Telus D-Link triple play router modem issues - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 04:54 PM

Wireless and security

MattM, Like many others here, I am using my own router plugged into the Optik D-Link 3810 router, and have no problems with that - simply plug your router WAN side to the D-Link. No fussing with static IP addresses was needed. But unlike others who want network connectivity between their wired and wireless devices, I don't trust the wireless security enough, and prefer to keep it separate "outside" my LAN. I compromise and use the D-Link wireless only for Internet access. All my other stuff is wired LAN behind my own router.

By the way, one reason I don't trust the wireless side, is the 3810 only appears to support WPA-PSK and WEP protocols. WPA2-AES (stronger) doesn't seem to be a choice. For sure I would not use WEP and WPA can be cracked too if you are using a weak password. Obviously best to use a strong password. In any case, until TELUS upgrades the router to support stronger encryption, the wireless side stays "outside".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-10-30, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
By the way, one reason I don't trust the wireless side, is the 3810 only appears to support WPA-PSK and WEP protocols. WPA2-AES (stronger) doesn't seem to be a choice. For sure I would not use WEP and WPA can be cracked too if you are using a weak password. Obviously best to use a strong password. In any case, until TELUS upgrades the router to support stronger encryption, the wireless side stays "outside".
I've had a Telus Dlink 3810 for almost a year now and communication between wired and wireless has worked flawlessly.

I have had WPA2-PSK AES enabled for the same length of time.
To get the options for WPA2, you have to navigate "Local Network" -> "Wireless"->"Advanced"->"Wireless" (yeah - no typo!)
It's buried a little but it is there.

I found that while you can put in a Pre-shared key longer than 43 characters but I could only get things to work with 43 characters. Weird. My linksys with dd-wrt could take a 63 character PSK no problem.

Hope that helps.
post #78 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-10-31, 03:18 AM
Rookie

How the heck did you get the wireless to communicate with the LAN? I'm in the process of trying to get my dlink updated to the Actiontec to resolve my issues. I can't get the Apple remote app working with my Apple TV (I want to keep the ATV wired) and I can't remote desktop from my phone to a wired computer on the network.

I understand there are workarounds but if you managed to get it functioning without a workaround please let me know.

post #79 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-10-31, 06:05 PM

techman, Thanks for your tip on the WPA2-AES selection. I stand corrected, the 3810 supports it and i've switched over to it.
post #80 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-01, 03:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by netBEUI View Post
How the heck did you get the wireless to communicate with the LAN? I'm in the process of trying to get my dlink updated to the Actiontec to resolve my issues. I can't get the Apple remote app working with my Apple TV (I want to keep the ATV wired) and I can't remote desktop from my phone to a wired computer on the network.

I understand there are workarounds but if you managed to get it functioning without a workaround please let me know.
I'll check when I'm at home but I don't recall doing anything special for that.

ETA: I set no special settings at all for that. The Wireless PC gets an ip address on the same subnet as the rest of them and it just works.

I have a Win XP Pro PC using a dlink wireless usb adapter sharing files and a printer.
I have a Win 7 PC wired to the 3810 and it sees the printer and folders with no issue.
I also have an Xbox360 connected to the LAN via a HCNA bridge.

Last edited by techman; 2010-11-01 at 10:22 PM.
post #81 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 05:52 PM
Rookie

PCShare - Wireless router Dlink BCM96358 problem

Hi All,

After I Have contacted Samsung many many times... I have the feeling that i could get help here

This is was is happening with my system since I change the Wireless router to Optik TV from Telus and Updated the Firmware version of the TV and HTS systems .

Wireless router is wired connected to my Samsung TV LN46C610N1F as well as to the Home system HT-C5500 both have the latest version of firmware. I run PCShare on my two laptops but I can't see either the TV or HTS (home theater System) on the "Set Device Policy" .

I have checked the Network connection between the TV and the WR (wireless router) and there is no problem there however checking the WR , I see the TV with a different name ( Device Number 1 and not the name that I have set up at the TV which is TV-46610 )

If I go and hook my laptop directly into the router disabling the wireless connection , the names show up right on PC Share ?? but I soon I disconnect the cable the PCShare is not recognize the devices

Firewall are disconnected in the WR and the exception on each Laptop for PCShare .

I have been told by Telus that I need to know the proper set up for the WR in order to allow the PCshare program to recognize the devices ( Difficult task , I am still waiting for Tier 3 from Samsung ).

Any ideas what I should do to get this network to work ?

By the way I have Windows Vista ( Basic and Home version) on my laptops

I'll appreciate any advise that you can get me .

Thanks a lot

Gus
post #82 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 06:22 PM

Could be a firewall issue on your PC or the modem.

The programs that need to have ports opened are
WiseLinkPro.exe and http_ss_win_pro.exe
post #83 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 06:55 PM

YYCGuy, I've moved your post to the D-Link thread. This router has a problem bridging wired and wireless, particularly for the DLNA protocol which Samsung uses.

You can request Telus replace the D-Link with Actiontec modem/router which doesn't have this problem. Alternatively, you could use the D-Link for Optik TV and use your own router for the other wireless and wired connections. Here's a post with more info on configuring the D-Link with a secondary router.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=122848&page=4
post #84 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 08:58 PM
Rookie

D-Link BCM96858 PCShare problems

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help , I talk to Telus and they are going to change my D-Link BCM96358 because it is not be able to play video stream from a wireless device !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took me a few calls but finally I am successful

Thanks again and have a wonderful week

Gus
post #85 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 12:31 PM
Rookie

YYCGuy - can you post an update here after you've had the Actiontec installed? I'm considering doing the same but I want to be sure the Actiontec is as reliable or better than the DLINK as I currently have no issues with the DLINK (other than the wireless/wired not being bridged) Thx
post #86 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 01:31 PM

@ netBEUI

If you can get TELUS to switch you to an Actiontec go for it!

The Actiontec has 10/100/1000 LAN the D-Link has 10/100, the Actiontec has N wifi, the D-Link has G. The D-link has bridging issues for wifi that the Actiontec does not. The Actiontec is VDSL2 compliant the D-Link isn't and that's why it needs an ALU modem in front of it if you have VDSL2 type service, so the Actiontec means less clutter as it's a one piece solution. The Actiontec, because of the N wifi has a much better signal strength than the D-Link.

Just my opinion, but the Actiontec is the better unit of the two. Both work, obviously or TELUS wouldn't use them if they didn't, BUT the Actiontec works better.

- another TELUS tech
post #87 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-01-25, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Can anyone confirm that UPnP devices on the wired LAN will be visible on the Wireless LAN if I switch to an ActionTec router? Will Telus switch the router for free, or do I have to pay for a service call? Or what do I have to say on the phone to get them to do it for free?

I just got Optik TV installed around December 15th, so my D-Link 3810 router is still practically brand new. I actually asked for an 'N' router when the installer came to the house, but he hadn't been trained to install it yet.

Mike
post #88 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-04-07, 03:42 AM
Rookie

Port Forwarding

I am setting up a DVA-G3810, and I am having trouble getting Port Forwarding set up.

The "Add Port Forwarding Rules" off the Services/Firewall menu branches seem to be simple enough to get TDP/UDP forwarding set up.

I have set the General Firewall settings to "Minimum Security" to all inbound connections.

I have tried various ports, in case I have stumbled onto a conflict.

What else needs to be done?
post #89 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-04-14, 06:13 PM
Rookie

Dlink

I just moved my address and activated another hi speed account (in my partners name) (my original account is still active and being used at my other address) The other account has a 2 wire modem/wireless router and works great - this new dlink modem/wireless router is garbage. it appears from this thread that this issue has still not been resolved in over a year - I have a very simple setup and still cant get my home network to work properly yet. I have one desktop (Ubuntu 10.04) wired with ethernet, and 2 wireless laptops (both UBU 10.04) the laptops see each other, and the desktop can see itself, but not the home network that I had with the 2wire - I'm disappointed to say the least - :-( I'm not going to buy another wireless router to plug in - what a kludge that is! looks like telus have supplied crap to their customers!
post #90 of 94 (permalink) Old 2011-10-01, 03:54 PM
Rookie

Update - telus must have supplied a firmware upgrade not long after I made this prior posting - the dlink is working perfectly, home network is good, external hdd connected to it is working perfectly, - I am happy (didn't realize I hadn't updated this post)

>Dlink
>I just moved my address and activated another hi speed account (in my >partners name) (my original account is still active and being used at my <snip>...
>what a kludge that is! looks like telus have supplied crap to their customers!

Tags
internet , optik , optik tv , router , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in