Optik and HDMI - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-30, 04:01 PM
Rookie

Just following up on my post from last month.

Quote:
I have a HDMI switch on the way and will try that out. I hear some positive results after slotting it between the STB and TV.
Confirmed that the HDMI switch worked. It's a cheap solution but I noticed the image quality had degraded somewhat. After some discussion with the wife (fortunately she loves her HDTV and toys as much as I), we ended up springing for a nice receiver. (While we were at it, we sprang for some floor speakers and a matching center as well as two in-ceilings for the back. Paying the house for a long time, so what's dragging it out a few more years for a good home theater setup...)

Long story short. It's now routed from the Optik box to my receiver (Pioneer) and then to the Sharp (Input 4 with the ARC). No handshake or audio sync issues and has been up for the last 2 weeks. I think case closed on my end.

No a different note. A few days ago, on a different TV, the audio did cut out but video was coming through with no problems. After flipping back and forth with inputs, audio settings, etc - it turns out the HDMI cable was just slightly loose at the back of the Telus box. After jiggling it a bit, audio returned. I guess with an HDMI connection, audio is the most sensitive? (first to go in the HDMI pecking order?). Anyways, thought I would throw that out there as a potential quick (cheap) fix for those experiencing some audio problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-12-13, 09:48 PM
Rookie

my own experience

I had my TELUS TV upgraded this weekend to OPTIK also. I too had to "downgrade" from HDMI to Component cables from the PVR to the receiver in my living room as there was no video but audio was fine during installation (I still have HDMI from the receiver to the TV though).
Interestingly, the other 2 tv sets still work just fine with an HDMI from the set-top boxes to the TVs. The TELUS tech wanted to change all 3 sets from HDMI to Component as "there are problems with OPTIK and HDMI cables" but agreed to leave the 2 as they worked with their current HDMI (with my old TELUS TV set-up, I never had any issues with any of the TVs or the HDMI cables).
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 01:54 AM

I couldn't get HDMI to work between my PVR and TV until I went an bought some new HDMI 1.4 "High Speed" cables. I have no idea what the other cable I was using was rated for, and whether 1.4 is necessary, but since they were only $10 I grabbed a few of them and they all work great.

I think the "problem" Telus is claiming with HDMI is that they don't want to supply "quality" HDMI cables. Much cheaper and easier to supply some component cables instead.

post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 10:11 PM
Rookie

I will give that a try tomorrow. I have 1.4 HDMI cables from the Blu-ray into the receiver and from the receiver into the TV but had an older HDMI cable from the PVR into the receiver. I will do some switching around and see what happens.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-12-22, 03:27 PM

For what it's worth, I have a Pioneer AVR and have HDMI from the Cisco 430 to the Pioneer. What happens usually is if I switch from HD channel to SD or play an SD recording after watching HD channel, I won't have sound from the AVR. If I switch the AVR to BD or DVD, then back to TV, it restores the sound.
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-12-22, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestor_X View Post
I couldn't get HDMI to work between my PVR and TV until I went an bought some new HDMI 1.4 "High Speed" cables. I have no idea what the other cable I was using was rated for, and whether 1.4 is necessary, but since they were only $10 I grabbed a few of them and they all work great.

I think the "problem" Telus is claiming with HDMI is that they don't want to supply "quality" HDMI cables. Much cheaper and easier to supply some component cables instead.
So I take it that you think your $10 cables, that work great are better than the one`s TELUS will supply, sorry I`m a bit confused. They stock HDMI cables and will provide them free of charge to the customer, but they are for DVDs etc as HDMI is not supported by TELUS on Optik.

There is a reason and its quite simple. HDMI is a nonstandardised connection format, that means it has no standard in the IEEE, MPEG group set up HDMI and it is a combination of DVI and the digital audio data combined in one cable format,. The problem is there are multiple variations of HDMI manufatured by various providers, not all are 100% compatible with each other. Things like picture degradation, digital distortion, black pixels appearing randonmly (pixelization) and audio issues are not uncommon, especially with older HDMI equipment. There were alot of problems with HDMI that were experienced with the previous IPTV service from TELUS called Minerva, during that time it was determined that TELUS would not support HDMI, and instead chose to provide component for video and optical for audio. This provided a resolution of 720p or 1080i and 5.1 surround without the HDMI issues.

I set up all my customers with component and optical and I leave them HDMI cables. if they change the cables to HDMI and have no problems, fine. If they have problems I ask them to go back to the way I left it, and NOT to call TELUS as HDMI is NOT supported. FYI, I use the TELUS HDMI cables on my Bravia passing through a Denon from a 330 and everything is fine.

Hope this clarifies things a little

- another TELUS tech
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-12-23, 12:11 AM
Rookie

So, I get that Telus doesn't officially support HDMI on Optik.

I understand that for 3D television on Optik you are required to use HDMI.

Seems like a conflict to me.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 02:37 PM
Rookie

I'm thinking about getting a 23 or 24" LED computer monitor that has HDMI input to use as my primary TV and computer display, as an alternative to upgrading my old non-HD TV, and wondering if the HDMI connection will work with my Telus 430 PVR box. Has anyone tried Telus HDMI to a computer monitor?

This could save me a fair bit of cash because then I could avoid the expense of a new TV, TV cabinet, and sound system, and it could save some space as I'm moving to a smaller place. I would use another port on the LED monitor for my computer, and I could use my 2.1 computer speakers for TV. I already use a 22" LCD monitor for occasional movie watching and it's not bad at all, for 1 or 2 people viewing.

My understanding from this thread is that Telus does not guarantee that HDMI will work for all customer TVs etc because of slight differences in the HDMI capabilities of each TV, so HDMI may or may not work for a specific TV (or computer monitor). But component video should work for all TVs. The monitor does not have component video input. I'm thinking the only way to know for sure if HDMI works, is to buy the monitor and try it out.
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 09:40 PM

It should work but how are you going to handle audio?
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 10:07 PM

@frank4, several people have used Mediaroom with a computer monitor. You will probably have to plug your computer speakers into the PVR using an RCA to PC audio cable. You can set up the remote to control the volume through the PVR. When the PVR is powered off, you will see the Telus screen saver on the monitor, so you will have to turn the monitor off manually.

Your PC monitor should be HDCP compliant, which I don't think will be a problem with a modern monitor
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 01:22 PM

HDMI to AVR?

<bump>
Am looking to update my Telus TV setup here, currently running component video from the CIS430 PVR to TV and optical audio to an old 5.1 Rx. Considering upgrading the Rx to a new HK or Pioneer AVR unit. Would like to go all-digital but still seeing mixed reviews and switching issues going HDMI from the PVR. Is there any change TELUS support for HDMI? Anyone running it ok to an AVR?
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 2011-11-20, 02:46 PM

I'm running Optik on an Xbox 360, with HDMI to a Pioneer AHK-1018 and then HDMI to a Sony LCD. No problems here, your mileage may vary.

99% of setups will work fine with HDMI, but if it doesn't then you'll have to switch to component/optical.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 12:09 PM

The XBOX 360 manages HDMI switching much more robustly than other devices, including the CIS boxes. It even has a function to "force" EDID info to the receiver so its does not have a choice but decode digital 5.1 audio.

The problem in my opinion is the way the receiver reads the EDID info and manages it. This is HDMI's achilles heel, HDCP has crippled HDMI to a large extent becasue of this problem. It's not Telus's fault per se, but it should have specified to Cisco that it needs a setting in the box to allow the forcing of EDID.

Tags
hdmi , optik , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in