Installation - What to Expect? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 11:18 PM

So far, not impressed with the process

I was scheduled for an install between 8-10 AM. I called them at 10:05 AM to ask what was happening given that they missed the install window. told that the installer has been dispatched and should be there in 45 minutes. I needed to leave the house by 11:15 but I figured I had about at least 15 minutes to instruct the installer then I will leave him there with other non-tech family members. No luck. I get a call from the installer at 12:20, in the middle of a lunch appointment, to tell me that they could not come today, can they reschedule for tomorrow.

So far, Telus is batting pretty low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-25, 06:53 PM

I had the exact opposite installation. Both guys were very thorough. Almost too thorough as I have a bit of tech knowledge. But none the less its been a great installation.

Now its time to play around.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #33 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 06:16 PM
Rookie

My experiance

Hello all,

Finally Telus came around my home to finalize installation of TV and Internet.
I was given scheduled installation time frame between 12PM and 2PM. Installer was on time (12:30PM).

Installation of connections was fine but appeared somewhat hectic.
Installer did not appear to be very knowledgeable about home networking , nor he was able to help much with the attachment of my personal wireless N router. I guess I will have to do some research for this.
I will have to research the possibility of getting a feed from Telus box to my Home Media Theater PC...good know how I will be able to get what I used to have with Shaw (analog line).
I checked my download and upload speeds briefly and they appear to be within levels posted by the other users on this forum. 1HD+1SD I get 7mbps down and 800kbps up. My TV Is connected via HDMI to Telus Box.

Complains that I have so far are:

1. My HD channels are not filling the full screen of my 37" LG HDTV. No matter what combination of adjustments I make on TV and on the Box some of HD channels are not filling up the screen. 16:9.
Installer blamed that on my TV however he was not able to explain how some other HD channels are filling the TV. Installer on the end started arguing with me as to say "you are stupid".

2. Installer was not able to provide me with my Telus email password and user name, nor was I given this information by anybody at Telus customer service when the order was done initially.

I don't know if anybody else in experiencing same issue with TV picture fill. I hope that there might be some solution to this.

Let's hope that their service is little more reliable and stable then their contractor installer (installer constantly repeating that he is "only a contractor", hence he can not provide me with some crucial answers...see problems listed above).

post #34 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 06:30 PM

Looks like you had a poor installer though it looks like the basics were accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukc
1. My HD channels are not filling the full screen of my 37" LG HDTV. No matter what combination of adjustments I make on TV and on the Box some of HD channels are not filling up the screen. 16:9.
Many of Canadian broadcasters don't have HD programming on their HD channels, or only during prime time when they do have HD programming.

I just looked at OTA at 15:26 PDT in Vancouver and only CBC (2.1) and CTV (32.1) was broadcasting a 16:9 show. CBC's (2.1) ads were a 16:9 box within the 16:9 screen.

As for hooking up your HTPC, either run an ethernet cable or get a good PCI wifi adapter. I found the Asus card that works for me though YMMV.

Global (8.1) and CITY (10.1) were broadcasting in 4:3. Omni (42.1) of course only broadcasts 4:3 programming.
post #35 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 09:41 PM

Installation was done yesterday.
I ordered and paid for one PVR and Four STBS,about three weeks ago. On Friday I got a confirmatory phone call stating they would be here between 0800-1700 on Monday and it would take 3-5 hours. They could not give a more specific time.
I took the day off work to ensure there were no mix ups and so I could explain and show, my current set up. At 2:00pm no-one had arrived, I phoned them and was told yes the work order was scheduled but no times could be given. 30 minutes later the installer phoned asking for directions. When he arrived, now almost 3:00pm, he looked dismayed and annoyed that it was actually five installations and not four, which, he thought it was.

He proceeded to do the install (I thought in a rather hurried manner and I also thought he took some short cuts to make the job shorter) He informed me that he could not do the fourth STB because of logistical cabling problems ( I am convinced it is solvable). I helped him do some cable feeds and reluctantly agreed to the situation.
He left with me having to do some clean up and setup of the STBs.
One strange thing is when I asked him to show me some features of the system he seemed set on programming (and showing me how to) the Telus remote so it could operate my TV (something that I have done myself many many times).

Despite this, the system is great and is WAY better then what I had, I will post a brief review in the review thread after a few days of use.
post #36 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salisbury View Post
Installation was done yesterday.
I ordered and paid for one PVR and Four STBS,about three weeks ago. On Friday I got a confirmatory phone call stating they would be here between 0800-1700 on Monday and it would take 3-5 hours. They could not give a more specific time.
I took the day off work to ensure there were no mix ups and so I could explain and show, my current set up. At 2:00pm no-one had arrived, I phoned them and was told yes the work order was scheduled but no times could be given. 30 minutes later the installer phoned asking for directions. When he arrived, now almost 3:00pm, he looked dismayed and annoyed that it was actually five installations and not four, which, he thought it was.

He proceeded to do the install (I thought in a rather hurried manner and I also thought he took some short cuts to make the job shorter) He informed me that he could not do the fourth STB because of logistical cabling problems ( I am convinced it is solvable). I helped him do some cable feeds and reluctantly agreed to the situation.
He left with me having to do some clean up and setup of the STBs.
One strange thing is when I asked him to show me some features of the system he seemed set on programming (and showing me how to) the Telus remote so it could operate my TV (something that I have done myself many many times).

Despite this, the system is great and is WAY better then what I had, I will post a brief review in the review thread after a few days of use.
Sounds like you got a bad technician with poor time-management skills. How long did the entire install take? I'd guess that that last STB could not be installed because the technician had to be somewhere else. Did he leave you with his card? My tech guy did a great job with my installation and showed me all the features when I first got TTV. He even called another guy to come over and help with the non-essential installation (like hiding wires and crap). He left me his card and told me to give him a call if I had any questions. I wish I had the card with me so I could let you know who my tech guy was but to sum it up, he was great. Too bad they can't all be like him.
post #37 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Run cables

If I don't have a CAT5 or coaxial jack near where I want to place the STB/TV, will the installer run a CAT5 cable for me to that location?

The wire will be hidden inside the wall, right? How do they do fish the wires through the walls?
post #38 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana182
If I don't have a CAT5 or coaxial jack near where I want to place the STB/TV, will the installer run a CAT5 cable for me to that location?

The wire will be hidden inside the wall, right? How do they do fish the wires through the walls?
The installer will probably run coaxial as it is more robust (less prone to damage) and use HPNA to connect.

Wires won't be hidden inside the walls. Almost impossible to run the line through the walls (studs at 16' spacing) if it's behind drywall, unless you want to cut lots of holes in the drywall and patch them up.
post #39 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 02:01 PM

But of course if the basement is unfinished, or if the basement has an open (or T-Bar) ceiling, or if there is a crawl space, running hidden wiring is easy. Vinyl siding frequently makes it easy to hide the wires behind the siding ...........
post #40 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies!

My basement is unfinished, so maybe they can run wires up from there!
post #41 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana182 View Post
Thanks for the replies!

My basement is unfinished, so maybe they can run wires up from there!
Yes, that should make it an easy job. And yes the installer will run all the wires that are required.
post #42 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-04-17, 11:40 PM
Rookie

Unhappy Be careful of telus "contractor" information

Had a.m. appointment. "Contractor" showed up on time. Told him I still wanted to keep SD on at least 1 tv as hv it at cabin (home away from home) and will be paying minimum $23/mo until we bump-it up to more channels when we use cabin. Since still paying for SD wanted to keep in case internet goes out (which it does sometimes). Cld tell right away he wasn't interested said it would take double time and cost more. (Huh, installation is free). He was not interested in running any wires just wanted to use all the wires SD put in. Called Telus TechLine, they spoke with Service dept and said they would hv to "cut" SD line to put their's in and I wld hv to call SD hv them put in dedicated line. I'm sure SD wld not hv done this for free! Meantime, sent contractor away saying I wld think about it. Got call from Telus in aft saying sorry there are "no ports avail" and they couldn't do it. Good thing I didn't let him cut my SD line (playoff's that night). To top it off, they cut off my internet service in the morn of the day before service call to "change ports" in the office. Said I wld get my service back in aft of installation - nope - so called they said they had to put in a report to change back to my orig ADSL and it wouldn't be til next day. Called next day at 2 PM they would send technician out tomorrow. He showed up in aft and found out the line was disconnected at the box down the street. 4 days without internet! Why did it take them so long to find out that there was no ports available! If I didn't have SD, I would have had Telus TV put in but with no way to connect to it.
post #43 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-04-18, 11:20 AM

i felt like a codebreaker trying to read that
post #44 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-04-18, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Sorry for confusion - I guess last line says it all...
I will try again when ports become available.
I will expect the unexpected (then everything should go OK)!!
post #45 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 12:50 PM

So, I'm a little confused about how this needs to be set up and I can't get a strait answer from a customer service rep at Telus.

If I have an existing network in my home, can the TTV use that? Or does it need dedicated cat5 (or coax) cables? I have cat5 going to both my TVs, but it's there connected to a switch for other things at the moment (PC, 360, PS3).

So, can the TTV just plug into the switch at each TV?

Tags
ftth , optik , telus , telus tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in