Telus D-Link triple play router modem issues - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-27, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Question Telus D-Link triple play router modem issues

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to put it in but I have a question with the 3-in-1 (modem, switch, router) D-Link box Telus is supplying with TTV service.

From what I see, it appears that the ethernet-connected computers first go through a Switch (on the Vista network map) before that is connected to the router while the wi-fi connected computers apparently are connected straight to the router.

I wonder if this is causing network devices (D-Link DSM-520 media player connected by wi-fi) not to be able to communicate with a ethernet-connected PC while it can connect with a wi-fi connected PC on the same router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-28, 12:23 PM

I'm having this issue too (Roku SoundBridge). I can communicate with and control the SoundBridge, but for some reason the SoundBridge will not see any music libraries on the PC.

Anyone have a workaround/fix for this, short of getting a WiFi card for my PC and hooking it up to the 'net that way?
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-28, 12:56 PM

It sounds like both of you may have a configuration problem with the D-Link. You may find the following thread useful to confirm if that is the case. I don't have this hardware and don't know how much info you can see.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...54#post1066349

Probably your next step should be to contact Telus support. I don't know if they will change this for you or if you have enough networking knowledge to do it yourself.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 02:23 AM

It turns out that the problem is a known issue. It turns out the only way around this is to get a separate wifi/router and use that for your wireless stuff (and turn off the wifi stuff in the D-Link).

This is less than optimal, but at least it's something...
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 10:13 AM

I also have the 3-play router. I can say that everything is a go for me. Do not rely on the vista network map for this router it is highly inaccurate because, it does not know what what the hell the router is doing, nor does it know what the telus STBs are.

Anyways, my setup is as follows. I have 1 computer directly plugged into the router. I have my 2 STBs plugged into the router (one of them via coaxial), a ps3, a NAS device, and I have one ethernet going into another wireless N router. The N router is setup as an access point and seamlessely transfers data wired and wirelessly like a switch. I have 5 wireless devices and 1 wired media centre desktop connected to the N router (2 desptops, 2 laptops, 1 wireless printer). However, I also have a wireless G signal coming from the D-link which I use as a back up incase my N router fails.

I have setup all my devices to communicate with each other. Any device connected to any of the routers can connect and access the printer, files off the NAS and Media destop. My ps3 is able to detect and play material off the NAS and media desktop.

UPNP must be enabled on the telus router. Usually it should be enabled by default. If you can give me further insight as to your setup maybe I can help.

I do not know what would happen, if I took out my N router, but I dont think it would be an issue.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 11:23 AM

For anyone that wants the full D-Link manual:
http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/downloads2008.asp
Select DVA in the first box and G3810BN in the second.

You may not have access to all the functions, since Telus probably has it locked down.

The issue with the D-Link seems to be that the wireless devices aren't able to communicate with the wired devices. If your devices are all wired or all wireless you should be OK. Also if you are not communicating between devices, but just connecting to the internet, you should be OK.

One workaround that seems to work is to use an external wireless router.

Moiza67, you say you have the D-Link configured as a wireless backup to your N router. Have you tried testing it by powering down your N router?
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Moiza67, you say you have the D-Link configured as a wireless backup to your N router. Have you tried testing it by powering down your N router?
Ill try that after work and report back. However I should mention that only the ps3 accesses files via UPNP, and everything else is shared by mapping network folders. I have windows 7 installed on all computers at home and I dont use the homegroup feature. I have enabled complete folder sharing on my media desktop and naturally the NAS is detected on the network and I just mapped it to each computer. But I will try pulling the plug on the N router and see what happens. I would imagine only my ps3 is effected as it access content by DLNA(UPNP) and not by folder structure. Then again I use ps3 media server to do that (but ill turn that off as well).
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

It would seem mapping network folders isn't an issue with the Telus modem between wired and wifi computers (because that is how the workaround in my situation is working). I don't know how the D-Link media player looks for the server (uPnP or whatever) but it is not seeing/finding the server operating out of 2 wired PCs but is out of the wireless laptop.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 03:02 AM

I can now (happily) confirm that a wireless router (specifically EnGenius ESR-9753 4 Port 10/100 Wireless N Router 802.11B/G/N 150MBPS) added into the system has solved the problem; I can once again stream iTunes wirelessly to the stereo in the living room. (The PC is hooked up to the new wifi router, and the new wifi router is hooked up to the D-Link Triple Play, which has had its wireless features disabled.)

Shame, that, 'cause generally I like the D-Link and the integration it provides. Oh well -- at least the setup works the way it's supposed to now...
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 03:45 PM

your right, once i pulled my N router out of the network, my wired and wireless devices could not communicate with one another. weird why it would do that.
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 11:08 AM
Rookie

Same issue

Hi all,

I guess I have same issue with my PC's not being able to see each other.

All PC's have Windows 7 as OS.

One of the PC's is connected via network cable to Telus D-Link router and two other are connecting wireless.

In the Windows 7 network portion Wired PC is not able to see the wireless ones and vice verse.

The PC that is directly (network cable) connected to Telus D-link 3ple box is my HTPC. I would like to continue to stream my videos and music from my other PC's to my HTPC.

The workaround provided here is not an optimal solution. Does anybody know if Telus is taking any steps to fix this problem? I think that it is a problem since they advertise "free" wired and wireless home network with their router.
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 11:48 AM

vukc, according to post 8 you should be able to network wired and wireless Win7 PCs.
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 12:38 PM
Rookie

Dr. Dave,
I have read the proposed partial solution in the post #8. If you have read my post fully you would notice that this is not an optimal solution when trying to use the features of Windows 7, HomeGroup which "takes the headache" out of sharing files, devices, and printers on a home network.

I also forgot to mention that I have wireless printer which I'm not able to access from my network cable connected PC....

I hope that Telus will be looking for fix on this one, in order to make their already great system fully compatible with Windows 7.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I'm not sure if media streaming is supported via this partial solution as it is when using Windows 7 HomeGroup.
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

You might have to hit refresh on the network browser a time or more. That's my experience with Vista machines. They do show up though.
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-04-03, 11:19 AM
Rookie

So is this a problem with Telus or with the D-Link?

My problem is I can't get my X-Box 360 to see my computer.

My set up is:
D-Link DVA-G3810BN Router
2 STB Boxes plugged into Router
X-Box 360 plugged into Router
Wireless PC (Windows 7)

Everything works fine except I can't get the PC & X-Box to communicate.

It worked before Telus upgraded my router!

If I make my X-Box 360 wireless are you saying that would probably fix the problem? It seems kind of silly to have to buy the wireless adapter for my X-Box because it is physically located right beside the router!

Tags
internet , optik , optik tv , router , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in