Telus Optik TV Remote Control Questions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 12:38 AM

Dynex doesnt work on the TELUS remote. If it does PLEASE tell me the code. I've tried several times on different models of the Dynex line but 'no joy' ever.

Perhaps a Harmony would work.
Anyone used a Harmony with a Dynex

I'll look next time I`m online with my Harmony if I remember. Harmony is a great remote and runs the 330 and 430 perfectly, all functions are avail, but you need to map a `back `button, but that`s no problem.

Oh and neither does Humax.

- another TELUS tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 12:48 AM
Rookie

@Wiremonkey - I wasn't able to find a code for my Dynex TV. It doesn't make sense because you can configure every TV under the sun but for whatever reason Dynex isn't supported.
post #18 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 12:59 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If the Telus remote is a learning remote (outlined in the remote's operating manual), then you could teach it the codes from your TV remote.

If not, then you could get a Harmony, which can control anything with IR (I assume the TV uses IR). You could check with Harmony before purchase.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netBEUI View Post
@Wiremonkey - I wasn't able to find a code for my Dynex TV. It doesn't make sense because you can configure every TV under the sun but for whatever reason Dynex isn't supported.
Not Humax either.

TELUS is not a learning remote, the Harmony is.

Harmony will also control PS/3 with their Bluetooth adapter. It`s a killer remote. I`ll admit to being a total Harmony homeboy. I`ve never found a device thats IR that it cant control. And the Harmony One is about all you could ask for at $199 MSRP. Heres a link http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remote...s/devices/6441. I have two and they both run their respective gear flawlessly, one controls a 58 inch Hitachi with a Denon surround recvr and a 430 as well as a pansonic bluray, the other is contoling a 40 inch Sony Bravia a PS/3, another Denon and a 330.

- another TELUS tech
post #20 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 01:20 AM

I almost bought a Dynex 42" TV but they also had a 42" Insignia for $20 more and it had a 2 year warranty rather than a 1 year. Glad I made that decision now that I have Telus TV. I still have Shaw Direct as well and the Insignia remote actually worked the Shaw Direct receiver which amazed me. I've NEVER seen another standard TV remote work Shaw Direct/Star Choice.
post #21 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-12-24, 07:30 PM
Rookie

How to program remote to turn on TV and STB at the same time?

Anyone know how to program the telus universal remote to turn on the telus optik box + a tv with just the single power button? I know it can be done as the isntaller who installed it at my house made our remote work that way, however, I just had optik installed at my parents house and the guy didn't know (was in a hurry).

Anyone have instructions, I need to get this working, else it is too confusing for my parents.

Thanks!
post #22 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-12-24, 07:34 PM
Rookie

http://telus.com/portalWeb/Upload/Bi...pdf?_region=AB

Found it! Tried a bunch of different terms in google but finally found the info
post #23 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-12-24, 07:46 PM

You should have received a small pamphlet that has the programming instructons for that remote. If you don't have it, you can download it here:
http://www.telus.com/imagineportal/U...pdf?_region=AB
post #24 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-12-26, 06:52 PM

Simple instructions to complete the request are as follows, this is for any brand of TV.

Turn on the TV.

Press and hold the TV button, then the OK button hold them down together then release them both, the TV button will flash, enter the number 922 on the number pad.

Point he remote at the TV and press the Play button slowly, and repeatedly until the TV turns off, keeping count is a good idea incase you miss and press once too many times while doing this, that way you will know when to slow down for the next time. Don't get discouraged it can take time, there are over 400 codes to go through. If the TV doesn't turn off after 490 tries your TV is not supported. You could repeat the steps to verify but not all TVs are supported.

When the TV turns off press the Enter button at the bottom right corner of the remote.

Press and hold the STB button, then the OK button hold them down together then release them both, the STB button will flash, enter the number 977 on the number pad, now press the STB button and then the TV button, then press the Enter button at the botton right of the remote.

Now you're done.

This is the quickest way to program the remote to work the STB and the TV in unison. This is the method the tech's use. There are several on the pamphlet but this one is by far the simplest.

- another TELUS tech
post #25 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-12-30, 06:06 AM
Rookie

Optik TV Remote & Patriot Box Office

I just picked up a Patriot Box Office today. Just wondering if I can program the Optik TV remote to operate the new toy so that I can put the PBO remote away. I checked the code sheet from Telus but nothing's there. Anyone know?
post #26 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 09:50 AM

I doubt the Optik TV remote supports the Patriot Box Office codes. Your best bet is probably a Harmony remote which will support both Patriot Box Office and Optik TV.
post #27 of 298 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 04:43 PM

you could try the acryan code if its in there as the button mapping is the same.

TBD yet again :)
post #28 of 298 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 03:40 AM
Rookie

Optik Remote + XBox 360

So about two months ago I ordered Optik TV + Internet (unaware of the XBox promo, but it actually worked out better for me in the long run, as I was an existing customer who'd originally called to cancel due to an offer Shaw gave me, which Telus matched) & got the rental free waived for a PVR and additional set top box as a loyalty thing. I had to call and make an appointment three separate times, as the world seemed to be conspiring against me with regards to actually getting my appointment set up (something about a blackout on setting up new appointments coupled with forgetting to call me back and then forgetting/not being able to set up the install on my "backup" date.) Frustrating, but worked out nicely for me in the end because I ended up with a $100 credit due to having wasted two Sundays waiting for all-day appointments. So I was pretty happy with that. (Side note: two days before I was told of this credit, I got the note in the mail re: the CRTC rebate and was planning on asking if there was any way I could be eligible for that $100 credit, but decided not to push my luck considering 1) I was cancelling my home phone as of this new install 2) I wasn't actually *buying* a box.

Then for Christmas my parents gave me an XBox 360, totally unexpected and awesome.

Now, I don't need to use my XBox as a set top box, since I've only got two TVs and already have STBs that I'm not paying for attached to each- seems silly to pay the $100 install + $5/mo licensing fee to set up my XBox as one (esp since I'd then have to move the PVR over to the TV in my room, since it's currently hooked up to the bigger TV in my living room. not that this would be complicated, just why do more work when I can just leave things as is?). All I want to do is be able to use the supposedly universal remote provided with my STBs with my XBox, so I can use it as a DVD player/media centre extender. There's a code in the remote guide for XBox, which I've tried programming to either the DVD or AUX buttons on my remote to no avail. Called tech support and after a three hour (!!!) wait due to a combination of wait times, dropped calls (downside of using a cell as a primary phone in an apartment building), and badly timed telemarketing calls from my credit card company trying to sell me insurance I don't need, was told that the code in the guide is only for the XBox that Telus sends out.

Meaning that where before I could use one remote to control my TV/PVR, I now have to use a total of three- one for the Optik service, one to switch inputs from Optik TV to the aux input my xbox is hooked up to (this is my original tv remote, the one the install tech told me I wouldn't need anymore since he programmed my Optik remote to control my TV as well. unfortunately the TV/Video button doesn't seem to want to co-operate, so original remote it is), and finally the XBox controller itself (this last would be fine if all I were doing was gaming, but with only one set of aux inputs on my ancient tv, it's now my primary DVD player as well as for my downloaded media off my PC).

Blah blah blah I can see a herd of teal deer approaching, long story short: *can* I program that remote to work with my XBox? Or would the only way I can get a remote that'll work with Optik TV *and* XBox be to set up an appoinment to get the XBox-as-PVR software installed, which involves paying for a service I don't actually need? Orrrrr... is there a third party remote that'll work with the Optik box *and* the XBox?

Honestly... all in all I've come out way ahead- a combination of a credit and rebate means nothing comes out of my pocket for four months, I didn't have to buy my PVR and second STB or pay anything for the rental, I'm not on a contract, and I'm only paying $30/mo for two months after my credit/rebate runs out and then $40/mo for the next six months for both TV *and* Internet... no idea what it'll go up to after but that's not something I'm too concerned with now as for the moment it's half of what I was paying before for Internet + landline that I never used. So if there's no way I can do away with extraneous remote controls it's definitely not the end of the world, but in a perfect world I'd have my setup the way I want it
post #29 of 298 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera View Post
is there a third party remote that'll work with the Optik box *and* the XBox?
The Logitech Harmony Remotes are a good choice.
post #30 of 298 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 06:59 PM

+1, will never use anything else.

Tags
remote , remote control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in