Installation - What to Expect? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 04:13 PM

Quote:
If I have an existing network in my home, can the TTV use that? Or does it need dedicated cat5 (or coax) cables? I have cat5 going to both my TVs, but it's there connected to a switch for other things at the moment (PC, 360, PS3).

So, can the TTV just plug into the switch at each TV?
In general, no, but there is probably a solution that will work for you. I puzzled over this a bunch before getting TTV installed. Our existing home network is all behind a router/firewall and TTV can't just plug into it. We had to run a dedicated CAT 5 line from the TTV Ethernet switch to the STB (we only have one). If you are lucky to have all your CAT5 wiring running to a patch panel, you might be able to put all the switches and routers there and avoid running new lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the reply

This is sort of the setup I'm hoping will work. Is there a special telus modem that is required, or will the current one I have work? (currently have Siemens Gigaset SE567)
post #48 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 07:46 PM

1. TELUS will install a POTS Splitter at the premise box (usually it is the gray box outside the house.)

2. The phone jack where the modem will be connected to will only be used for internet/TTV. If you require a phone in that location, tell the installer. He will change that jack to a dual jack...one for voice, the other for internet/TTV.

3. Your Siemens will be replaced with the DLink Gateway.

4. The rest in your diagram will work.

post #49 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-07, 04:55 PM

Leftarm, your drawing doesn't show a router. If you want to run a private home LAN with file sharing, etc. and be secure, you best put a router after the TELUS switch and put all your network stuff on the LAN side of the router. Yvrwindsor posted the basic idea a few pages back. In our set-up, it meant running a couple CAT 5 lines between rooms but fortunately just through a single wall. I'm old-school, don't trust wireless LANs enough.
post #50 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-07, 05:27 PM

Ah, I always thought that the Telus Siemens was a built in router. I guess that's something else I'll have to look into. But that would be a simple enough thing to add to the mix.

I don't want to have to run an extra cable. Live in a condo, so it's not too easy and all the current cat5 was run when it was built.
post #51 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-07, 07:03 PM

You're correct, the Siemens is also a router.
post #52 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-07, 07:04 PM

The D-Link is a router as well. For anyone that wants the full D-Link manual:

http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/downloads2008.asp
Select DVA in the first box and G3810BN in the second.
post #53 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-21, 03:41 PM

Just got Telus TV (MediaRoom) installed yesterday, along with switching back my internet + phone from Shaw.

I only have one HD TV in the living room, which he originally set up using my condo's existing cat5 wiring. This was an issue as it put my home theatre components on a different network (subnet) as my office. In case anyone has the same concerns, you can still use their DLink DSL Gateway, disable the wireless and run an ethernet cable from it to your own router (and then hook everything else up from there).

Since I only had a single cat5 cable running from my office -> living room, I couldn't use this for the TV (since the connection would be on their router's subnet and not mine), so I had them run the TV signal over the existing coax.

In can post a diagram if anyone is interested or wants more info
post #54 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 01:58 PM

What is the optimum situation technically...

I'm about to make the big switch from a Bell sat TV/Shaw cable for phone-internet system. I've got major cold feet.

I'm hoping you tech experts can help arm me to grill the installer to make sure I'm getting the optimum internet/Optik results.

Here's what I know from the installer that just changed my phone line over to TELUS.

I just found out that the "SAK" (sp?) box is only 400 meters away and the head office/switcher (?) is 3 km away.

Is that good?

I want be armed for the TV/internet install...

JUMP IN!!
post #55 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 02:42 PM

-ask if the bridge taps (if there are) are removed
-make sure you get a business card
-make sure everything works (phone, wireless etc) before the installer leaves
-browse through the existing threads on telus mediaroom..
-get a channel listings sheet (the channel numbers will take a while to get used to)

and, if you arent sure, ask while he/she is there.

***telus employee but my views are all my own***
post #56 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 03:38 PM

@IanJames

Your distance from the fibre-optic node is 400 meters which is good. The other distance is not really important since that communication is done over optical fibre and distance isn't an issue.
post #57 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJames View Post
I just found out that the "SAK" (sp?) box is only 400 meters away
SAC = "Service Area Concept", IE breaking each small geographic area down to it's own area fed by one cross connect (SAC) box. Now often referred to as an RDAC which is the fibre to copper converter installed at the SAC to feed higher speed ADSL and Optik TV.

*Telus Employee*
post #58 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 01:10 AM

Comparing internet download speeds

I am in the same position as Ian James. Going from Bell Satellite TV and Shaw Internet and phone to Telus everything. I have been posting questions here and have received many helpful answers, but I wanted to ask specifically about internet speed. I read in this thread that with TV on, a user was getting 7mbs with Telus.

If I use Speedtest.net with my Shaw internet, it shows me getting 10mbs, although I have had it getting as high as 15mbs. Having said that, I just tried downloading a 64mb file and it took about 1 minute ten seconds, or 70 seconds. That sounds like only about 1mbs.

Can someone explain to me how I am meant to compare download speeds properly? I would really like to know if I can expect better or worse with Telus. If I am really getting only 1mbs with Shaw, that's pretty lousy.
post #59 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 09:43 AM

@Digidave, I think I answered your questions in the From Bell to Telus thread. As explained, it sounds like your Shaw line speed is 10 Mbps (megabits per second). Your file is 64 MB (megabytes) or 64*8=512 megabits. The actual speed was 512/70= 7.3 Mbps. (hint: b=bits, B=bytes)

Most of the speeds you see posted here are based on the 19.2 Mbps profile. With VDSL being rolled out, profiles are as high as 26 Mbps and allow 1SD and 3HD streams. If you are really concerned about this you should phone Telus and find out which speed applies to your location.

With a 19.2 profile you will get about 15 Mbps with no TVs on, 10 Mbps with 1 HD stream, 7 Mbps with 1 HD and 1 SD, etc.
post #60 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 02:56 PM

Thanks again Dr. Dave. I guess I was mixing up my bits and bytes!

So I just called Telus and this is still confusing. The woman was very helpful and also contacted here tech support person. She confirmed that my area would have the 15Mbps profile, not the 19.2, but that would mean that I would get 15Mbps (no TV). I quoted your post about needing 19.2 to get 15 and she was very clear that I would get 15Mbps download, but my profile was not the 19.2.

So this is confusing. Somehow, I suspect that again, Telus is confused about their very own service, so I'm not sure what to expect, but I told the woman that when I get it installed, I will see if I have 15Mbps download and she assured me that I would (or near enough).

By way of further comparison, I just downloaded a 91 mb file in 100 seconds on Shaw. So by your formula, I am getting 7.28Mbps now, at noon on a weekday. By that token, I will get much higher speeds with Telus when I am not watching TV and when I am, it will be about what I have now, or still better if I am only watching on HD feed. Of course I might be watching one HD and recording one or even two more HD feeds and that would make my internet slow a lot.

Come to think of it, if I was watching one HD and recording two other HD feeds (which is possible) would that make my internet speed go to zero? Not sure how that would work.

Tags
ftth , optik , telus , telus tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in