Telus D-Link triple play router modem issues - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 08:03 PM
Veteran

Let me explain the steps then...

1 - Disable wireless on the Telus router.
2 - Connect one computer directly into the new router. Your computer will lease an IP from the new router allowing you to access its firmware.
3 - Configure the wireless setting on the new router to match what you had on the Telus router. If you can, test with a wireless device that it can lease an IP from the new router.
4 - Still on the new router, disable the DHCP server and set the static IP to something that matches the Telus subnet (I chose 192.168.1.253 - one digit below the Telus router's IP address).
5 - Connect both routers together LAN to LAN (do not use the WAN port of the new router).

You're done. You now have extra ethernet ports you can use on the new router and you can access both firmwares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 06:35 PM
Rookie

I just had Optik TV installed a week ago. Aside from having some minor stability issues, things are looking good so far. However, when I go into the router "management console", I found that aside from the devices I have plugged into the router (2 PCs and a PAP2), there's another device called "computer" attached, with the IP 192.168.1.100. I thought that would be the PVR or the STB but the network info of those boxes indicated that 192.168.1.65 and 66. I also compared the MAC address to the labels at the bottom of the PVR but it wasn't a match. Is this part of the HPNA setup?
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 07:08 PM

If it's not one of your devices it's the neighbour jumping on your wifi or something along that line... put a key on it!

post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 01:24 AM
Rookie

It's not from my neighbours. I have my wifi turned off. And also it says "Connected 100.0Mbps Full-Duplex".
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-08-24, 01:57 AM

Question Triple play D-Link + Optik + Primus Voip

Hey guys, hope I can get some advice from you on this one...

Just got my Optik installed over the weekend, and everything was working except that the laptop was connected wirelessly to the router, instead of wired. So, to fix it I ended up tearing apart the network and putting it all together. No the problem is that my Voip from Primus doesn't dial-out (nothing but dialtone when I press the buttons on the phone).

What is VERY weird is that if I unplug the Voip router from the network, the phone works! Well, I can dial out but I can't receive any calls. I haven't checked the rats-nest of the wiring, but I think the line-in from the phone jack on the wall is shared with the line-in to the new modem, and I'm using Telus' network for outdial.

Anyways, my old configuration with Telus TV worked perfectly where I (if I remember correctly) had this setup:
Modem -> Switch -> Voip
|-> Dl-524 router -> Wired Network
| \-> Wireless Network
\-> TTV Set top box

Now it's this:
Modem -> Telus Router -> Switch -> Voip
|-> TTV Set top box
\-> Wired & Wireless Network

I'm thinking if I put switch between the modem and the new Dlink Telus router, that may give the Voip box its dedicated connection as well as give the Router its own segment on the lan.

I guess I'm here asking for advice. What configuration would allow Voip to work properly and wired/wireless to work all nice and friendly?

Thanks in advance,
Mont.
post #51 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-08-24, 09:03 AM
Veteran

Montery. I have Primus VoIP as well and have no bad issues with dialing out or in. I have the adapter connected into a standard hub (not a switch) and then into the Telus router.

Have you tried connecting the adapter directly into the router instead? I find really odd that you can get half of a service (can make calls and not receive). At some point, you call it a VoIP router. Is it really a router or just an adapter?
post #52 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-08-24, 11:52 PM

Hey Marc,

Does your Primus VoIP require a Dlink box that connects to the network? That's the 'VoIP router' I refer to. Not sure if it's an adapter or a router since it has a WAN and Ethernet pair of RJ45 ports in the back.

I spent the evening tonight trying various combinations of switch/Telus Router/pre-existing wireless router, etc. All have the same end result - can receive but can't dial.

My next round of testing is where I eliminate all the variables and just plug the VoIP box directly into the back of the modem. If I can't get it working then, then I'll know I have a problem with TELUS Optik Internet configuration, and not with my network.
post #53 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-08-25, 09:55 AM
Veteran

My Primus adapter has 3 ports. 1 Ethernet port and 2 phone ports. It simply plugs directly into my router and acts as a normal network device.

I was once on Vonage where the adapter was also a 4-ports router (non wireless). I had to disable the router's internal DHCP server so it wouldn't conflict with my existing wireless router. That way, I was able to plug the Vonage router into my own router LAN-to-LAN.

Otherwise I really don't know what you be ailing you. Can receive calls, but can't dial out? It's the weirdest thing. Can you at least make it to your voicemail box? Does the dialtone disappear when you punch in numbers?
post #54 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 09:45 PM

I very rarely have to call Primus Tech support, but when I do, I'm always impressed. This time was no different, I explained what the issue was and the guy was "HUH?" But we walked through it and he understood what I was babbling on about.

I should probably explain the phone setup... I have two phone jacks (two wire each I suspect) in the wall. One labelled ADSL and the other for the apartment building intercom. Originally, there was never a dial-tone on the phone line, yet it was still hooked up to the apartment buildings front-door buzzer system so I could buzz people into the building. I had a cable running from the non-adsl port to the back of the VOIP box so I could use the intercom system in conjunction with the voip network to make or receive calls.

I am was able to place calls on the TELUS phone network (even though no phone number was provisioned to me) when I unplug the ethernet connection to the VOIP box, but could not receive calls. Plug the ethernet back in, and I could receive calls, but not make any! Primus worked with me to figure out that I have to unplug the line from the wall to the VOIP box and with that configuration I`m able to make or receive calls as per normal.

Hoever, there is a dial-tone where before there wasn`t on this buzzer line, and I can't buzz people into the building!

The issue is clearly the TELUS TV installer doing something wonky with the phone lines. Perhaps he needed 4 wires to upgrade me to Optik? In any event, I am currently waiting for the installer to come back to give me my PVR I signed up for, and will demand that he undo the mess he`s created.

If it`s the same guy. Otherwise I`ll be a little more polite!
post #55 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 11:48 PM
Rookie

I just had Optik TV, Internet and Home Phone bundle installed (moved over from Shaw + Rogers).

I've been having problems with the Dlink wireless router provided.

In my previous configuration (shaw) I had my own Dlink wireless 802.11n router working with WPA2 security. Initially I asked the technician to configure the telus DLink with the same SSID and WPA passphrase as my own router and i would disable my router. He did that, but unfortunately he set it for WEP security, and my passphrase is longer than 13 characters. So I asked him to disable the wireless on the Telus Dlink and I would just use my own.

After the technician left, I noticed that he had left both routers wireless enabled (same SSID, the Telus one set to WEP, mine set to WPA). It seemed to work for a day, but not long after, I started getting bogus IP addresses assigned.

I first tried disabling my router and configuring the Telus router. I set it for WPA, my SSID and my original passphrase. It worked - I was able to connect, but the network showed up on all computers as "unsecured". I could get it to work on WEP, but not on WPA (it always says it it enabled on the router, but shows "unsecured" on any computer and does not require a passphrase).

So - finally, I had to disable the wireless on the Telus D-Link router and set my own wireless up instead.

Now this evening, the PVR stopped working.

Is there any chance it is related to configuration of the D-Link router?

Argh!!!
post #56 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 12:02 AM

Is your wireless router set up on the same subnet as the DLink?

Make sure you aren't assigning the same range of IP addresses with your wireless or your computer and the PVR may get the same IP address. The easiest way to do that is to use different subnets. Otherwise you'll need to manage the DHCP addresses to avoid collisions.
post #57 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 12:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftToaster View Post
I just had Optik TV, Internet and Home Phone bundle installed (moved over from Shaw + Rogers).

I've been having problems with the Dlink wireless router provided.

In my previous configuration (shaw) I had my own Dlink wireless 802.11n router working with WPA2 security. Initially I asked the technician to configure the telus DLink with the same SSID and WPA passphrase as my own router and i would disable my router. He did that, but unfortunately he set it for WEP security, and my passphrase is longer than 13 characters. So I asked him to disable the wireless on the Telus Dlink and I would just use my own.

After the technician left, I noticed that he had left both routers wireless enabled (same SSID, the Telus one set to WEP, mine set to WPA). It seemed to work for a day, but not long after, I started getting bogus IP addresses assigned.

I first tried disabling my router and configuring the Telus router. I set it for WPA, my SSID and my original passphrase. It worked - I was able to connect, but the network showed up on all computers as "unsecured". I could get it to work on WEP, but not on WPA (it always says it it enabled on the router, but shows "unsecured" on any computer and does not require a passphrase).

So - finally, I had to disable the wireless on the Telus D-Link router and set my own wireless up instead.

Now this evening, the PVR stopped working.

Is there any chance it is related to configuration of the D-Link router?

Argh!!!
I've had two different d-link 3810s and have had no problems with getting WPA2-PSK to work.\
from the admin interface:
local network->wireless->overview
- Security is set to "Other"
then on the "settings" link:
Security: WPA2
Pre-shared key: <my key set here>
Encryption Algorithm: AES

One thing though, I had a super long SSID (used it on a WRT-54GL running dd-wrt with no issues) and I had to shorten it to get things to work initially.
post #58 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 01:24 AM
Rookie

Techman and Xray - thanks for the quick response (better than 40 minutes in the queue for the telus chat support - then when they ask you to reboot the router, it's back in the queue again).

The problem with WPA on the D-Link 3810 is that when you set it exactly as you describe, it accepts the configuration, and shows that it is configured for WPA or WPA2, but every computer in the house sees the network as "unsecured" and you can attach to it without a passphrase or key. I don't really want a totally unsecured network.

I can make it work with WEP, but my WiFi enabled Android phone doesn't accept alphanumeric keys - only hex and there is no mechanism for displaying the hex version of the WEP key (also entering long hexidecimal strings on that Android soft keyboard is an exercise in futility).

So I disabled the wireless in the D-Link and connected my own router to it. The Telus D-Link 3810 is on the 192.168.1.x network while my router is on the 192.168.0.x network.

A CSR on the Telus chat support suggested that perhaps disabling the wireless somehow messed up the HPNA settings on the D-Link. Except that there are no HPNA settings that I can see - only a pretty much useless HPNA diagnostics menu. Also - my 2nd TV attached to the Xbox works just fine. But to be sure, they asked me to reboot the router which ended my support session.

A technician is coming on Thursday apparently.
post #59 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 01:46 PM

I noticed that same thing with the unsecured. I also had to muck around with it a hell of a lot to turn the wireless off on the telus router. It said it was off, but I could see it, and connect to it with no authentication.

Buggy!
post #60 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 02:07 PM

Have the tech check the firmware on the DLink. When they installed mine they had to flash an updated version right out of the box.

I've had no issues with mine. My wireless is disabled.

Tags
internet , optik , optik tv , router , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in