Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Best diy indoor antenna to get ota?

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ljhavener 
#1 ·
Am uncertain about best type of indoor antenna to use to get ota.

I live in apartment building, and can not put up a outdoor
antenna.

I think the only good spot for a indoor antenna is my east
window.

There are several other buildings around mine.

I think the only way is to get a bounced off signal from one of these buildings.

Here is /www.rabbitears.info on my reception area.
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=72192

The weak stations I wish to get: KFVS-TV(channel 11), and KBSI(channel 36).

Usable height in my east window is 55 inches high. Usable width is 39 inches wide.

Do you think I need a vhf 3 element yagi to get kfvs-tv(channel 11).

What diy indoor antenna is best to get these channels?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would try a simple double bay Gray-Hoverman (DBGH) antenna (no reflector) made out of a thin gauge wire such as #14 taken from common 14/2 house wiring. Simply form the elements and tape them to the windows with a clear, easy to remove, UV resistant tape such as "magic" household tape. Since these are VHF channels, adding NARODs will help. The advantages to this antenna are low cost and very low profile.

Apartment buildings, especially high rises with steel and concrete construction, present issues. Any window not facing the general direction of the station will suffer from signal attenuation and severe multipath. You may get lucky and get a good reflection. It may take some trial and error to find a good spot on the window.

#3 ·
Hi Lassar
Lets get as much information from you as possible. Have you tried any antennas, and do you get any reception of these? Let us know what antennas you have tried, and what results you got. Do you know what your building is built of? How much of your building will blocks your apartment from the direction of the stations that your interested in? Are there other buildings that might block the signal from that direction? How important are aesthetics? Do you want to receive both stations with one antenna, or are you willing to have two antennas? What other stations are you interested in receiving?
Attempting to receive a station based on reflections from other buildings will be tricky? The more information that we have will help finding a solution.

#5 ·
Using m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com plan for 4bay antenna without reflector.

(4 bay antenna the 9 1/2" whisker bowtie with 9" bay spacing)

The walls in the building is made of drywall.

The building blocks my apartment from the direction of the stations that I am interested in.

Aesthetics is not important.

I prefer to receive both stations with one antenna, but am willing to use to two antennas.

This antenna sometimes gets KFVS-TV(channel 11).

The only other weak station I am interested in is 6‑1 (32) WPSD-TV.

It comes in more often than KFVS-TV(channel 11).

I am using Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 USB tuner.

#9 ·
DBGH antenna is almost 8 foot tall(96"). Some Single Bay Gray Hoverman antennas are narrow enough to fit in your window. You will have to find a version, that has a narrow enough reflector. Many of nikiml's models have reflectors and narods closer to 48". nikiml's antenna page is now at nikiml's Antenna pages. Have you tried your current antenna in other locations in your apartment? I actually get better reception through my apartment walls, than my windows. Also try other orientations for your antenna. See what direction it works best.

#10 ·
#13 · (Edited)
What do you think it's better than "Top Hat Gray Hoverman?"

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/186-antenna-research-development/121956-top-hat-gh-narods-vhf-hi-major-gh-improvement.html

How do I get the dimensions of one of these gray hovermans?
You go to this page which has the GH10 (rev2) in your link above:
Gray-Hoverman GH10n with NARODs for UHF/VHF-hi
nikiml's Antenna pages - GH10n UHF/VHF-hi combo antenna

How to use the interactive charts and models
nikiml's Antenna pages - How to use

The NAROD spacing is usually, but not always, about 6 mm.

The wire is stated to be 1/4 inch diameter aluminum, about 6 mm.
The radius is stated to be 0.003175 m = 3.175 mm.
So, SY narod_surf_spacing=0.006 (6 mm) is the actual space between the NAROD and the UHF element.
SY narod_spacing=0.012 (12 mm) is the center to center spacing.

If you must use wire smaller in diameter than 1/4 inch as in the model, keep the surface spacing at 6 mm. That spacing is critical. It forms the coupling between the NARODs and the UHF element to transfer the VHF signals. If the antenna that you build is not the same as the model, its performance will not be the same.

OK?

#12 ·
Lasser
Nikiml's page has a number of Gray Hoverman antennas, that might work. This one nikiml's Antenna pages - GH2n3 UHF/VHF-hi combo antenna looks like it will fit within your window. I took a screen shot that shows this antenna displayed on Nikiml's site.

Page shows the antenna, stats about it, and dimensions. The black box shows the coordinates of one node of the antenna. If you go to the web page, you can select an antenna element and see it's length, or select a node and see x, y, and z coordinates. First select IN or CM to get measurements in inches or centimeters. Then select the element or node. Node coordinates are easy to understand, once you see that the x, y, and z, coordinates are separated by a comma. Remember that these measurements are to the exact center of the elements and nodes. Actual measurements may be slightly different, depending on the thickness of the material, that you use to build the antenna. 3D view can be zoomed, and rotated, to make it easier to understand. This may all make sense for some people, but others may do better with different types of diagrams and instructions, that you can find at other sites. Others use 4nec2 software and the model files, that you often see in posts, to model their antenna. This software will show you statistics and display 2d and 3d models of your antenna. You can get lengths and coordinates of parts. This software also allows you to see what affect any changes to your antenna might have, as well as the reception pattern of different antenna. This is valuable information, once you begin to understand it. It is often overwhelming for beginners, so it might be better to consider an established antenna design. https://imageevent.com/holl_ands site is a great resource for antenna designs, that you might consider. It has information on a large number of antenna designs, and some basic dimensions. All of his designs include models, that can be rendered in 4nec2. This way you can get exact dimension for these antennas. Ask questions, if any of this information does not make sense, or if you need help getting dimensions.

#14 ·
Decided against using a reflector

Tried putting a reflector on my 4 bay bow tie. and it made the reception worst.

Is there a gray hoverman without reflector, that gets good hi-vhf?

I have been looking over the UHF FF6 Vertical 6 Bay Bow tie - NO Refl.

https://imageevent.com/holl_ands/multibay/uhfvertical6baybowtienorefl

Looks fairly good.

It will give me better hi-vhf then my 4 bay whiskers. About 6 db.

Will a hoverman without reflector give me more hi-vhf than the vertical 6 Bay bow tie?

#15 ·
Hi Lassar
Before you installed a reflector, to your 4bay, it was capable of receiving a signal from either side and had a pretty wide reception pattern. Depending on the reflector design, it may or may not improve your antenna, at the required frequency. Assuming that it works at channel 11 frequency, the reflector will increase the signal, only from the side opposite the reflector. It also makes the reception pattern much narrower. Did you try aiming the antenna in different directions, while you had the reflector on it. You might even try moving it to the center of the room, and testing it at all 360 degrees. You may find that you were actually getting your signal through your building, directly from the transmitter, instead of a reflected signal through the window. This may be the reason that the reflector lowered the signal. ------- If you want to try a reflectorless Gray-Hoverman, check out nikiml's Antenna pages - GH0n UHF/VHF-hi combo antenna. It gets almost 7db gain at channel 11. It has a lower SWR figure at channel 11, than the 6 bay antenna, so it might be a better choice.

#16 ·
Decided on using the NEW UHF FF6 No Refl

I have decided to use UHF FF6 Vertical 6-Bay Bowtie - NO Refl

https://imageevent.com/holl_ands/multibay/uhfvertical6baybowtienorefl

UHF Raw Gain = 11.0 to 14.5 dBi and SWR (300-ohms) under 2.9.
Hi-VHF Raw Gain = -4.2 to 5.8 to 5.5 dBi and SWR (300-ohms) = 21 to 3.1

I think figured out how to re-scale this antenna for max gain at 605 mhz.

How do I get a DB per frequency graph in 4nec?

Also how do I get the swr, and Azimuthal Pattern graphs?

#17 · (Edited)
Hi Lasser
Can you post the .nec file that you are going to use, including your scaling? I'm somewhat new to this as well, so there may be better ways to do things, than what I use. You can post your .nec file by opening it in a Text editor. Select the entire file, and select "copy". Then switch to this site. At the bottom, below the quick reply window, select "Go Advanced". At the top of the window, select the "#" icon, and it will add two "CODE" symbols to your reply. Put the cursor between the two brackets, between the two "code]". Right button on mouse to bring up menu. Select "paste" should insert your .nec file between the two bracketed "code]"'s. Select "Preview Post", from below window, will show you what your post will look like, before you "submit Reply". It will be easier to see what you are working with, if we can see your .nec file.
I think figured out how to re-scale this antenna for max gain at 605 mhz.
It looks like the UHF FF6 Vertical 6-Bay Bowtie - NO Refl antenna might be a good choice. I may be doing things the hard way, but I've found that scaling the .nec file with the "custom factor" function isn't always the best way. It will scale the size of the elements, as well as the dimensions, and this can affect the results. Maybe someone else can tell us how they scale antennas. What I've found that works for me, is to create a Scale factor variable, and adding it to each variable, in the geometry page. I don't add the scale factor variable to the radius column, so my elements retain their dimensions. When I scaled the UHF FF6 Vertical 6-Bay Bowtie - NO Refl antenna, it found that the SWR became excessive. Narrowing the "FeedSep" feed line separation seems to help.
How do I get a DB per frequency graph in 4nec?

Also how do I get the swr, and Azimuthal Pattern graphs?
I'm going to include a .nec file, of my first attempt to scale the FF6 antenna. I don't understand all of the variables in the .nec file, but I've learned that the code near the bottom, after the "LD" line affect the display of SWR, Gain, and impedance. Try running my .nec file, and it should bring up a "line chart" window. In the upper right corner, you can select SWR, Gain, or impedance charts. I also get a window that displays the horizontal reception pattern. Select that window, and use the right and left arrows to move through the different frequencies, that you slected in the freq/ground window in the editor. You will also need to learn how the adjust the AGT. When you select run nec, it brings up the generate window. Select "far field pattern". Set the Freq. to the frequency that you are interested in. For a UHF/Hi-VHF antenna, I check at 198mhz and 534mhz(approx half way across each band), and then set it to a number half way between the two results. Then select "expert settings. Then check "Run Average Gain Test" and "Generate" and "OK". When the results come back, look at the left side of the "Main" window, for the AGT result. It should be as close to 1.0 as possible. Most .nec files use a symbol/variable "Rsrc" that affects AGT. Slowly increase the Rsrc variable to increase the AGT and decrease the Rsrc to lower the AGT. The closer the AGT number is to 1.0, the more acurate your Gain results will be.

Code:
CM UHF Free-Form Super-6-Bay,  NO Refl, 4nec2 by holl_ands, 11Dec2014
CM BowLength=vrbl, BowSpacing=vrbl, TineSep=vrbl (AWG10 Elements), Hop=1.0-in.
CM NO Reflector.  FeedSep=vrbl (AWG10).  Ready for Python Optimization, 12 VARIABLES.
CM Top & Bottom HOPs are Mirror Images.  PYTHONSEG(13), AGT=1.0, NO Errors or Warnings.
CM 
CM D--OPT -s(470,12,22) -t(12,15) --swr-target=2.7
CM D--OPT --target-function=(4*max_ml+16*max_gain_diff)/20
CM D--OPT --auto-segmentation=13 --char-impedance=300 --num-cores=7
CM D--EVAL --auto-segmentation=13 --char-impedance=300 --num-cores=7
CM D--EVAL -s(174,6,8) -s(470,12,29) --publish
CM  SOURCE Wire Radius, Adjusted for AGT=1.0: UHF=0.0173, HiVHF=0.0159
CM  Radius (in inches) of BOWTIE elements:
CM  Radius (in inches) of FEEDLINE wires
CM  Separation at Crossover
CM  Conductivity (Copper=3.0e7, Alum=2.0e7, StainlessSteel=1.67e7)
CM 
CM  Distance between the centers of the two INNER bowties:
CM  From center of INNER bowtie to center of OUTER bowtie:
CM  From center of OUTER bowtie to center of EXTERIOR bowtie:
CM  INNER Bow Whisker Length (lose some in bend):
CM  OUTER Bow Whisker Length (lose some in bend):
CM  EXTERIOR Bow Whisker Length (lose some in bend):
CM  INNER Bow Forward Sweep distance at tip of the whisker:
CM  OUTER Bow Forward Sweep distance at tip of the whisker:
CM  EXTERIOR Bow Forward Sweep distance at tip of the whisker:
CM  INNER Bow Tine Separation:
CM  OUTER Bow Tine Separation:
CM  EXTERIOR Bow Tine Separation:
CM  Separation between two FEEDLINE wires:  [CONSTRAINT: TRY ALL THE SAME.]
CM  From center of Feedline Cross-Over to center of OUTER Bowtie:
CM  From center of Feedline Cross-Over to center of EXTERIOR Bowtie:
CM  Bowtie Separation in FRONT of Reflector (which is at X=0):  [NOT USED HERE]
CM 
CM  Calculated from above INPUT Values:
CM 
CM   #	segs	X1	  	 Y1		 Z1   X2	     Y2	   Z2	radius
CM  SIMULATED SOURCE WIRE:
CM  INNER BOWTIES:
CM  OUTER BOWTIES:
CM  EXTERIOR BOWTIES:
CM  OUTER CROSS-OVER FEEDLINES:
CM  EXTERIOR CROSS-OVER FEEDLINES:
CM  INNER FEEDLINES:
CM 
CM 
CM  FR Freq Sweep choices in order of increasing calculation time (fm holl_ands):
CM  FR 0 0 0 0 470 0		
CM  FR 0 39 0 0 470 6		
CM  FR 0 77 0 0 470 3		
CM  FR 0 153 0 0 470 1.5	
CM  FR 0 71 0 0 300 10	
CM  FR Hi-VHF choices:
CM  FR 0 15 0 0 174 3		
CM  FR 0 29 0 0 174 1.5	
CM  FR 0 43 0 0 174 1		
CM  FR 0 26 0 0 150 6		
CM  FR Lo-VHF choices:
CM  FR 0 19 0 0 54 3		
CM  FR 0 35 0 0 54 1		
CM  FR 0 36 0 0 75 1		
CM  RP choices in order of increasing calculation time:
CM  RP 0 1 1 1510 90 0 1 1 0 0	
CM  RP 0 1 37 1510 90 0 1 5 0 0 	
CM  RP 0 73 1 1510 90 0 5 1 0 0 	
CM  RP 0 73 73 1510 90 0 5 5 0 0 	
CM  RP 0 285 73 1510 90 0 5 5 0 0	
CE
SY Scale=1.15
SY sc=Scale
SY Rsrc=0.041	'Rsrc(200)=0.042             Rsrc(533)=0.04
SY Rbow=0.051
SY Rfeed=0.051
SY Hop=1.0
SY Cond=3e+07
SY ZBowII=13.07315	'7, 40
SY ZBowOI=11.1262	'7, 40
SY ZBowOE=9.019928	'7, 40
SY BowLeni=11.63122	'7, 40
SY BowLeno=7.710528	'7, 40
SY BowLenE=7.818797	'7, 40
SY BowSwpi=0
SY BowSwpo=0
SY BowSwpE=0
SY TineSepi=7.569343	'2, 10
SY TineSepo=5.604077	'2, 10
SY TineSepE=3.572662	'2, 10
SY FeedSep=1.227	'1.227
SY ZCross=2.182639	'1.25, 6
SY ZCrossE=3.010845	'1.25, 6
SY RS=0.0
SY ZBowInr=ZBowII/2	'Distance from antenna center to center of INNER bowtie
SY ZBowOut=ZBowII/2+ZBowOI	'Distance from antenna center to center of OUTER bowtie
SY ZBowExt=ZBowII/2+ZBowOI+ZBowOE	'From antenna center to center of EXTERIOR bowtie
SY Z1=ZBowOut+TineSepo/2
SY Z2=ZBowOut
SY Z3=ZBowOut-TineSepo/2
SY Z4=ZBowOut-ZCross+0.875
SY Z5=ZBowOut-ZCross
SY Z6=ZBowOut-ZCross-0.875
SY Z7=ZBowInr+TineSepi/2
SY Z8=ZBowInr
SY Z9=ZBowInr-TineSepi/2
SY Z11=ZBowExt+TineSepE/2
SY Z12=ZBowExt
SY Z13=ZBowExt+-TineSepE/2
SY Z14=ZBowExt-ZCrossE+0.875
SY Z15=ZBowExt-ZCrossE
SY Z16=ZBowExt-ZCrossE-0.875
SY YBowInr=FeedSep/2+(BowLeni^2-(TineSepi/2)^2-BowSwpi^2)^0.5	'Ymax for Inner Bowties
SY YBowOut=FeedSep/2+(BowLeno^2-(TineSepo/2)^2-BowSwpo^2)^0.5	'Ymax for Outer Bowties
SY YBowExt=FeedSep/2+(BowLenE^2-(TineSepE/2)^2-BowSwpE^2)^0.5	'Ymax for Exterior Bowties
GW	1	3	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	0	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	0	Rsrc
GW	2	12	(BowSwpi+RS)*sc	(YBowInr)*sc	Z7*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z8*sc	Rbow
GW	3	12	(BowSwpi+RS)*sc	(YBowInr)*sc	Z9*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z8*sc	Rbow
GW	4	12	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z8*sc	(BowSwpi+RS)*sc	(-YBowInr)*sc	Z7*sc	Rbow
GW	5	12	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z8*sc	(BowSwpi+RS)*sc	(-YBowInr)*sc	Z9*sc	Rbow
GW	6	12	(BowSwpi+RS)*sc	(YBowInr)*sc	-Z7*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z8*sc	Rbow
GW	7	12	(BowSwpi+RS)*sc	(YBowInr)*sc	-Z9*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z8*sc	Rbow
GW	8	12	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z8*sc	(BowSwpi+RS)*sc	(-YBowInr)*sc	-Z7*sc	Rbow
GW	9	12	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z8*sc	(BowSwpi+RS)*sc	(-YBowInr)*sc	-Z9*sc	Rbow
GW	10	8	(BowSwpo+RS)*sc	(YBowOut)*sc	Z1*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z2*sc	Rbow
GW	11	8	(BowSwpo+RS)*sc	(YBowOut)*sc	Z3*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z2*sc	Rbow
GW	12	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z2*sc	(BowSwpo+RS)*sc	(-YBowOut)*sc	Z1*sc	Rbow
GW	13	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z2*sc	(BowSwpo+RS)*sc	(-YBowOut)*sc	Z3*sc	Rbow
GW	14	8	(BowSwpo+RS)*sc	(YBowOut)*sc	-Z1*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z2*sc	Rbow
GW	15	8	(BowSwpo+RS)*sc	(YBowOut)*sc	-Z3*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z2*sc	Rbow
GW	16	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z2*sc	(BowSwpo+RS)*sc	(-YBowOut)*sc	-Z1*sc	Rbow
GW	17	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z2*sc	(BowSwpo+RS)*sc	(-YBowOut)*sc	-Z3*sc	Rbow
GW	40	8	(BowSwpE+RS)*sc	(YBowExt)*sc	Z11*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z12*sc	Rbow
GW	41	8	(BowSwpE+RS)*sc	(YBowExt)*sc	Z13*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z12*sc	Rbow
GW	42	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z12*sc	(BowSwpE+RS)*sc	(-YBowExt)*sc	Z11*sc	Rbow
GW	43	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z12*sc	(BowSwpE+RS)*sc	(-YBowExt)*sc	Z13*sc	Rbow
GW	44	8	(BowSwpE+RS)*sc	(YBowExt)*sc	-Z11*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z12*sc	Rbow
GW	45	8	(BowSwpE+RS)*sc	(YBowExt)*sc	-Z13*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z12*sc	Rbow
GW	46	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z12*sc	(BowSwpE+RS)*sc	(-YBowExt)*sc	-Z11*sc	Rbow
GW	47	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z12*sc	(BowSwpE+RS)*sc	(-YBowExt)*sc	-Z13*sc	Rbow
GW	18	1	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z2*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z4*sc	Rfeed
GW	19	1	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z2*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z4*sc	Rfeed
GW	20	8	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z6*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z8*sc	Rfeed
GW	21	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z6*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z8*sc	Rfeed
GW	22	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z6*sc	(Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	Z5*sc	Rfeed
GW	23	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z4*sc	(Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	Z5*sc	Rfeed
GW	24	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z6*sc	(-Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	Z5*sc	Rfeed
GW	25	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z4*sc	(-Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	Z5*sc	Rfeed
GW	26	1	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z2*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z4*sc	Rfeed
GW	27	1	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z2*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z4*sc	Rfeed
GW	28	8	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z6*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z8*sc	Rfeed
GW	29	8	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z6*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z8*sc	Rfeed
GW	30	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z6*sc	(-Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	-Z5*sc	Rfeed
GW	31	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z4*sc	(-Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	-Z5*sc	Rfeed
GW	32	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z6*sc	(Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	-Z5*sc	Rfeed
GW	33	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z4*sc	(Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	-Z5*sc	Rfeed
GW	48	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z12*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z14*sc	Rfeed
GW	49	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z12*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z14*sc	Rfeed
GW	50	5	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z16*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z2*sc	Rfeed
GW	51	5	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z16*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z2*sc	Rfeed
GW	52	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z16*sc	(Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	Z15*sc	Rfeed
GW	53	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z14*sc	(Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	Z15*sc	Rfeed
GW	54	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z16*sc	(-Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	Z15*sc	Rfeed
GW	55	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z14*sc	(-Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	Z15*sc	Rfeed
GW	56	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z12*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z14*sc	Rfeed
GW	57	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z12*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z14*sc	Rfeed
GW	58	5	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z16*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z2*sc	Rfeed
GW	59	5	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z16*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z2*sc	Rfeed
GW	60	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z16*sc	(-Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	-Z15*sc	Rfeed
GW	61	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z14*sc	(-Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	-Z15*sc	Rfeed
GW	62	2	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z16*sc	(Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	-Z15*sc	Rfeed
GW	63	2	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z14*sc	(Hop/2+RS)*sc	0	-Z15*sc	Rfeed
GW	34	7	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	Z8*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	0	Rfeed
GW	35	7	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	Z8*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	0	Rfeed
GW	36	7	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z8*sc	RS*sc	(FeedSep/2)*sc	0	Rfeed
GW	37	7	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	-Z8*sc	RS*sc	(-FeedSep/2)*sc	0	Rfeed
GS	0	0	0.0254
GE	0
LD	5	0	0	0	Cond	'Conductivity
GN	-1
EK
EX	0	1	2	0	1	0	0	'SOURCE on GW1
FR	0	38	0	0	174	12
RP	0	1	73	1510	90	0	1	5	0	0
EN
You can see, in the Symbols, that I rescaled the antenna by 1.15. This moves the max gain closer to 606mhz. As you can see, I narrowed the feed seperation, and this lowered the SWR considerably. Let me know if your able to generate results in 4nec2.. I'll try to look at your .nec file, if you can post it. Maybe some of the experts can give us both some suggestions.

Lawrence

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.