Mediaroom Future Upgrades - What do you hope for and expect? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiremonkey View Post
You`re right Northguy59, I wish there was `reminder` and `auto tune` as well. They were part of the old Minerva system and I used to have that with StarChoice. I haven`t heard if its part of MR 2.0.

If DrDave sees this and can cast some light I`d like to know if that is a feature that is coming. It`s the ONLY thing I can think of thats missing from an otherwise great product. While it would be nice I`m still prepared to tough it out without it.

Lots of customers ask for this, including my wife

- another TELUS tech
I'm always baffled why someone would ever watch shows in "real time" on a PVR. Why not record it and AT LEAST skip over the commercials?

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why anyone would want to watch a show at the time that it's on WITH commercials when you could just watch it whenever you want and skip over commercials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 11:29 PM

Excellent logic, I've almost got my wife convinced.

Some customers would still like it because as hard as it is to believe, some customers order only one STB and they choose a 330, some even have 2 330s. I try to talk them (upsell) into a PVR but for some its just not something they think is worth the extra $5/month.

To each their own I guess.

- another TELUS tech
post #78 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 11:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestor_X View Post
Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why anyone would want to watch a show at the time that it's on WITH commercials
For shows that are live so you can also interact on social sites with other viewers? My wife does that.

post #79 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 07:30 AM

Wow. I had no idea people did that.

Thanks.
post #80 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 06:37 PM
RSS

Well the only thing anybody should be asking for is for this service to go straight into our HTPC's and then we don't have to deal with Telus forcing us to buy crappy PVR's and digital tuners(not as crappy as shaw i do admit). Since they are already using mediaroom/media center shows that it's easily possible but they don't make any money on that so its a no go.

and a giant facepalm to the $5/month on using your own Xbox then nuterring it by not allowing you to record to it. But i forgot anybody recording digital data to a internet capable device is a criminal and should be executed and there estate transfered over to the cable/interenet companies no evidence needed just guilty guilty guilty.

Those are my hopes and dreams but until the CRTC is gone none will be a reality :-(
post #81 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 12:06 AM

@Meestor_X (sorry for being bit off topic )

Does not telus get there feeds from both Shaw and Bell?. becasue I have seen a lot Bell tv adds and quite few Starchoice (shaw direct now). But I know Sat feeds for both do have 5.1 sound for SD channels.

I still have Starchoice with 401 SD 5.1 Box at my parents place. I know on movie channels they do get DD 5.1 sound from stations like showcase action,Movie central and few other 600+ channels.
I know Nation geographic on SD got DD 5.1. I think Global Calgary SD did too when they we're playing movies.. but I cant remember.

So why they not currently letting SD channels have 5.1 I think is just strange, what to save bit bandwidth? Come on Telus, as much I love it telus TV, I do hope future updates they add 5.1 to SD channels and show in the guild info which channels for both SD and HD are in 5.1 DD

Last edited by CentaurChester; 2011-02-08 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #82 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiremonkey View Post
I'm not sure if 5.1 is avail on SD, are you certain it wasn't prologic surround? I'm not saying it can't be 5.1, to be honest I've never given it much thought, but I wouldn't think SD had the bandwidth for 5.1
I'm certain it was 5.1 "proper" as my receiver changes modes automatically depending on whether it receives PCM or DD.
post #83 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 06:06 PM

I'll tell you one thing, the reminder system on SaskTel is absolute trash.

Also, I'm just wondering, does Mediaroom's guide lag a lot on HDTV's for Telus? The guide is rather slow, and I wanna know if its either just me, or even the Motorola boxes (hmm, may the Cisco ones be faster?)
post #84 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 06:24 PM

I haven't noticed any lag with the guide (other than the first time you pull it up). It's super speedy on the Xbox.
post #85 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 06:28 PM

The guide works fine with Mediaroom on MTS TV using Motorola VIP1216 and 1200.
post #86 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 09:00 PM

I've heard that the guide is faster in 2.0.
post #87 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 10:51 PM

If you reboot all your STBs starting Feb 10th you'll find out.

Only do 3 STBs at a time beginning with the PVR. takes about 10 min.

Might even be good to start with a fresh reboot of your Actiontec.

- another TELUS tech
post #88 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 12:16 AM

Ooo Are we getting something new?
post #89 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 12:26 AM

Telus guys told me this morning (we actually have a good working relantionship)there was an update to Mediaroom which I think is pretty neat actually!

People in Edmonton apparently started seeing this today.

Regular Telus HD Set Top Boxes (330’s) now have the ability to pause and rewind “live TV” (something only the TV connected to the PVR could do)
However, you must have a PVR in the home for this to work. E.g. customer cannot have 2 regular HD STB’s and get PVR functionality on them.

Some visual Guide changes happened – there is a new look for the progress bar

Previous / Last button gives the 5 previous channels at a time when navigating the guide.

I think that was all that was said. Maybe Wiremonkey can fill us in.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #90 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 08:02 AM

The Mediaroom update will probably contain the features listed in this post.

Tags
media center , mediaroom , microsoft , telus , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in