Having problems setting up 6141HD reciever - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-18, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Having problems setting up 6141HD reciever

Hello, I am having problems setting up my 6141HD reciever. I think I have read just about every thread on this site and I still haven't come across someone having the same problem that I am having. I set my dish up and found a signal for 91 (about 86%) with the skew set for my location. Next I hooked up the 82 LNBF and it doesn't show any signal on the TV but I am showing a signal on the satellite finder. Next I did a check switch hoping the reciever would find the signal while doing the check. No luck. Now that I did the check switch it is saying that I am missing the even transponders on satellite 91. I was wondering if it could be the switch gone or am I doing something else wrong? If it might be the switch is there a way to test them? I hope someone could help, I have been trying to fix this since July without disrupting the family's TV too much. I think they have lost faith in my abilities.lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-18, 05:31 PM
Rookie

I would start by running directly from the 91 LNBF to the 6141. Run a check switch. This will verify that the LNBF etc are all good.

Then switch over at the Dish to the 82 LNBF, run the Check Switch again.

Is it possible that you are getting 91 signals from the 82 LNBF.?

Let us know how it all goes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-18, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

I have tried to go from the 91 LNBF directly to the 6141 without the switch and tried doing a check switch and nothing has changed. Actually sometimes it says that there is no signal at all and I have to go and disconnect the cables and then reconnect and then it shows some signal strength again. It also shows X's under 91.

I am pretty sure that the way that everything is set up I should have the LNBF's pointed at the right satellites but at this point I don't know, I may be wrong.

I am also wondering about the switches they seem to quit working after a couple of check switches could this be possible?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-18, 09:02 PM
Rookie

The Dish should be setup without switches. Hopefuly that was what you were doing.

If there are signal problems coming and going, then start back at the basics, check all the connectors.

If this is your first receiver, or you first HD receiver why not get Bell to do the installation.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-19, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I have been doing the installation without the switch without any luck. I have tried so many check switches with ones that don't seem to work I was wondering if it is possible that the reciever is a bit "confused". Is there a way to a hard reset besides the one on the front on/off button. I would like to start fresh on that end because I have checked all of the connections and everything seems to be fine. Also a Bell tech isn't really an option because they are about 3 hours away from my location and I don't think that they will come out.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-19, 03:38 PM
Rookie

If you remove all inputs and run a check switch, it will revert the receiver back to it's "virgin" state.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-19, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks I will try that this evening and let you know how things went.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-20, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I tried a check switch test without any inputs and then did another check switch test with it reconnected and now everything is working normally again. Thanks again for the advice. This afternoon I'll try to see if it will show a signal for satellite 82. Which transponder is the best one to look for the signal on 82? I have read that some of them are dead transponders.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-20, 11:27 AM
Rookie

I believe they are all working now.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-22, 08:37 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Your problems (losing all odd or all even transponders and having to "unplug" to get signal back) are very typical of cabling/connector issues.

Although you have things running now for 91, it sounds to me like you have either a short in a cable somewhere or a bad/poorly installed connector that is causing you additional grief.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-09-25, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice dosborne, I am having troubles with some transponders going down again even when the reciever is showing everything is okay with 91. This problem didn't start until I moved my dish and added an older cable on to reach to the new spot. I think I will buy a new cable and see if that helps. I think I had to repair the end on the old one which probably didn't work. Still looking for some time to try and find satellite 82. Busy busy at work.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-02-24, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Just an update, finally watching HD TV thanks to a friend. We had to move the satellite dish to another spot, looked like the trees were still in the way. Have both satellites locked but only getting up to 61% on some transponders and only 45% on others. Going to try and tweak the signal again once it warms up.

Tags
installation , satellite tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in