Watch Optik TV on the Xbox 360 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-02-10, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Watch Optik TV on the Xbox 360

Anyone know if Telus plans to allow XBOX owners to use it as a STB with the new roll out to MediaRoom? I know AT&T plan on allowing U-Verse subscribers to later this year. I am currently with BellTV, but I think this would tip the scales to the point where I would switch to TelusTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-02-10, 06:33 PM

TELUS will first enable the 360 as a Mediaroom set-top -- meaning you can use the 360 to access your PVR content on your TELUS PVR. Not sure if we will get 360 as a full blown STB functionality for awhile here in Canada I could be wrong on that however and providing Microsoft pushes mediaroom to Canadian 360 owners, that might be all that is required for the TELUS end of this (highly doubt it)--- in any case any 360 integration is planned for TELUS -- as to when -- it is not certain -- I'd hope sometime this year from the sounds of things. The footprint of the "new-platform" is very small as it stands so I'd look for TELUS to grow that first before adding anything they haven't already announced to the mix.

Don't Taze Me Bro!
post #3 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 10:59 AM

Watch Optik TV with XBOX 360

While I was looking at the remote recording feature on the Telus site I noticed the following FAQ:

Xbox 360 with Optik TV

It looks like the software for XBOX 360 is ready to go. Since the product hasn't been announced, the reps probably aren't ready for calls. Here is what I found in the FAQ:
Quote:
I want to connect Optik TV on my new Xbox 360, what do I need to do?
Call TELUS at 310-MYTV to set up an appointment to have a TELUS technician come to your home to install the required software and configure your Xbox 360 for the service.
No idea on the cost for the software and installation

post #4 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 11:41 AM

Would there be any particular advantages to using an xbox in this fashion? Disadvantages?

I am planning a Telus TV install in September and am trying to decide whether to use an Xbox as a STB
post #5 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 12:37 PM

The only advantages I can see are cost and clutter. If you already have an XBOX 360, there's one less box to buy and hook up to your TV, etc. I think an XBOX 360 will just emulate a standalone STB.

Disadvantage would be more hours of use on the XBOX.

It probably comes down to the difference in cost.
post #6 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Noooo! I just bought a PS3!!!

Oh well... Maybe I'll go out to add an Xbox360 to the mix. Can't see the wife saying no as she'll be able to watch her recorded shows on the projector.

I'm hoping Windows7 Media Center is next.
post #7 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 02:06 PM

Here's the details

-launched today, probably minimal advertising at the moment.
-get a free xbox slim if you're a new internet customer who signs up for 2 years, otherwise you will supply your own xbox.
-Xboxes acquired via the internet promo are property of the customer
-getting a free one from the internet promo doesn't force you to use it as an STB, you can opt for to use the Cisco boxes as usual.
-normal install price will be $50 to cover cable, remote, cd, but will be waived for the launch during new TTV installs.
-Existing TTV customers who want to use an xbox as an STB, either replacing a 330 or adding a new TV will have to put in a change order at a flat rate of $100
-$5 per month licensing fee, rental credits for terms do not cover this
-requires xbox live silver or gold account, so modded/banned xboxes will not work.
-xbox must be wired with ethernet or HCNA (officially. It may work fine wirelessly if you move it, but techs will hardwire them.)
-It cannot be used as a PVR and it cannot be your only STB. It will essentially act as a 330, and is able to set and view recordings on the 430.
-It must have a hard drive, so the arcade version will not work

We're the first company in North America to enable this, as far as I know second in the world.
post #8 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the info. Here's a quick cost comparison:

Buy an HD digital box for $150
Rent an HD digital box for $10/month
License Xbox 360 software for $5/month

The Xbox support is now listed on the Promos/Equipment page.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-08-04 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Corrected purchase price - thanks i6s1
post #9 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 03:19 PM

It's $150 right now to buy a 330. I know the official regular price is higher, but $150 seems to be one of these indefinite promotions.
post #10 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 03:36 PM

I called this morning and have my Xbox360 Optik install booked for Aug 10. It sounds like Telus provides, the software, Xbox360 Remote and any AV cables as required.

Its sounds like a cool feature, but its a little disappointing that there is a $5 a month charge...

EDIT: Sorry I don't think I provided enough information on my original post. I already have Telus Optik TV and I already have an Xbox 360, I'm just having Telus come activate the Xbox 360 on my current Optik account.

I'm on a month to month as well. j0ly let us know how you make out with retentions regarding adding the Xbox360 to your account. I could use one in the bedroom...
post #11 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 04:45 PM

Wow... FML... So i just had the service installed in june (my Optik) and called last week to add internet on.. i called in to see if i could get the free xbox as i was on a M2M plan for the internet and was told i couldnt... retentions said they dont have the program in place...

oh well, they did say to call back in a week or two... i6s1, can you help a brother out?
post #12 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 05:58 PM

Sorry, there's nothing I can do about something like that.
post #13 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 06:10 PM

no worries... thanks man... I'll phone retentions in a couple of weeks!
post #14 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 07:55 PM

The story in the Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...900/story.html
post #15 of 320 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 12:49 AM

This comment in the article seems a little far fetched to me...

“The Xbox 360 enables graphics for games, and we said to Microsoft that since you can do all that, why can’t you use it as a set top box too. Why not put some of that muscle into the TV side,” said Ibrahim Gedeon, chief technology officer for Telus. Edmonton is the base for IP (Internet protocol) TV for Telus... Telus originally worked with a U.S. phone company, and Microsoft agreed to re-engineer its Xbox"

I'm pretty sure Microsoft thought of using an Xbox as a STB long before Telus started offering Mediaroom as a IPTV platform.

Tags
optik , xbox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in