Different volume levels on different channels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Different volume levels on different channels

Day two of my new Optik TV and the jury is still out as to better or worse than Shaw Direct. Lots of little things are different.. some better some worse.

My main irritation (at the moment) is the volume level, it is good on most channels but on one (MSNBC) the volume needs to be cranked up to hear it. I am still connected to my Shaw Direct so by changing the source on my TV can toggle back and forth.. With MSNBC selected the volume is good at ~14 when set to show Shaw.. switching to Optik I have to crank the volume up to ~30 for the same perceived volume.

If I change channels the volume set for MSNBC is deafening when a new channel is selected.. very annoying toggling back and forth between two stations and having to majorly adjust the volume each time.

Anyone else have this issue.. and or a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 09:59 AM

Try calling Telus - they should be doing volume leveling, although I'm not sure if it applies to U.S. cable channels.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 05:56 PM

Radio channel quality control

If you think the levels vary on the TV channels, wait until you cruise the radio channels. Levels differ greatly and there are assorted hum, noise, and distortion issues with many stations. A shame, really, but I suppose nobody cares.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 07:07 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the thread on the CRTC, Commercial Volumes, etc. Check out the last few pages of the thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...mercial+volume

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-12-21, 06:24 PM

I'm not sure if MSNBC is SD or HD and which one you watch if it is both, as I do not subscribe to it. What I have noticed is that on some SD-only channels, the volume can be wonky (ie way too loud or way to quiet) when compared with any HD channel -- Teletoon Retro and ami (voiceprint) the two best examples with Teletoon Retro being too quiet and ami being way too loud.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-12-22, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

MSNBC shows only in SD.. but of all the stations I have watched so far (3 days worth) it has the highest differential. However.. in general, the volume level I had with my Shaw Direct setup was good at a nominal ~12 ish.. now with Optik the same TV needs to be into the 20's on most channels... with MSNBC up to 40+
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-12-22, 08:45 PM

Yeah, 20ish sounds about right for me too. I keep it at 12-15 only when i don't want to wake someone up.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-12-23, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Spoke to some technical department on this issue and they checked.. someplace.. and indeed MSNBC (804) volume level is lower than it should be and they are placing a repair order..
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-01-23, 04:54 PM
ckl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Here's the thread on the CRTC, Commercial Volumes, etc. Check out the last few pages of the thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...mercial+volume
that's funny because I've noticed that the commercials are still louder than the actual programming. the recent one I noticed is when watching Border Security on NatGeo channel and when the commercial came on, I had to turn the volume down because it was noticeably louder.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-01-23, 05:47 PM

RT's volume is also way lower than the other channels as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckl View Post
that's funny because I've noticed that the commercials are still louder than the actual programming. the recent one I noticed is when watching Border Security on NatGeo channel and when the commercial came on, I had to turn the volume down because it was noticeably louder.
It's a problem with measured volume (i.e. RMS) and perceived volume. Advertisers will use tricks so that it's still perceived as loud. It also has to do with the TV channels having loudness wars as well; they're making the audio louder in their processing these days. it results in both the programming and the commercial becoming louder. You'll notice the same commercials are quieter on CBC compared to, say, Food Network

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-04-15, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

4 month later and the varying volume levels on different channels is STILL my biggest complaint. Is no one else bothered by this?? Obviously Telus is not. MSNBC is the worst.. move to either one of the adjacent channels and there is a very noticable difference.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-04-16, 12:18 AM
Veteran

Can't say I've ever noticed a difference to be honest.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-04-16, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.. I have a hard time thinking that my house was singled out just to mess with me..
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-04-16, 10:35 AM

I've only notice a difference in volume between HD and SD channels, Sd channels being much lower, but I watch mostly HD. Even then it doesn't really bother me.

A TELUS Tech. trying to help when I can.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-04-16, 10:42 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I have the following comments:

1. Most HD channels are DD5.1.
2. Most SD channels are DD2.0
3. Some HD channels send out improperly encoded DD5.1 (they send out only the LF & RF channels even though it's a DD5.1 signal)
4. Some people use the incorrect decoder (Dolby Pro Logic II is usually correct, but some people leave DD2.0 channels on "stereo" instead).
5. Some people have not set up their STBs properly to send out bitstream (or surround?) signals instead of PCM/stereo.
6. Some people have their STBs to "variable" volume, instead of "fixed" which can also have an effect, depending on the connection to the AVR or TV.

The above may account for some of the differences people hear, but if you're listening strictly to TV speakers, then there's not much you can do.

Here's the FAQ on DD5.1, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in