Installation - What to Expect? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 2010-02-17, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Installation - What to Expect?

I'm making the jump from Bell Sat to Telus Mediaroom and my install date is Feb 21. I have a couple questions regarding the install:

1) Is there any benefit to install using CAT 5 vs coax to the tv locations?

2) What is the normal set-up and install for 3 boxes (1 PVR)? Is it just phone line to D-Link, then coax from Dlink to splitter to tv locations?

3) Can I specify where to place the D-Link or is it generally placed in the basement near the electrical box for easy split out to tv locations?

4) Can I request to only use the D-Link for the tv and still use the Speedtouch modem and my router for the computer and WiFi?

5) I'm curious why there is a charge for the 3rd box installation? After the main PVR is installed, wouldn't it just be to plug the 3rd box into coax. Why doesn't Telus allow the customer to install the additional boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-02-18, 09:32 AM

1) no benifit for the box but if you already have cat5 you can still run hardwired networked items so that to me is a benifit not to use the existing cat 5!
2)exactly what you wrote with the exception of they add a pots filter in the phone line before the dlink
3)sure just ask them
4)not sure about that, but think I read they will only provision one
5)if its just plugging in I dont think they charge for the install of the 3rd box.

TBD yet again :)
Old 2010-02-18, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks ctown. Any idea if I can hook up one box via cat 5 and the rest with coax?

Old 2010-02-18, 04:39 PM

"Any idea if I can hook up one box via cat 5 and the rest with coax?"

That I am not sure about, but I can test it out tonight for you and see if it works

Old 2010-02-18, 05:19 PM
AJM
Rookie

Hi. I have the Cisco 430 connected with Cat5, and the 330 connected with coax. Been like that since TTV was installed 6 months ago. No problems.
Old 2010-02-18, 09:24 PM

If all your set top boxes are connected via cat5, you don't need the dlink.

Your setup could look like this.
speedtouch modem
> switch
>> switch port 1 to your router
>> switch port 2 to tv1
>> switch port 3 to tv2
>> switch port 4 to tv3
Old 2010-02-18, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone. Only one tv location has cat 5 run to it, the others only have coax. I guess I'll just wait and see what the installer does this weekend. I'm hoping I can have speedtouch to switch. Port 1 of switch to my Linksys router for wifi. Port 2 of switch to Dlink for tv. I've had issues in the past using the "all-in-one" modems for wifi (signal strength and connection issues) where is I know my Linksys gives me reliable coverage around my entire house and backyard.
Old 2010-02-19, 11:06 AM

"I've had issues in the past using the "all-in-one" modems for wifi (signal strength and connection issues) where is I know my Linksys gives me reliable coverage around my entire house and backyard."

I was a bit disappointed when I first hooked up to the dlink with wireless but what I did was bridge the telus dlink with my dlink dir-655 that on my upper floor on the same wifi network and now I have perfect seamless wifi thruout the house and outside using both routers. And then added a gigabite switch in the basement with the telus dlink to hard wire the rest of my home network. Works perfect now!

Old 2010-02-19, 09:17 PM

TTV was installed today to replace my Shaw Direct service. The installers did a great job, even cleaned up my cat5 and coax cabling under the stairs where everything is run, looks nice and clean now. They left the 2Wire box along with the new Dlink box because he said the Dlink's wifi wasn't as good, so I was really impressed with that. Everything was hooked up and working perfectly, took them about 3 hours.

I have a mix of coax and cat5 runs to my 4 tv's. The put new ends on all of my coax wall plates and made up new coax cables to the back of the stb's.

Good job by the installers, I was really impressed.
Old 2010-02-21, 06:25 PM
pmc
Rookie

Just to clarify, if I want to have Telus TV (mediaroom) installed, can they use the existing coax cable or do you need something else? Is one coax line sufficient for each TV.

thanks
Old 2010-02-21, 08:03 PM

Before the installer reuses the coax, he checks for the quality of the cable. If it's good, he'll use it. Of course, this depends where the modem will be.

Only one coax is required by the set top box, similar to Shaw Cable.
Old 2010-02-22, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, the install was fairly painless. Took him roughly 2 hours in total including a brief tutorial on how the system works. I must say that Mediaroom is great, but I am now having issues with my internet.

My install is phone line to Dlink in the basement with all the tvs hooked up via a splitter to the HPNA port of the Dlink. For my internet, he connected port 1 of the Dlink to the WAN port on my Linksys router. We disabled WiFi on the Dlink so that it would use the Linksys. Then my computer is connected to port 1 of the Linksys. Seems very odd. At any rate, it didn't work at first until he changed the subnet on the linksys. My computer could then access the internet and my laptop could connect wirelessly to the Linksys as well. This morning however, I have no internet access but the Tvs work fine. The internet light on the Linksys is not lit. I've done some searching and it looks like I should be connecting the Dlink to port 1 on the Linksys not the WAN port and then disabling DHCP and giving it a fixed IP. Is this the best way to set it up? Or should I bridge the routers?
Old 2010-03-01, 12:45 AM
Rookie

To those that got it installed and live in a condo, do I need to give access to the telus TV rep to go into the communication / utility rooms of the building?

They went into those rooms when I first originally installed Telus TV, but seeing how I'm just upgrading some boxes and installing new software, they shouldn't need access, right?

thanks
Old 2010-03-01, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchan View Post
To those that got it installed and live in a condo, do I need to give access to the telus TV rep to go into the communication / utility rooms of the building?

They went into those rooms when I first originally installed Telus TV, but seeing how I'm just upgrading some boxes and installing new software, they shouldn't need access, right?

thanks
No, they don't need access to anything other than your STBs and router.
Old 2010-03-02, 01:30 AM
Rookie

ok great! thanks for the answer temo!

Tags
ftth , optik , telus , telus tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in