Telus Optik TV programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:26 AM

Pretty pathetic not one sports channel included in addons so basically $34 bundled to have Lite + sports pack if they even will allow it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:27 AM

All of the existing add-ons can be added as normal.
post #168 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 12:03 PM

I think we all knew or thought these packages probably work for very few people. They will get their money one way or another. I'm sure as more people reduce or cut the chord all together, prices will rise for Internet.

Most of these skinny or lite packages are pretty pathetic.

What I expected.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub

post #169 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 12:15 PM

Take the CRTC 2 years mobile phone contract ruling as an example. We ended up paying more after the change.
I have a funny feeling that the cable and IPTV companies will find a way to make us pay more.
post #170 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 12:30 PM

Of course. Corporate greed!
Wheelman likes this.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #171 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 12:55 PM

As of just now, I don't see any new channels available via the 'Individual Channels' section of the online Optik account management site. I guess they're in no hurry to make it easy to drop a theme pack and pick up the one channel a person actually watches in it.
post #172 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 01:01 PM

Contract length and rewards changes

Just as an FYI, I noticed that the Optik plus Internet contracts are now 2 years, down from 3. Further, the free TV one now gives a 50" Samsung, up from 40". However, the one with the pre-paid Visa is down from $400 to $300. These rewards changes were from yesterday to today, as I was on the site looking at them yesterday and today. I don't know exactly when the contract length was reduced to 2 years - possibly at the same time that cell phone contracts were?
post #173 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:30 PM

No option to change package via self serve guess will have to chat or call
post #174 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:33 PM

I just switched to it by phone, and they removed all my theme packs without telling me. Waiting to get through again. Their phone lines have fairly long wait times at the moment, at least there is a call-back option. Also note that if you switch to Lite, you will no longer be able to manage your channels online. The website tells you that your package isn't supported and you have to call.

I also noticed that there is no way to add Stingray music back to your package even if you wanted to. They also aren't even including local radio stations, which is allowed in this package.
post #175 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:38 PM

Hmm maybe I'll hold off still have Sports pack grandfathered $9/month pretty sure it will drop off once they switch package from Essentials-->Lite
post #176 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:52 PM

Yeah, you'll definitely lose your grandfathered theme packs if you switch to Lite. If you really want to keep them, don't do that.

I did get them to add my theme packs back, so there was no issue in doing that. First CSR didn't seem that good.
post #177 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:57 PM

Leaving Bell Satellite TV after 16 years

Well March 1 has gone by and Bell have shown themselves to be completely contemptuous of consumers by not only making their ‘Skinny Basic’ virtually unworkable for the average subscriber but also by taking the opportunity to raise prices on their current packages (on top of a recent $2 hike). So I’m investigating switching to Telus Optik or Shaw Digital.

I have a few questions about Optik and I was hoping I can get some answers here.

1) Are their any minimum receiver requirements?

I was told by the Telus CSR that we are in a 5 HD feed area which is great, but I was also told that all we would need are 330 receivers (that I could buy from London Drugs for $50). However, I’ve read online that 7150 receivers are required for 4HD feeds and up (I have the opportunity to buy up to 3 7150 receivers for $100 each).

2) Is Internet 25 suitable for 5 HD Feeds (I've sort of asked this previously but didn't really get a response)?

We currently have the 25/5 Internet package with Telus which we found we needed for our Ooma telephone service (mostly for upload speed). One CSR told me 25 mbps download would be fine for 5 HD feeds where another told me it would be better to upgrade to the 50/10. So ...

3) Does anyone know if you can isolate an Optik receiver so that it doesn’t have access to the central PVR?

We have a room we Airbnb out and we don’t necessarily want guests to be able to record things or even see what we record.

Thank you for any help.
post #178 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 04:23 PM

1) London Drugs likely no longer even has any stock of the 330. 7150s have faster processors in them, and thus, it's likely you'd have a better experience with them. If you can get the 330s, they do still work, but the UI can be a bit sluggish with them at times. You may also have trouble getting them to give you 5 HD with them.

2) This is kind of a crapshoot, because as far as I know, there is no official word on this either way (thus the variance of answers you've gotten). From what I've been able to gather, it requires a model newer than the 330/430 series (like the 7150s) and a very good quality line all the way to your residence. As far as Internet plan, from what I can tell, 25 may work but your Internet speeds may be impacted if you're running a lot of concurrent HD feeds as it's an actual limitation to the technology. 50/10 uses two lines bonded together in most residences, which provides for more bandwidth. As a result, they may be hesitant to let you do it on 25. I think it comes down to a call from their network team.

3) I'm not aware of any way to do this short of it being on a separate account, but I don't know for sure.
post #179 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 10:01 PM

So I imagine Telus will be holding off on pick and pay channels until the eleventh hour in December...care to speculate how much per channel we'll be coughing up?
post #180 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 10:17 PM

I assume it will be similar to what they charge for pick and pay channels now -- $4 each, with the exception of high-priced channels like TSN and Sportsnet. Though Shaw currently charges $3 each and two for $4, so if they continue to offer that, Telus may respond.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in