Telus TV Complaint, Rant and Leaving Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Telus TV Complaint, Rant and Leaving Thread

Got a call yesterday from some guy at Telus wanting me to bundle my services and add TV. When he got through with his jabbering, his cost (my cost) was about equivalent to what I told him I was paying monthly already with Shaw Direct. He was quoting me $50+ dollars for 6 months after which it would go to $70+ dollars ansd I'm pretty sure I told him I was paying around $65 with SD.

I think the higher cost was due to 4 "rental" boxes that I would need for my existing TVs.

I told him I would have to review the chanel offerings over what I have now. I told him to call back next week after I had a chance to review and then he told me that he could not give me those same prices next week.

I don't know how any company can expect a customer to change his whole TV system on a whim by an unsolicited phone call.

He also asked me if I was renting my boxes. Obviously, he doesn't even know the business. It's not like there are 100 providers out there. He should have a handle on the major ones.

The worst thing was the change in attitude when he realized I wasn't goint to switch my service right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 04:25 PM

I just signed up and Telus has already LOST my business - pathetic :(

So, I have been very interested in media room since Telus announced it, but it hasn't been available in my home. Last week I checked the online availability again and to my surprise it was available!

I phoned Telus right away to get the new service, and my first letdown was that it requires you have telus phone and internet. Not the end of the world, and I ask to sign up for high speed and one hd pvr. I am told the PVR can record two HD shows and one SD show at a time.

Betty (Elizabeth) was very helpful, getting me all signed up. At the end she couldn't complete the signup because of an error in their system, and told me she would personally call me back within a few days to either complete the order or cancel it because TTV might NOT be available at my house despite the website saying it is.

Good news, she calls me back and tells me we are all good to go! She verifies the time of the install with me (today, 12-2pm).

First bad news, despite being told by Betty that I can record 2 HD shows at a time, after checking out the website this morning in anticipation of getting TTV I notice that it is rebranded as Optik, and lists my house as only being capable of 1 HD show at a time, yet I have to pay as much for the service and as much for the PVR. hmmm, pathetic Telus - teach your reps properly or close your doors.

So I have already called shaw, given notice on my account, and am ready to get set up with Telus today - and despite only 1 HD recording at a time I am still committed. Then I get an automated call this morning reminding me of my appointment on thursday. Well my scheduled appointment was supposed to be for today, and I made sure I wouldn't be working.

I call Telus, and sure enough despite my original appointment being for tuesday, it changed to thursday since they took 2 days to verify that TTV was in fact available at my house. Problem is they didn't bother to tell me (boo on you Betty, for how helpful you were it is pretty pathetic that you cant properly verify an install time).

Rep today tells me that they can't install until next week since I am not available on thursday. Well I am out of town next week. So I cancelled my order, called shaw, told them they get to keep me.

Telus, your customer service is alarming, but I am glad you show your true colours right away instead of waiting to get your customers locked into a contract, so thank you for that. All you had to do was find the time to get an installer to my house today (tuesday june 8th) (or even tomorrow, as I told the rep this morning I am available all day tomorrow too) since that was the scheduled day in the first place, and you could have had a customer paying $100+ a month (I rent lots of PPV and VOD) for many years. Instead, I doubt there is any possibility of getting me as a customer now.

Anyone here that works for Telus and wants to forward this to the right people, feel free to do so.
post #3 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 12:22 PM

I had a bad experience with someone named Betty as well from the department that handles switches from other providers:

- asked her if the 25mbps internet would be available in my area soon. She replied "I don't know, I don't have a crystal ball"

- repeatedly told me that mobile terminated calls to Europe were free in the international minutes under the phone package and refused to check for me directly (this is false, land line calls are free, mobile calls to most countries have per minute rates)

- my phone number switch from Shaw was refused for some reason, and she never called me to inform me. I wound up waiting an entire day at home for installers that never came.

Ultimately I decided to give Telus one more chance and was able to deal with someone else in that department that was very apologetic and thorough, and switched over a couple weeks later.

post #4 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 06:03 PM
Rookie

I wish someone could tell me when I would be able to upgrade to Mediaroom. I was told a year ago that "eventually" I could get 2 HD streams but they didn't have a date. I just happened to call them again today and they said to call back in a month. Frustrating.
post #5 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-11, 12:20 AM

My neighbour (directly next door to me) has had Optik TV for a couple months now, but TELUS has denied that I am eligible. Finally at the end of June the agent told me I am eligible, but that it will only be 1 HD stream and 1 SD stream. I am mid-contract right now and she said the upgrade won't affect the price. So, I ordered it.

Today was the install date. The fellow showed up at noon and told me his notes say that I am eligible for the full 19mbs downspeed and 3 streams - 2HD and 1 SD. I was THRILLED.

He got the wireless internet set up after an hour and it was indeed fast (I was getting Speedtests results of 16mbs), but he could not get the PVR box going in the living room. After hours trying and talking with his tech desk, he decided to try the standalone box down in the basement suite. It worked without a problem.

So, back upstairs, he spent another few hours trying to get the thing going and was unable. Finally, he tech desk calls and says there was an error, my address is not actually eligible for Microsoft and that the whole system would have to be reverted back to the old platform. It would be a few more months yet before I am actually eligible for Microsoft. Remember - my neighbour has been successfully using it for months now.

They told him he had to undo everything he had done, take all the STBs, modem and router away and leave me without TV and Internet until another installer could come an reinstall the Minerva platform.

I was able to convince him to leave everything here so I at least have internet. I have to call on Monday and get them to schedule another appointment for me so who knows how long I'll be without TV.

I gave up 6 hours of a beautiful Saturday only to be left without TV entirely - for who knows how long.
post #6 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-11, 12:51 AM

What does the Telus website say that you are eligible for? You said that an Agent told you at the end of June that you could get 1 HD & 1 SD stream? Must have been 1 HD & 2 SD streams. June 8th was the day that the 15 Meg profile became eligible for Mediaroom at 1HD & 2 SD streams.
post #7 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 12:22 AM
Veteran

The Telus web site is completely inaccurate and cannot be relied on. I have 2HD/1SD profile and it's working just fine, but the site says I can't get it. But I have it! In another thread, many reported the same inaccuracies from the site. To this date, it still says that I can't record 2 HD streams, but I just recorded 2 HD shows tonights.
post #8 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 02:34 AM

Well, I'd surely believe what an agent tells me over the website. And, I don't remember if it was 1SD and 1HD or what - I just remember them initially saying it was a "lite"-like version of Optik that would be installed in such a way that it could be remotely upgraded automatically when the full version was available. Then, when the installer arrived, he said it was the new 19mb profile that was available.

Today I called to talk to someone about this experience and they took financial care of me for this experience - but, what I really want is Optik TV!!

She said what is likely is that my neighbour has a line in from a different or upgraded "CO", and my line comes from an older one. This makes sense because my neighbour's house is about 10 years old and mine is much much older.

I asked her why they can't just run me a new line since I want the new platform and she said she will take specific notes for feedback and pass it up.

Anyway, I have to call back tomorrow to get an appointment for them to take away my fast internet, and return it to 2mb service, and reinstall the crappy Minerva platform. At least I'll have TV again.

I am in the middle of a high density inner Vancouver City neighbourhood. So this seems really odd to me.

TELUS staff and installers all seem to be quite frustrated with how heavily TELUS is marketing this new Optik TV considering there are so many people still not eligible.
post #9 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-16, 02:38 AM

Another update.

I called on Tuesday to schedule the appointment and was told that the line would not be formally switched back to "Minerva" until Saturday and that they could not yet schedule an appointment.

I called back today, was given the run around and passed through to wireless phone retentions department for some unknown reason, then finally to the people I needed about 25 minutes later.

After 25 minutes and providing my phone number, name, address, account number 3 times, I was advised that the earliest appointment for a rush order was Wednesday and that it would be "sometime during that day". Well, I have a JOB so that won't work.

Then, he said he would try to get his boss to authorize an appointment for the weekend (which likely means screwing over another TELUS customer). They will call me back tomorrow.

Why, oh why can't they just get a new darn line from the good "CO" and give me the Microsoft platform?

I am a very very loyal customer. I have had a the same wireless phone account for 17 years and I would be just as loyal to them for my home-based needs if they would just come through for me.

But, it looks like I might have to switch.
post #10 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-18, 05:37 PM

Sorry, I've totally hijacked this thread.

The latest is - they are coming tomorrow supposedly to install Mediaroom. I confirmed over and over again and explained the issue with the last time and the fellow said that the notes on the file say it is definitely Mediaroom - and not a reversal to the Minverva platform.

I have had no TV for 2 weeks now.
post #11 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 03:55 AM

Latest:

Installed today in less than an hour today. Works perfectly on all TV's. Picture quality made me feel like I have a new HDTV, and all the features are as great as I hoped (except I mourn the loss of the "now playing" on Galaxie.)

So, what the heck was all the fuss about? Why did they even take it away from me after taking up 6 hours of my Saturday?

Chances are that I will soon forget about the whole experience.
post #12 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 01:37 AM
Rookie

tired of telus's "surprises"

Iím Telusís new customer and have very bad feelings about their customer service. Where to begin? Why Telus didn't tell me that I would have to pay $10/month for their digital box? There ARE too many unpleasant surprises from Telus. Why should Telusís customers find out what fixed sums they must pay only when they get the bill? It's a total communication gap in terms of quality management. Probably theyíre trying to abuse their semi-monopolistic position to such an extent that they can ignore Parasuraman Model. The paradox is that telecommunication company makes any thing to ignore communication with their customers. The companyís reputation suffers greatly. I will have to inform about their tricks all my friends who come to this city and simply tell them that people from Telus don't care about customers' expectations and real experiences. Their customer service is poor, if they fail to inform customers unambiguously about fixed charges and tariffs. Why should their customers open several levels on their online interface before they see that all their mouse-trap generosity is nothing more than simple tricks supposed to addict customers to their services without letting them know what it would cost them?
Shame on you, guys from Telus! You are a big company built on little fraud-like tricks!
post #13 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 12:25 PM

Their website clearly shows that it is $10/month to rent the stb if you do not sign a term.

http://www.telus.com/content/tv/iptv...ent_offers.jsp
post #14 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 12:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary View Post
Iím Telusís new customer and have very bad feelings about their customer service. Where to begin? Why Telus didn't tell me that I would have to pay $10/month for their digital box? There ARE too many unpleasant surprises from Telus.
So other than unrealistically expect to get a free STB without a commitment, what other various unpleasant surprises did you get? You sound like you have too many to list so how about sharing 10 of those unpleasant surprises?
post #15 of 594 (permalink) Old 2010-07-29, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary View Post
I’m Telus’s new customer and have very bad feelings about their customer service. Where to begin? Why Telus didn't tell me that I would have to pay $10/month for their digital box? There ARE too many unpleasant surprises from Telus. Why should Telus’s customers find out what fixed sums they must pay only when they get the bill? It's a total communication gap in terms of quality management. Probably they’re trying to abuse their semi-monopolistic position to such an extent that they can ignore Parasuraman Model. The paradox is that telecommunication company makes any thing to ignore communication with their customers. The company’s reputation suffers greatly. I will have to inform about their tricks all my friends who come to this city and simply tell them that people from Telus don't care about customers' expectations and real experiences. Their customer service is poor, if they fail to inform customers unambiguously about fixed charges and tariffs. Why should their customers open several levels on their online interface before they see that all their mouse-trap generosity is nothing more than simple tricks supposed to addict customers to their services without letting them know what it would cost them?
Shame on you, guys from Telus! You are a big company built on little fraud-like tricks!
Wow first post and bashing Telus. Smell's like a Shaw employee...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in