Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

QICT - bend or elbows or ?

843 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jflarin 
#1 ·
I'm about to build a GH6n3 antenna and plan on using QICT. On some spare tubing I've tested bending it to 90 degree angles using various radii. With a small radius the tubing tends to crack on the inner crease.

My question is, is it better to...?
(a) let the tubing crack and keep the radius small
(b) keep the radius large enough to not crack
(c) solder 1/4" copper elbows
(d) use 4ga solid copper for the bent elements [ 0.21" o.d. rather than 0.25" - about the same price for me ]

Some background on my situation: I'm read the forum for a while, but haven't posted before. I live in eastern CT (USA). I plan to use an antenna in the attic looking through the gable end. All the fringe stations are at 58 degrees from my house, the gable aims at about 45 degrees so the antenna will look through sheath and siding rather than shingles. The roof peak is over 40' above ground level on that end.

My rabbitears report [ https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=32263 ]. Using a crude 4-bay UHF bowtie without reflector I get actual channels 17, 9 and occasional 25 - the top three on the rabbitears report. Ideally I'd like to get actual channels 17, 9, 25, 7, 12, 24 - so a mix of UHF and VHF-Hi.

I have two HDHomeRun Extend tuners. My initial intention was to have a 91XG UHF antenna routed to one tuner and Holl_ands Hi-VHF 4-bay routed to the other. Then I realized the Hi-VHF antenna reflectors were 120" x 80", not 60" x 40" like the description implied. A bit too big for an attic antenna.

Then I saw the GH6n3, it seems to be great at UHF and decent at VHF-Hi. I enjoy building things, and have built a few antennas over the years. I really enjoyed the forum and all the excellent information found here.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.