Replacing drive in the SA430 PVR? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Replacing drive in the SA430 PVR?

Has anyone cracked open (or contemplated cracking open) the SA430 to replace the drive?

I peeked through the bottom of the box Telus supplied for MR and notice a WD 320GB SATA drive inside (have a 500GB drive sitting idle). Given that MR uses Windows CE as an OS, it would be easy to clone the MR drive on a PC and then swap a bigger one in.

Last edited by Cockroach; 2010-04-05 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 02:54 PM

You may want to search for U-verse user experiences. They use Cisco STBs and Mediaroom, but their STBs are rental-only so not too many users are brave enough to attempt the upgrade.

What I have read is that Win CE supports a max of about 500 GB. Several people have tried unsuccessfully. The only drives that I have heard that work are Seagate.

1. ST3500320AS (7200.11) 500 GB
2. ST3500321CS 500 GB
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. As it happens, the idle drive I have is a Seagate ST3500630AS (500GB 7200.10 Barracuda) so it may work though very noisy. Just have to find the security bit set I got from Summit Tools.....

The OEM drive on my Cisco-branded (or Scientific Atlanta - A Cisco Company) PVR (rented free on 3 year contract) is a WD 3200AAJS.

FWIW, U-verse is what AT&T calls its MediaRoom IPTV product.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 03:23 PM

According to what I've read, the STB sends a code back to the head-end when it formats a new drive, so if you do this with a rental box, you're definitely taking a chance.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 03:23 PM

Ive contemplated it too, just have not had the time to do it. I have a ton of drives kicking around so finding one that works should not be an issue. One thing I would like to try when pulling the drive is to see what format the video saves are done in and if they are encrypted.

I think I will sit back and see what you come up with before playing myself

TBD yet again :)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 03:28 PM

The video is definitely encrypted. Microsoft is seriously committed to DRM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave
According to what I've read, the STB sends a code back to the head-end when it formats a new drive, so if you do this with a rental box, you're definitely taking a chance.
I'll have to read if you have to power up holding the power button and then pressing the OK/Down button combo to force a disaster recovery operation that forces the format.

Otherwise I'll start by clong the drive which should avoid the box phoning home.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 04:14 AM

Just a word of warning. The size of the harddrive is logged in a database, among other details. Modifying a rental box would void any warranty and could result in an unexpected charge on your bill.

It's somewhat unlikely, but be forewarned that this information is easily visible to Telus if they run an audit on the equipment.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 05:07 AM

Exclamation

No real risk if you own the box right?

if you mess it up it's you're fault lol.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 02:19 AM

Upgrading Hard Drive on the Telus PVR

I'm just curious if anyone has been brave enough to try upgrading the hard drive to a larger drive with the Telus PVR.

I wonder if there is any hard drive size limitations...

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-06-10 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-10-02, 05:29 PM

Telus Cisco430 PVR Box Hard Drive Question

Hey all,

Anyone know if the 320Gb drive inside the PVR can be upgraded? Since there are 500 and 750Gb drives that should fit inside, just wondering if anyone knows if it is a simple swap out for a larger drive or if it can even be done at all.

Reason? Just to store more without having to delete as often.

Thanks,
Dan.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-03-17, 10:42 AM

PVR HDD Upgrade

Maybe its been talked about, but is it possible to swap out the 320GB to like a 500, 750 or 1TB drive?

Samsung UN65MU8000|Elite VSX-43|PolkAudio RC80i|Velodyne VDR-12
Samsung UN55KU6290
LG 55LE5500

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-03-17 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-04-05, 10:32 PM

As Dr Dave and others have suggested. It's not official supported. Telus will know that you've changed the hard drive out and it may, may not work. as they have said the information is sent to head end to Telus, With new updates
I wouldn't even be surprised if the system might even lock you out, (the Pvr/HD STB) and/or may have some kinda encrypted/security check to make sure unit is using correct hard drive on first boot when connects to head end and/or some other measures.. If you own your own unit and wish to take the chance.. I guess that is up to you..

It would be nice if Telus would support a bigger hard drive like 500 or so. but perhaps in Time Cisco/Telus/Microsoft will allow for bigger hd or turn on USB for external hd. As other have said, It's strange that its not supported yet. Other Cable/Sat do support this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 01:10 PM

Well there is a safer legal way to back up programs off of the DVR.
I do it all the time and it works great.
you need 2 new pieces of hardware and an optional 3rd program.
1-Happauge HD PVR - to copy to computer. (i have 3 external hard drives - 2 for backups and the 3rd for playback/storage)
2- WD Live + WD Elements ext hard drive. - for play back
3- VideoRedo H264 (optional) to edit/strip out commercials.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 09:00 AM
Rookie

how to add a bigger hard drive to Optik PVR CIS430?

I've seen someone outside my area offering a service to increase the standard 320GB hard drive capacity for the Optik CIS430 to as much as 2TB, and if you aren't satisfied with the results he will return it to stock condition. Suggests it can be done, but little info exists on the Web.

Has anyone done this successfully, and if so, could you offer some pointers?

What I've gleaned so far is that:

1) info is included on the stock drive that would need to be copied to the bigger drive (requiring imaging software).

2) the 12v and 5v power supplies have been reversed in the stock drive so if you install it into another computer or enclosure to image the drive, the drive's electronics will fry (12v should power the HDD motor, 5v power the HDD electronics).

I upgraded my current TIVO hard drive to 1TB so am not too keen on going to 320GB when I switch to Telus. Also provides a useful insurance policy in the event of hard drive failure.

Tags
hard drives , optik , pvr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in