Installation - What to Expect? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temo View Post
No, they don't need access to anything other than your STBs and router.
BS.

many condos/apartments had the POTS splitter installed at the main panel, especially when Enterphones and such are in play.

depending on the wiring setup of the condo, the POTS splitter could be at the panel, and may need to be upgraded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
BS.

many condos/apartments had the POTS splitter installed at the main panel, especially when Enterphones and such are in play.

depending on the wiring setup of the condo, the POTS splitter could be at the panel, and may need to be upgraded.
This would have been done when the tech first installed TTV. For the mediaroom upgrade, the tech swaps out the old STBs, flashes the router (or exchanges if it's an old one) and then remotely upgrades/tests the lines to make sure everything is working.
post #18 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 04:17 PM
Rookie

This may be true. But the first POTS splitter's installed with TTV would not have been the newer ones that support ADSL2+ and VDSL.

post #19 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 05:52 PM

Well.. I have it installed and I must say.. what an amazing install.. only 1 TV so it was very easy.. just plug... and go..

Which leads me to wondering.. as a store manager.. she should be able to actively carry these devices in store just like modems as they are indeed.. really just plug and play..

installer was in and out within 10 minutes.. compared to shaw my net connection did drop.. im doing 9MB without anything running.. and even having the TV on an HD channel.. im still getting 9MB download.. strange..

none the less.. my review shall come in a bit
post #20 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temo View Post
This would have been done when the tech first installed TTV. For the mediaroom upgrade, the tech swaps out the old STBs, flashes the router (or exchanges if it's an old one) and then remotely upgrades/tests the lines to make sure everything is working.
again, BS.

if the original install was any older than about 6 months, it was done with the black Wilcom potsplitter, which does not pass standards for the 19.2meg required for komodo.
post #21 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 11:03 PM
Rookie

So it looks like I may need to obtain access to the utilities room

I've had my TTV installed back in 2007. So I don't think I would have any of the newer equipment mentioned.

thanks for all the replies
post #22 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-04, 10:20 PM
Rookie

**update** telus came by to do the installation. no need to access the utilities room. Thanks all.
post #23 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-11, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Do you know if it's possible to switch the Dlink into bridge mode or DMZ+ mode so I can use my own router to do NAT and it will pass the public IP address through to the downstream device?
post #24 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 10:57 AM
Rookie

Some input needed and what to expect

Hi all,

I am new member to this forum, and reading many posts on it I decided to join.
I have been a long time Shaw Cable customer (Internet since 1999, TV since 1998, and phone since 2006).
After all these years with Shaw I decided to switch to Telus for all my services.
I would like to mention that I was happy with the stability and availability of Shaw systems, however their pricing in last few years was something that (as existing customer) I could not coupe with anymore. Lately their customer service and retentions seem not to care about existing customers. After several calls to Shaw retentions I was fed up with them and decided to switch to Telus.

Now that I'm in the process of switching I would like to ask already existing Telus customers what to expect from Telus.
As for the pricing at least for 1 year I am better of with Telus. (even after 1 year their pricing is around $12 less then equivalent Shaw).

I am supposed to get:

1. Standard Home Phone Package with one calling feature (First 3 months free)
2. High speed Turbo (First month free)
3. Media Room TV with 1 PVR Set Top Box and 1 Regular Box and Watch a lot programming (First month free and 1 year contract only on TV)

First year pricing for this bundle I was quoted $97.16 (including all taxes and fees) after the first year this will go to $133.96

My questions are:

1. How good of a package deal "bang for buck" this is?
2. How does this compare to equivalent Shaw system - quality wise?
3. Why does Telus need to send 2 techs on two different days to work on all of this?
4. How god/flexible is Telus when it comes to re-negotiation with customers?

Thank you very much for all your constructive answers.
post #25 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 05:43 PM

Welcome vukc,

1. I just switched from Shaw Direct (Starchoice) and I get a lot of channels that I didn't get before for $20-30 a month less (CTV Edmonton HD, Global Edmonton HD, numerous other Global/CTV/CityTV HD channels, Vibe, bpm:tv, Loud, Punch, etc) and the quicker turbo speed internet.

Tons of great features like PVR Anywhere, 115 hour capacity PVR, instant channel change, record up to 3 channels at once, 7 day+ guide, series recording, hundreds of VOD's, etc that Shaw Direct did not have.

2. I find the picture quality to be the same as Shaw Direct who is known for a high picture quality.

3. One for iptv one for telephone?? (guessing)

4. I have been with TELUS for 10+ years and think their customer support has been great including re-negotiating pricing.

Hope you make the switch and enjoy the new system.
post #26 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 04:07 PM

I am getting an install next week.

I am of the understanding that the installer will arrive with a modem/router of their own?

I sure hope this will work properly with my wireless and wired components? (MAC, PS3, Xbox360 etc)

I would prefer to keep my current set up if possible. It's working fine.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #27 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 05:35 PM

They will bring a new router and it works perectly with my PS3, iPod Touch and HTC Hero connectivity to my wireless network. I strongly urge you to get the PVR.
post #28 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Smile What equipment to expect?

Hello all,

As somebody who is expecting installation of all 3 services (TV, Internet, and Phone) from Telus, could some of you, who are using Telus services tell me what type of equipment to expect to be installed at my place?
I was told that I'm getting the Media-room TV (I guess that is the latest from Telus) with High-speed Turbo internet.
What type of equipment will be provided/installed in my home? Do I have to watch to get a certain brand or model?
Also does anybody know what type of "wireless home getaway" is being provided by Telus (G or N network)?

Thank you all for your constructive answers.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-03-23 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #29 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 12:45 PM

Install Details

I had my install yesterday. The PVR and set-top box and remotes were all Cisco branded. The Wireless gateway is a D-Link G router.
post #30 of 719 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 10:07 PM

My uncle had his TTV install today. There was a bit of a mess the phone line the installer (LTS - Ledcor tech service contractor) had to clean up. Had to run coax from modem to one STB and use the cable coax from there.

Equipment was the D-Link 3-in-1, SA "a Cisco company" boxes. The installer also provided a D-Link-branded long antenna for the DLink box. Asked for one and he gave me an extra.

Tags
ftth , optik , telus , telus tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in