Telus D-Link triple play router modem issues - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
Let me explain the steps then...

1 - Disable wireless on the Telus router.
2 - Connect one computer directly into the new router. Your computer will lease an IP from the new router allowing you to access its firmware.
3 - Configure the wireless setting on the new router to match what you had on the Telus router. If you can, test with a wireless device that it can lease an IP from the new router.
4 - Still on the new router, disable the DHCP server and set the static IP to something that matches the Telus subnet (I chose 192.168.1.253 - one digit below the Telus router's IP address).
5 - Connect both routers together LAN to LAN (do not use the WAN port of the new router).

You're done. You now have extra ethernet ports you can use on the new router and you can access both firmwares.
Okay, I'm pretty much a noob at this stuff, so I thought I'd check with the experts. I tried to follow the instructions, but I was a bit confused about what needed to be done on step 4 and perhaps this is why it's not working for me. I have the second router set up, the second router can access the internet, other devices (i.e. my cell) can connect to the router, but cannot get access to the internet.

The instructions say to disable DHCP on the 2nd or "new" router, but I actually need DHCP to be enabled on the second router. The Telus D-link G3810BN does not allow me to change the DNS, at least, I can't find a place to change it (so I got the 2nd router). I need access to the DNS to configure my Roku box the way I want. Any suggestions on what I need to do to correct this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 05:52 PM
Veteran

I wrote that a while ago and have since been upgraded to the Actiontec router so I no longer have this dual-router setup.

I disabled DHCP on the new router because Telus' locked down firmware doesn't allow you to do that. So I chose to still use the Telus router as the DHCP server. I also use a non-ISP DNS server, but I configured each Windows workstations individually to do this (still because of Telus' locked down firmware).

The instructions above was simply so you can use an extra router as a wireless access point and not use the Telus router for wireless. The reason being the problems with uPnP passthrough on the Telus router when one device is on wireless and the other is wired.
post #93 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 08:07 PM
Rookie

So to do what I want, I need to get an Actiontec? I've heard mixed reviews about these as well. The issue is Roku doesn't allow me to individually set the DNS, so it must be set in the router. *sigh* so complicated for noobs like me

post #94 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 08:31 PM
Veteran

Actually, what I posted apply for a much different situation than yours. Those steps would not help you. And an upgrade to an Actiontec router wouldn't help either as Telus locks down their firmwares to disallow such setting change.

Real question is, what's wrong with the Telus DNS and the Roku?

Tags
internet , optik , optik tv , router , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in