Wireless set top box for telustv - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 01:18 PM

Cool

Thanks for the info Gents. My Mom is in a condo and this may be what moves her over to Telus from Delta (Eastlink) Cable. She wants a TV in her bedroom and Kitchen as well as the main room and this looks like an easy choice with no hard wiring to be done. I worry about picture quality and channel switching times.

One of my sisters was an early adopter of Telus TV and it was sad how long it took to change channels. (We actually used to visit her and turn it on just to laugh at it.) She had locked into a 3 year deal without knowing this, so it was a sore point for a long time. She says it's now better but I haven't visited in a while to see it first hand.

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 10:26 PM

IMHO TELUS Optik works so much better and is so much more progressive than Shaw Direct that I dumped Shaw Direct which WAS giving me service at home and at my cabin on the one account and I went with TELUS Optik which only gives me service at home and I now have no service at the cabin.

The early days of TELUS TV were very much different than now since they changed to the Mediaroom platform.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2013-12-15, 10:45 AM

Are there any new reports on the wireless STB systems? Is there an additional $100 installation charge as originally reported?

Does the wireless access point also handle the computer wifi or is that still sone by the Actiontec? Has anyone needed the wireless extender installed as well?

Mods: wondering if this should be sticky at least for awhile as this equipment begins to be used more frequently for installs. I had to go back to the second page of topics to find it. There was some chatter in the "actiontec firmware upgrade" topic as well.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 05:30 PM
Rookie

Thanks a lot for the info posted here.

I've a couple of questions regarding wireless STB.

1) What is the actual model that's being used? From the ads I see, it actually does not look like the Cisco ISB7000.

2) I am deciding whether to use Powerline Ethernet or go wireless for more money up front. Beside the cost, what's the quality differences between the two? I noticed on Telus' site that wireless STB supports component. I am not sure if that implies that HDMI isn't supported (?).

Last edited by Eldia; 2014-01-07 at 07:09 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 08:27 AM
Rookie

^^ I am using 2 wireless STBs, model ISB7105, running HDMI to tvs. I can see no difference in image quality betweem them and my hard wired STB.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2014-08-04, 07:42 PM
Rookie

Use Wireless AP with smartphones/etc

I just got the Optik wireless STB and wireless AP installed.

Can I use smartphones/etc with the wireless AP?

How do I access its SSID info to get the passkey?

Thanks.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2014-08-04, 09:00 PM

On my wireless router the key is on a tag on the bottom if you turn it upside down.

It also has a button to securely set up whatever you are connecting if that device is capable.

Not sure about your device.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 04:14 PM
Veteran

Using the "button", also known as WPS, is a security risk and is not recommended by most people familiar with WiFi security issues. The WiFi SSID and password can be accessed by connecting to the router at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 using an internet browser. There is usually a default username and password to access the router. (These are usually easy to find out with an internet search or from the manual.) I strongly recommend that at least the password be changed. The WiFi SSID and password can then be set on the router. The matching WiFi SSID and password then needs to be entered into the WiFi setup on the phone. The SSID can be anything you like. Passwords should be at least 15 characters, or 6 words of at least 4 characters long, and also include at least one number and special punctuation character.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 04:58 PM
Veteran

The Telus installer should have left a card with the SSID and password information with you when the installation was completed.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 07:58 PM

the wireless access point is not meant for you to connect your wireless devices to it, it;s for the wireless set top box. the ssid and password can be found on the sticker on the back of the actiontec router.

Tags
telustv , wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in