Installation - What to Expect? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:54 PM

Quote:
What's the deal with not being able to record in HD?
If you're talking about the HTPC, an analog tuner only records in SD. The PVR can record up to 2 HD and 2 SD at once.

If you want to copy a program from the PVR, you have to play it back in real-time and record it to your PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 06:03 AM

Hauppauge has the HD PVR that records in HD by component video. I read in a different thread where people were thinking about using that and an infrared blaster to record off the STB. It doesn't sound like too many people have been able to do this but, just curious if any of you actually did it.
post #78 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 09:11 AM

I did a search in the Telus forum and saw a few people (myself included) suggest the Hauppauge HD PVR, however I haven't seen anyone actually use it here. In theory it should work, but from what I recall in the Home Theatre forum it's not exactly trouble free.

The Telus PVR is a simpler, cheaper and more reliable solution. The new model they introduced in March gives you up to 115 hours of HD or 295 hours of SD.

post #79 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 10:17 PM

It's nice that the proprietary PVR is easy to use. For me though not being able to automatically archive recordings into files is a step down from an HTPC, even if the PVR gives many hours of storage. Can't have everything I guess.
post #80 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 03:17 PM
Rookie

What to expect from installation... Not much

So, I've been sitting here waiting for smellus to arrive to install Optik this morning. when they didn't arrive by noon as they were supposed to, I phoned.

They have no record of an order, however the rep. I booked with added everything to the remarks, however made no order !!!

They are very sorry and can come in two weeks to do the install... and give me a month free !!!

I've just booked with Shaw to install TV, Internet and Phone next week.

After 15 years of phone and internet with Telus, I'm done !
post #81 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 03:31 PM

geeze. sux to be you (no smart alex intended. i would do same)
my install is due to take place tomorrow (Friday) hope i have better luck than you.
I have Shaw now but set to cancel on July30. If they no show me and put me off 2 weeks i would cancel Telus and uncancel Shaw. (but i really do not want to have to do that)
but i think i am ok as i called yesterday to confirm that they phone my cell as i have no intercom.
post #82 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 03:36 PM
Veteran

Another "1 post" new comer slamming Telus? Do they all come here when they have an issue?
post #83 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 03:46 PM
Rookie

Actually I came here to learn about Optik before I decided upon it, and decided it was the best product, however customer service is equally important.

I learned alot about the service from here, by browsing the postings and searching... rather than taking up someones time asking the questions I had. And given the slam, I was better off not asking. Looks like I hit a loyal telus employee's nerve.
post #84 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 04:06 PM
Veteran

You sure are quick to make assumptions about my nerves. So now you come here to slam and make personal attacks. Nice start.
post #85 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-08-06, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Telus Optik Install questions

I'm scheduled for installation next week.

Our home office room currently has Telus High Speed internet via phone line. This room doesn't have any coax outlets.

We have 2 TVs in 2 separate rooms with coax and phone outlets.

Can Telus install the internet modem in the home office room via phone line and hook up the PVR and HD Box via coax?

Thanks!
post #86 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 12:50 AM

EBAL, if the modem is installed in your home office, Telus will probably run a coax cable to the main splitter. The Telus installer will suggest the best location for the modem once he sees the layout of your home. He may install the modem near the demarc where the phone line enters the home and run Category 5 Ethernet cable to the office.
post #87 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 01:27 AM

The installer may also install Cat5 to every TV, or Cat5 to 1 of the TV's depending on the condition of the coax and how it was installed.

Its also possible the installer could install the modem elsewhere in the house and run a cat5 to the computer room, or have the computers connected with wireless adapters.

It really depends on the layout of your house, where the TV's are and many other factors as to how the install will happen.

If you have anything specific you want (i.e you would really like the modem to stay in the computer room if possible) make sure to let the installer know and I'm sure they will do their best to accommodate.
post #88 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 04:53 PM

Telus employee - shed some light for me?

I really want to get Telus TV now that I can use my xbox for a second TV and use my iPhone to record shows.

I call Telus today to get set up, and the earliest they could book an appointment for me is september 1st!

I am in Victoria, do they not have an installer in Victoria or something? That far away makes it feel like they are just pulling someone over from vancouver once and a while to do some installs.

I really don't want to wait until next month to get this going
post #89 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 05:24 PM

I don't work for Telus, but I guess the Telus installers in Victoria are going flat out trying to keep up with all the new customers now that they've started advertising Optik TV.

Three weeks isn't so bad. When I had MTS TV installed in Winnipeg I had to wait over a month.

BTW in the last quarter, Telus added 29,000 new TV customers - not counting all the existing Telus TV customers that are switching to Optik TV.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-08-10 at 05:39 PM. Reason: more info
post #90 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 07:05 PM

As Dr.Dave just said....29,000 NEW TTV customers between April 1 and June 30. That is a lot of work that didn't exist for the workforces to deal with not all that long ago. Judging from what is being said on these forums about TTV, the number of installations is only increasing and now we are in summer with more installers on holidays etc. Three weeks will go by quickly...

*Telus Employee*

Tags
ftth , optik , telus , telus tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in