Optik and HDMI - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-10-07, 01:35 PM

@SpoiledbyHD

You can record 3 hd at once? I also have vdsl but can only record 2hd and 2sd...under system resources how many streams does it say you have? Mine says 1sd/3hd (wan); 2sd/2hd (dev). Wonder why yours works for 3 but not mine.

I don't have the 25mb/s internet although my profile is around 32 I was told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-10-07, 01:49 PM

Talking

@schizz

I was told my area is good for 3HD/1SD as well. I'll find out on Monday for sure, but from what Telus said, I have 39Mbit pipe outside .
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-10-08, 02:30 AM
Rookie

It's Still A Good Service

@Gorky,

Quote:
I'm amazed at all the problems with Telus Optick TV. I was looking forward to replacing my Bell HD PVR 9200 receiver for this new service from Telus, but it seems that there are too many problems with it. Maybe by next year they might have the problems solved but until then I won't be ordering Optick TV.
Don't get me wrong. I think the service is still excellent. When I do watch, I'm very pleased with the service. The back and forth is just a matter of me wanting to understanding why my particular TV and STB aren't playing nice with each other.

Considering that HDMI has been around for a while, and that my TV does not date to stoneage era, I have to say that I'm quite surprised that a simple matter of connecting a HDTV to a digital STB using HDMI can be so difficult. The problem caught my curiosity so I've been trying to test it step by step. I could've simply switched to component cables and be done with it, but I want to make sure I tried everything fully. Honestly, I think this requires a fix on Sharp's end. Perhaps the firmware upgrade from the US site will fix this. I just haven't tried it yet.

Anyways, I think there are only a few TV's out there that seem to have this HDMI handshake issue with the current STB, mine included.

I got a great deal with Telus to go with Optik TV and I hear that many others (new and existing) were offered a similar or very good deals when they were beginning to roll this out this summer. It seems Telus is making lucrative deals to make a big splash in the market early on.

I particularly like that I can set a recordings (multiple at that) remotely from anywhere using my phone. I'm not using it right now as we're doing renos at our home, but I've been amassing a lot of movies and children's shows for my daughter over the last month using remote recording. When we move in we will have a chance to watch all her favorite shows with her at any time from pretty much any TV in the house. Better than renting multiple DVD's...

End of the day, the handshake issue is a bump in the road for me compared to the quality and convenience of the new system.

Just bought at HDMI/DVI cable tonight. Will give it a shot next time I'm over along with the firmware upgrade. Step by step to isolate what works and what doesn't. I'll post when I get these completed.

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-10-08, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Program guide and other questions....

How would you compare the picture quality over Shaw or Bell? The same or better. What about the channels that are available with optick. I'm assuming there the same.
The main issue with me is the HDMI compatibility. If it doesn't work with HDMI I'll return the optick receiver to Telus. I'm not going back to using component cables, been there done that.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-10-08, 06:17 PM

Check the At&t u-verse forums for hdmi compatibility

They have a list somewhere on there that list all the problem tv's.

From my experience it seems to only be the newer sharp tv's that cause the majority of the problems. Not sure why that is...
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 04:51 PM
Rookie

@ Dr. Dave,

I was mistaken by not having the TV in front of me. I saw DVI in the manual when I first read it and assumed that it had a DVI input, but it actually only has VGA for PC connection. The DVI was meant as an illustration as a DVI source and not input. Oh well. no joy on that front.

Firmware on the TV was actually the same as the update provided on the Sharp USA site. I did an install anyways and nothing changed (handshake issue remained).

I have a HDMI switch on the way and will try that out. I hear some positive results after slotting it between the STB and TV.

Routing it through a receiver sounds like it might work for me (not considering any audio sync issues?) but I don't want to spend the money right now considering other priorities.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 04:40 PM

Lost picture...snowy screen now?

I was watching a HD channel a few minutes ago. I switched to a SD channel and got an error message and after that I now I have snow on the screen on every channel. Could it be my HDMI cable? I will try switching it out in a few minutes. I have the Telus box connected thru my Yamaha receiver. In turn the TV is outputting full picture NOT native. Maybe I need to switch my box settings? How to turn native on?

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-14, 03:38 PM

Why don't the reps just acknowledge this is a problem?

I have just put in a home theatre system in my newly renovated basement. I ran just one good quality HDMI from the Pioneer receiver to the plasma. When I finally set it up and fired up the system I could not get any audio from the Optik box going to my Pioneer receiver and then out to the speakers. Then I tried the PS3 and the HDMI works just fine. I called Telus thinking I maybe over looking something really silly given that this is very simple setup. Telus rep kept me on the phone for nearly 20 minutes trying to sort it out. Nothing. Wouldn't it have been great if they had acknowledged a shortcoming of the box?
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-14, 09:44 PM
Rookie

hdmi connection

I have had optik service for the last few weeks, with PVR and Xbox setup. I have used hdmi connection for both TVs, one is a Samsung LCD and other is an older Toshiba DLP and have not had any issues. As for the soft picture on SD channels - its due to the SD signal being up-converted to 1080i or 720p on the PVR, whereas on Shaw Direct Motorola boxes it stayed at 480i for SD channels for a sharper picture. I think the Optik PVR should have 480i override for SD channels.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 08:55 PM

Will optical and HDMI work?

I tried an optical cable in parallel with with HDMI. I did not get any sound from box to the receiver. This could be cabling issue or something minor. I think it should work.

So the setup is:

HDMI and Optical from STB to Receiver.
HDMI to the TV for the video.

I really don't care that much if HDMI from the box to the receiver carries the audio. It would be simpler.

So, the question, is this a logical setup? Will the box put out sound on optical when the HDMI is connected at the same time?
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 11:33 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There may be a setting in the STB to send audio out the optical instead of the HDMI. Also, if there is any audio signal on the HDMI the AVR will prioritize it over the optical, unless you go into the AVR settings and "tell" it to use optical instead of HDMI.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 11:47 PM

Thanks 57. I thought there maybe more to this than I had hoped.

Cheers,
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-23, 02:25 PM

I'm so confused with my Optik TV PVR and HDMI. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I did read through this thread and various HDMI/HDCP articles online but still don't quite get it.

Anyway, here's my situation. I have been using Optik TV with the included HDMI cable from Telus for the past few months. Everything was working fine until I switched out the cable for a newer longer one. The original HDMI cable is too short for my setup. Confirmed the new HDMI cable works as I have hooked it up to another media player I have in my setup and it works fine.

But now, I keep getting the HDCP error with the new cable. If I turn off and turn on the PVR, I can see the channel for a second and then it returns with the HDCP error. My TV is an older one that probably doesn't support HDCP. But I'm confused why it works with the original Telus provided HDMI cable and not the new one. Any ideas?
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-23, 09:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by number84 View Post
I'm so confused with my Optik TV PVR and HDMI. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I did read through this thread and various HDMI/HDCP articles online but still don't quite get it.

Anyway, here's my situation. I have been using Optik TV with the included HDMI cable from Telus for the past few months. Everything was working fine until I switched out the cable for a newer longer one. The original HDMI cable is too short for my setup. Confirmed the new HDMI cable works as I have hooked it up to another media player I have in my setup and it works fine.

But now, I keep getting the HDCP error with the new cable. If I turn off and turn on the PVR, I can see the channel for a second and then it returns with the HDCP error. My TV is an older one that probably doesn't support HDCP. But I'm confused why it works with the original Telus provided HDMI cable and not the new one. Any ideas?
Buy a Monster cable? :P

Since it worked with the original cable that means Optik is working so try a different HDMI cable and see if that works. Some cables have issues and if another cable works you can verify the first one is defective.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-11-26, 08:47 PM
Rookie

Beanagee1 I also have a Pioneer AVR and could not get the audio to work with either a Shaw HD box or the Telus Optik PVR using an HDMI cable. I just use a component cable with an optical cable for dound and the picture is as good as the HDMI.

Tags
hdmi , optik , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in