Mediaroom Future Upgrades - What do you hope for and expect? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 136 (permalink) Old 2010-12-19, 07:05 PM

I watched an SD channel last night and remarked that it was transmitting 5.1 audio. Up until then I had not noticed anything but stereo from SD channels. HD was a crapshoot, depending on the TV program.

I too thought that 5.1 would only be possible on HD, but it's not so. I'm not sure who determines whether a show will get 5.1 or not, but it's not a limitation of the hardware or MediaRoom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 136 (permalink) Old 2010-12-26, 07:05 PM

The broadcaster determines 5.1 or stereo. TELUS doesn't modify content as far as I know (but they don't tell me nothin').

I'm not sure if 5.1 is avail on SD, are you certain it wasn't prologic surround? I'm not saying it can't be 5.1, to be honest I've never given it much thought, but I wouldn't think SD had the bandwidth for 5.1

- another TELUS tech
post #63 of 136 (permalink) Old 2010-12-26, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightglory View Post
Isn't there a "digital service fee" of $5/mo if you use the XBOX?
Yes there is.

- another TELUS tech

post #64 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-23, 08:01 PM

I would like to have the ability to automatically add extra time (15,30, 60 minutes) to any "live" recording, whether it is a sporting event or Academy awards.

I would also like to have a series recording based on key words. For instance, I would like to the Vancouver Canucks games recorded in HD from any of the channels (RSN, TSN or CBC). Right now it is a bit tedious.
post #65 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-25, 10:44 AM
Rookie

We need to be able to use the X360 as a true STB, and pause/fast forward/rewind etc as you can on the main PVR.
post #66 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-27, 01:31 AM

Rumor has it that TELUS will release Mediaroom 2.0 in early March, one of the new features will be the ability to watch programs that are on your PVR from any computer or smartphone. Also, you will be able to record 4 HD feeds at once........
post #67 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-27, 03:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanagee1 View Post
I would like to have the ability to automatically add extra time (15,30, 60 minutes) to any "live" recording, whether it is a sporting event or Academy awards.

I would also like to have a series recording based on key words. For instance, I would like to the Vancouver Canucks games recorded in HD from any of the channels (RSN, TSN or CBC). Right now it is a bit tedious.
Both of these for sure. When you go to record something it should automatically ask you how long you'd like to record extra for ie: 0, 15, 30 60 etc! Plus recording a sports team option would be awesome!
post #68 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-27, 03:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
Rumor has it that TELUS will release Mediaroom 2.0 in early March, one of the new features will be the ability to watch programs that are on your PVR from any computer or smartphone. Also, you will be able to record 4 HD feeds at once........
I talked to a senior level tech today and he said that Telus plans to have 3 HD streams available for everyone by Q2 and to call back in 1 month to see if it's available for me. He sounded pretty confident about it. Whether that means there's gonna be even more bandwidth I have no idea but that would be sweet!

Is there a changelog or anything for Mediaroom? It'd be interesting to see what version we're on compared to what the latest one available is.
post #69 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 07:27 PM

Ahhhhhh sweet rumours. I never pay any attention to rumours, The rumour mill is too worn out and the products flawed all too often.

I watch the company info constantly, haven't heard any of this.

- another TELUS tech
post #70 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 07:47 PM

Lets just say it is far from a rumour, mark March 7th on your calendar
post #71 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosTheBosch View Post
Is there a changelog or anything for Mediaroom? It'd be interesting to see what version we're on compared to what the latest one available is.
Microsoft doesn't publish a change-log for end users since it's sold to and customized by service providers. See my previous post for a list of changes in Mediaroom 1.6. Mediaroom 2.0 was announced at CES a year ago with a feature list, but no one has fully implemented it yet.
post #72 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-30, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
Lets just say it is far from a rumour, mark March 7th on your calendar
Hillman, no doubt Mediaroom 2.0 is in my future and the future of all Optik customers. I'd agree thats more than a rumour. As to which features are to be implemented, I have no idea and unless you're in the Optik development department of TELUS neither do you, and if you were I strongly doubt you'd say anything about it here, unless you were tired of working @ TELUS.

If you are in the know PM me please, I can keep a secret

- another TELUS tech
post #73 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 10:58 AM
Rookie

I would really like the Reminder and Auto Tune features that i had on Shaw Direct. That being said I love this system so far.
post #74 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 02:23 PM

You`re right Northguy59, I wish there was `reminder` and `auto tune` as well. They were part of the old Minerva system and I used to have that with StarChoice. I haven`t heard if its part of MR 2.0.

If DrDave sees this and can cast some light I`d like to know if that is a feature that is coming. It`s the ONLY thing I can think of thats missing from an otherwise great product. While it would be nice I`m still prepared to tough it out without it.

Lots of customers ask for this, including my wife

- another TELUS tech
post #75 of 136 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 04:36 PM

Sasktel has reminder/auto tune. I'm not sure is this part of the official Mediaroom 2.0 release or something they have developed. I've seen a lot of complaints that the feature doesn't work that well.

I've learned to live without the feature (which I used on Shaw Cable). I just record everything as a series and watch it on my own schedule.

Tags
media center , mediaroom , microsoft , telus , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in