What do you think of the "best" CNET reviewedAntenna? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-10, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

What do you think of the "best" CNET reviewedAntenna?

Best indoor antenna reviewed by CNET is this one: Channel Master Flatenna 35.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tv-an...tters-in-2019/

But, how does it compare with similar sized antennas on this site?
Schoolbus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-11, 04:04 AM

they have differency only in design of plastic cover (shape/colour/surface texture)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-11, 03:14 PM
Veteran

It looks like a basic indoor craptenna(tm). The amplifier is the only thing that saves it from being a complete dud. It's a good deal if you happen to live in NY, NJ or other urban locations with nearby stations. I commend Channel Master for selling for US$10. At that price, it's cheaper than coat hangers and a cheap preamp.
Yurii Pylypenko likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-11, 03:54 PM

Retail price at local shop $3.5 (+$0.75 for good preamp with ferrite balun or passive PCB balun) incl taxes (20% VAT)

Retail price at local shop $8 (+$0.75 for good preamp with ferrite balun or passive PCB balun) incl taxes (20% VAT)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-28, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

It would hang nicely in a window out of the way though.
schoolbus
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-28, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
It looks like a basic indoor craptenna(tm). The amplifier is the only thing that saves it from being a complete dud. It's a good deal if you happen to live in NY, NJ or other urban locations with nearby stations. I commend Channel Master for selling for US$10. At that price, it's cheaper than coat hangers and a cheap preamp.
I don't see any amplifier on the subject Channel Master. What gives you that impression?
The reason it was reported as working so well, is very likely the fact that it doesn't include any such amplifier.
They did their testing in Manhattan (dense urban), and New Jersey (presumably to cover suburban).
Those morphologys probably cover close to 100% of people who might actually be reading a CNET article.

I agree with schoolbus, any antenna that can hang in a window is quite often all that someone needs to receive what they wanna receive.
Caveat being window in question better be made of clear glass, and not modern UV resistant glass. If it is UV glass, one would probably be
better off hanging it on an outer concrete wall than in a modern energy efficient UV glass window.
If I get bored some day, might get one just to compare to my home made bi quad that sits in my living room window, next to the santa decorations.

It would be interesting if someone doing these so called reviews, also did a tear down of each antenna reviewed to eyeball their designs.

edit:
Question their test method, 'cause if ya look at their table of channels available in each market, vs the channels they received, they look kinda light to me.. or maybe I just don't understand what they are getting at with "No of watchable channels (out of 13) "

On the home made biquad (nikiml no-reflector) in my living room window for example here, I receive 44 of the 47 available local channels.
The only ones missing are the 3 channels on rf 15 which is low power and co-channel with Hamilton, ON.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-28, 01:06 PM
Veteran

I counted wrong, should have been 41 of available 44 channels... Ignoring the 2 local VHF RF channels also...
This is the weakest signal here mentioned, that I don't count as usable...
RF 15 co-channel with CHCH Hamilton, ON. Rabbit73 will be happy that the signal strength is reported as
dBuV in the Kaffeine application on linux. For tuners who's kernel drivers are reporting in the DVBV5 API stats format.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-28, 03:05 PM
Veteran

@majortom , You are correct. There is no amplifier in that model. The only reason it works so well is due to powerful local signals. Many of those stations will be on top of the Empire State Building. Having a 1,454 foot broadcast tower is a definite advantage for broadcasters.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-29, 03:25 PM

A little of topic I suppose, but I don't know where else to mention it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
Rabbit73 will be happy that the signal strength is reported as
dBuV in the Kaffeine application on linux. For tuners who's kernel drivers are reporting in the DVBV5 API stats format.
I'm happy (and surprised) to see that as well. I use Kaffiene, but I've often been frustrated by the fact that I only see a % for signal strength and SNR, using either my FusionHDTV PCI card or Hauppauge 950Q USB device. What tuner are you using?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-29, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurii Pylypenko View Post
Retail price at local shop $3.5 (+$0.75 for good preamp with ferrite balun or passive PCB balun) incl taxes (20% VAT)

Retail price at local shop $8 (+$0.75 for good preamp with ferrite balun or passive PCB balun) incl taxes (20% VAT)
Things are quite a bit different over here. Local stores don't have much to offer, plus prices are about eight times higher.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-29, 04:20 PM
Veteran

Hi Neil,

Read this, post 312, 313, 314 and 317...
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-...ml#post3059937
You can get your 950q reporting in dBm via dvbv5 api stats using UDL's kernel.

Here is my 950q in kaffeine:
The other snapshot was from the mohu a681 usb tuner, which isn't supported at all in
the mainline linux kernel.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-11-29, 05:23 PM

Oh, OK. Funny thing, I have been using Kaffeine an XFCE distro and Mint KDE, but today I installed KDE Neon to try out, and low and behold, Kaffeine is showing SNR in dB from my FusionHDTV tuner. Signal strength box is empty though, which doesn't bother me because SNR is more useful measure of how solid the signal will be anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in