

post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 09:41 PM

After watching the ads for LD and BB, I noticed they stopped selling the old 430 and 330 hardware, which indicated that the supply of refurb units from Telus had finally dried up. My original equipment (with a 320gb HD) was coming up to 4 years old now, and was getting increasingly glitchy (more "PVR busy" errors and slow response to pressing buttons).

With the slow time before fall TV season my PVR recordings were getting as light as they were ever going to be, so I called Telus to see about getting new model replacements. They sent a tech to pick up the old ones, and he also activated my 4 HD streams while he was here. (I've been 3HD + 1SD from the beginning.) He said that 5 HD streams will be coming to my area likely by the new year (employees are beta testing it now).

So far, the new boxes are impressive. Very quick response. The only thing that is bit negative (for me, but not likely for others) is that Cisco dropped the S-Video-out jack on them, which I used instead of the regular video-out to back up recordings and burn to DVD on my 2 Pioneer PVR's (made in 2006-2007, very little new hardware uses S-Video now). That's a small price to pay for having a bigger 500gb HD and much better performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in