Telus D-Link triple play router modem issues - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-04-03, 01:28 PM

Making your XBox wireless would fix your problem, yes. It appears that the wired and wireless segments of the D-Link don't communicate in the necessary way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-04-04, 01:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaariel View Post
So is this a problem with Telus or with the D-Link?

My problem is I can't get my X-Box 360 to see my computer.

My set up is:
D-Link DVA-G3810BN Router
2 STB Boxes plugged into Router
X-Box 360 plugged into Router
Wireless PC (Windows 7)

Everything works fine except I can't get the PC & X-Box to communicate.

It worked before Telus upgraded my router!

If I make my X-Box 360 wireless are you saying that would probably fix the problem? It seems kind of silly to have to buy the wireless adapter for my X-Box because it is physically located right beside the router!
I have a similar setup. (FWIW, my Xbox is using DHCP, receiving it's IP from the 3810.)
My Xbox can definitely see my Win7 PC if it is directly wired via ethernet cable to the 3810.

I currently have it connected to my PVR's ethernet port, with the PVR using the HCNA to connect to the 3810 gateway based on a suggestion I'd seen elsewhere in this forum.

Yes, I know it's unsupported set up as far as Telus is concerned but I figure if it works, I'll go with it.

It seems odd that your scenario doesn't work given that's it's pretty straight forward.
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-04-11, 08:37 PM

DLink router - disable DNS/wireless?

I'm getting TelusTV (MediaRoom) early in May (along with phone/internet). Can I assume that they'll be providing the D Link DVA G3810BN posted on their web site?

Since I have a dual band DLink 802.11n gigabit router, I want to disable the DNS routing and wireless features and use it strictly as a modem.

Is this possible or do they have this configuration locked down? Is there a modem only option for the new High Speed Turbo internet w/TelusTV?

post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-04-11, 08:59 PM

yvr76, I've moved your post to this existing thread.

Several users have reported using their own wireless router and disabling wireless on the DVA G3810BN. I don't know about the DNS.

There is a link to the DVA G3810BN manual in post 6.
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 01:26 AM

Anyone know what the exact steps are for making this work?
Do you take one ethernet connection from the telus router and run it to the secondary wireless router, then run all your wired and wireless connections through that secondary router, or do you keep your wired connections to the telus router and your wireless through the secondary router?

Any tricks to setting up the secondary router?
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 01:37 AM

Plug your wireless router into the D-Link.

Disable the wireless function on the D-Link.

Plug everything into the wireless router, and run all wireless connections through the wireless router.

This is the way I have it set up and it works perfectly for me.
post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 04:34 PM

I have my network set up like duffy11 and it works great. This way my computer traffic is on a 1 Gb subnet with 802.11N and the TV traffic is on it's own subnet.
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Plug your wireless router into the D-Link.

Disable the wireless function on the D-Link.

Plug everything into the wireless router, and run all wireless connections through the wireless router.

This is the way I have it set up and it works perfectly for me.
I've tried doing that but it doesn't work.
I've plugged my 2ndary router to the D-link, but when i connect to my 2ndary router, it shows no internet connection.

Is there a port that i need to forward or some settings to adjust that will open up the internet on my 2nd router?

Thanks
post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 02:48 PM

also, my D-Link would restart itself thus losing TV and internet when i'm download things.

Does that happen to you guys?
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 05:26 PM
Rookie

Probably unrelated, but I experience very sporadic traffic rates between devices hooked on the ethernet side and the Coax side of the router. The ping times are very inconsistent and cause frequent freezing and glitching of video streams. I have started to run cat5 to all places so I can ditch the coax.
post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 05:51 PM

I didn't have to do anything besides disable the wireless on the D-Link. Make sure your wireless router is plugged into an output port on the D-Link, but beyond that I can't think of anything else. I've never had a single freeze or anything with the setup as it is (touch wood).
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 08:25 PM

RedsunsDriver: Known issue. They have not isolated the program that is causing the issue other then we know its a bittorent/file sharing problem. If you don't use anyone of those programs and just 'download', you should not have an issue. You should be able to call into customer service and schedule a visit.

Current fix is to put a 2wire(router) in and run all the computers off of it.

Jroot: That shouldn't be happening on the coax. The previous tech may have used a non HCNA branded splitter on the coax which could be causing a huge amount of errors. (I've seen satellite splitters used). If you have access to your coax just look and see if it says HPNA on it. We have dedicated splitters now that are designed only for data transfer.

Mediaroom can be used with just a cellpipe modem but you run the risk of running out of ip's. (Since you can get up to 6 boxes) Which is why we run the dlink modem. Depending on the tech if you request it they might do it for you. (No guarantee's).

I'm a Telus Employee if that isn't readily apparent.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 09:14 PM

From what I understand, Mediaroom profiles have 7 IPs.
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 01:06 AM

I take it there is no imminent fix for the D-link?
I tried the simple plug another router in, and it didn't work for me. Granted that router is old so I might just try a new one.

I don't like the kludge of having a router on a router, but if I have to, I guess I have to.
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 10:22 AM

ok, so i plugged in the my router to the d-link and i'm able to get internet.
However, i can't seem to port forward.
I've port forwarded my router with the ip address of the computer, then i port forwarded again on the dlink with the router's ip address (makes sense to me)
but it still saids "blocked"
any advice?

Also, whats the benefits of putting in your own router?
The D-link still get the same connections /workload and will end up restarting it self wouldn't it?

Tags
internet , optik , optik tv , router , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in