Installation - What to Expect? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 03:56 PM

Digidave...
with the 15 mb profile you can watch 1 hd and 2 sd at the same time channels while with the 19.2 mb profile you can watch 2 hd and 1 sd at the same time. There is also a 25 or 26 mb/s profile which has 3hd and 1 sd. No matter what profile you have you get download speeds up to 15mb/s....which is to say that when you are not watching tv you should have 15 or very close to 15mb/s. If you watch one hd channel only you would probably drop down to 8 or 9 mb/s and if you add a couple of sd channels you would have about 3mb/s left (not 100% on numbers but should be close). No matter what you should have around 3mb/s if you are using all feeds. Hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 04:40 PM

Here is a summary of all the info I've gathered about Optik TV speed.

Code:
Profile	HD	SD	Speed
15	1	2	13
19.2	2	1	15
19.4	2	1	15 	VDSL
26	3	1	25	VDSL
The profile is the modem training rate and the speed is the actual usable speed. The standard Optic internet speed is 15 Mbps; the 25 Mbps speed on the 26 Mbps profile is an extra cost option.

SD channels are encoded at 2.25 Mbps and HD at 5.6 Mbps.

If you have the 15 Mbps profile, your maximum speed is 13 Mbps with no TVs. Your internet speed with 1 HD stream is 13-5.6=7.4. Your internet speed watching or recording 1 HD and 2 SD is 13-5.6-2.25-2.25=2.9. That speed is adequate for surfing, but on the slow side for downloading large files like video.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-08-26 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Update VDSL speeds
post #63 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 05:26 PM

This is all very useful info and I get it, but it's worrying that it conflicts with what Telus is telling me. Most of all, sounds like I cannot watch or record more than one HD channel with the 15 profile. Is that right? If it is, I would be looking to cancel this whole thing, so this is quite important because I certainly often watch one HD and record another at the same time right now.

Not being able to do that is simply not what Telus promote, namely, a triple HD tuner.

post #64 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 06:38 PM

You are correct that you will only be able to watch 1 hd channel. That would have definitely been a problem for me as well....but I was able to get the 19.2 profile....and soon will be upgraded to the 25mb profile. If that is a big issue for you your best bet might be to wait for the 19.2 mb profile and then order it. I will say that I think that optik tv is a very good quality product and I have had no regrets in switching from shaw direct as I find it superior in almost every way (if that helps).
post #65 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 06:47 PM

Digidave, it sounds like your best bet would be to wait until your area is upgraded to VDSL which will allow you to watch or record at least 2 HD and 1 SD channels at once.

If you are only eligible for the 15 Mbps profile, then you can only get 1 HD and 2 SD streams at a time. You'll see a lot of discussion of that in this forum. You may wish to call Telus back and confirm that you will only get the 15 Mbps profile. The best way to double-check that is to ask them how many HD and SD streams you can get.
post #66 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 07:03 PM

Okay, very interesting news from Telus. Clearly some on this board know this, but it's big news to me.

They now confirm that I can only ever watch or record one HD channel. Only one. Triple tuner only applies to one HD and two SD. So if I am watching say, hockey in HD and wanting to record some other HD show at the same time, can't do it. Let me put this in caps because I think it's really important (not because I'm shouting) Unless you are lucky enough to have the 19.2 or higher service...

TELUS TV ONLY ALLOWS YOU TO WATCH OR RECORD ONE HD CHANNEL. ONLY ONE AND THAT'S IT.

I live in urban Vancouver, in Kitsilano, and this is the best service I can get. So for me, that's a deal breaker. Sticking with Bell TV until Telus is able to provide the service they represented when I went and booked it. I have it in writing from Telus that I can watch or record any three channels on any TV. They just don't bother to explain what they mean by "any".
post #67 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 02:12 PM
Rookie

I have been reading multiple areas of this site for a little over an hour, and haven't quite figured out what I'm looking for yet, so I'm wondering if anyone can explain something.

For some background, I'm in a new area that qualifies for 2HD/1SD and the tech who set up my internet says I've got bandwidth well over 25. So my connection would be good. As such, I am debating replacing my Shaw setup, but want to understand how the multiroom viewing works on Optik.

Currently, my house is wired for audio and video completely centrally. We have 6-zone speaker system that can send IR signal from the keypads back to the main unit. We have TVs in four locations. One location is wired with HDMI and component from the source. The other locations get their video from the main unit through a series of 3 RF modulators and a combiner which transmits the three video sources (currently 2 shaw PVRs and a Blu-ray) through a coax line to the multiple viewing locations. To access the components I simply change the TV channel to whichever channel corresponds to the device. The previous owner also helped future proof the setup by running two Cat5 runs to each TV location from the utility room.

Now I am reading about the Telus Optik system and the fact 1 box can send video to up to 6 different Televisions and view different programming on some or all of the location. Reading the site it appears to be possible over coax or Cat5 with a slight preference to Cat5 if available.

Now with all of this said. How does it work? Does the PVR have multiple built in RF modulators that sends signals through different TV channels, or is it some more complex setup? Also how does it know which TV location is which?

Should I choose to use the Cat5 lines rather than coax, how does it connect to the actual TV in the new location. Is it through Composite/S-Video/Component/HDMI or is there another box at the TV location which turns it into a Coax line into the TV? Does the fact that I have 2 Cat5 to each TV location give me the ability to view the HDTV channels in HD on all TVs?

I'm facinated at the concept, but just can't put the pieces together as to how it actually works and would appreciate a more technical explanation as to how the system works.

Thanks
post #68 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 03:00 PM

Hi boneshj, welcome to Digital Home Canada.

Telus Optik TV is designed to operate with 1 PVR in the home and a Set-Top-Box (STB) at each additional TV. The PVR is all-digital, so it captures a stream of bits and stores the file on the hard drive. It can record 2 HD and 1 SD streams at the same time. TVs watching prerecorded programs from the PVR don't count as part of the 2HD/1SD limit.

The communication between the devices is over a digital network and can use Cat5 or coax. All STBs are HD-ready so the TV can be connected by Composite/S-Video/Component or HDMI. Each STB has it's own remote control which controls live channels or access to the central PVR.

If you wanted to keep your existing coax system for sharing the Blu-ray player, then you should use Cat5 for connecting the other STBs since the coax modulators and combiner probably don't meet digital network standards.
post #69 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 06:18 PM
Rookie

Thanks. That actually makes alot of sense. It's basically a network of computers (set-top boxes) feeding into a server (PVR). It's actually quite impressive in it's simplicity. Thanks again.

How big are the set-top boxes approximately?
post #70 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 06:40 PM

PVR is about 9-10" wide, < 3" high, ^" deep. STB is a wee bit smaller (narrower).
post #71 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 12:22 PM

basic questions

Do I need one digital box rental per TV, and is it still only 1 HD stream at once?
Does each digital box use a phone cable?
How can I use a computer TV tuner to record shows like I can with analog cable?
post #72 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 12:35 PM

1. You cold run up to 2 TVs per box (all showing the same channel) if you connect one with HDMI and the other with composite/component/S-video. Depending on where you are (i.e., Telus local capability), anywhere from 1 to 3 HD streams simultaneously.

2. No, one telephone cable to the modem which feeds up to 6 STBs/1 PVR + up to 5 STBs from there.

3. No.
post #73 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:00 PM

so the box connects to the modem by ethernet?
I think some people use an 'infrared blaster' to control this type of boxes. Would that work? It'd be a step down for me to give up the ability to record to PC.
post #74 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:14 PM

Normally there is one box per TV. The STBs can be purchased or rented and there is currently a promo to get a free PVR rental on a 3 year contract.

I would suggest taking a close look at the PVR option - record up to 4 programs at once and watch them anywhere in the home. You can only record 2 HD programs at once. With the HTPC you could use an IR blaster but you can only record 1 channel in SD.

The STBs can be connected via Cat5 Ethernet or existing coax.
post #75 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:44 PM

What's the deal with not being able to record in HD?

Actually I'm happy with using an HTPC with basic cable because it's so easy to make copies of recording and not having to delete anything. I don't like the idea of discarding old recordings to make room for new ones. Unless of course there is a simple way of making copies with the Telus PVR that I don't know about.

Tags
ftth , optik , telus , telus tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in