The DPP44 switch - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-01, 07:09 PM

Sorry, yes SW44.

I missed a detail. I do not want to run any more cables into my house. WAF is low, and everything is sealed up, so I have to get by with just two feeds from dish into house, hence my discussion of the DPP44. I want to use my 9200 in dual tuner ode )pic in pic, etc) and use the current RG6 which drives our second TV via IR remote to send signal to a new HD box (a 4242 IIRC,) already purchased. Hope this clarifies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 08:11 AM
Rookie

In that case you just need a DPP Twin LNBF & 1 or 2 DPP Seperators.
post #123 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
In that case you just need a DPP Twin LNBF & 1 or 2 DPP Seperators.
In other words, he doesn't even need the DPP44 switch - just the DPP Twin lnb and one separator for the 9200. He can always get the DPP44 later if he gets more receivers.

post #124 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 07:13 PM
Rookie

Yep, pretty sure that was what I said......

If the second receiver is the 9242, he will need 2 x seperators. No requirement at this stage for any other equipment at all.
post #125 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-04, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxtwit View Post
In other words, he doesn't even need the DPP44 switch - just the DPP Twin lnb and one separator for the 9200. He can always get the DPP44 later if he gets more receivers.
I will have two receivers, the 9200 and the 6131 (sorry, got it wrong in my first post). Currently using just the 9200 in dual TV mode, to feed signals to two TV's. I bought a 6131 HD tuner and want to operate it using the existing two cables coming into the house, AND have use of the dual tuner function on the 9200.

So, I will have one wire from each of the LNB's on the roof coming into the house. I cannot bring two more wires into the house, period, so I have to distribute signal from the two wires to a dual tuner and a single tuner HD box. For this I think I need a DPP44 to accomplish my goals.

Apologies if I am poorly describing the situation. I tried googling the suggestion above, but I don't think that allows me to add the 6131 to the system and get signal to the second TV.
post #126 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-04, 10:28 PM
Rookie

If you get the DPP Twin LNBF, it has 2 outputs, each will have signal from BOTh birds.

Take 1 on the inputs off the 9200, add a DPP Seperator and then attach the 2 subsequent lines to the 2 inputs of the 9200. The other line that was the second input to the 9200, connect that to the line currently attached to the TV2 output of the 9200, using a barrel connector (F81). The other end of this line can them be attached to the 6131's input.

Should be pretty clean installation with no extra holes etc.
post #127 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-05, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

dufferdan,

Please see this thread for the DPP twin lnb as it work fine for the two receivers you have.
post #128 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-06, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
dufferdan,

Please see this thread for the DPP twin lnb as it work fine for the two receivers you have.
THAT looks like the ticket. Thanks PINZA. Apologies for being a dolt, this stuff really confuses me.

Can I get the DPP twin lnd in Canada, or do I go to the US for it. Looks like this is a cheaper solution that a DPP44 anyways.

Also, I assume I climb up to the dish, disconnect the existing wires, remove the LNBF, replace with the new one, attach the new LNBF, connect RG6 cable. THEN, input the separator ahead of the 9200 (no power inserter I assume) and connect the other RG6 with the barrel connector to the second sat wire.

Will everything just work as it does now on the 9200, or will there be any re-setup issues? Will Bell know I have changes the setup without a visit to my home? Also, I assume I am in Dutch if bell comes out since I am renting equipment. Or will they even care?

Thanks guys, I think a light is going on.
post #129 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-08, 08:37 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
Will everything just work as it does now on the 9200, or will there be any re-setup issues?
Run the "Check Switch". That's all.
Quote:
Will Bell know I have changes the setup without a visit to my home?
No.
Quote:
Also, I assume I am in Dutch if bell comes out since I am renting equipment. Or will they even care?
Only if it turns out your equipemnt is faulty. They won't have spare parts. Otherwise, they won't care.
post #130 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-14, 08:11 AM
Rookie

Hi, having some issues with DPP twin and single 6141 receiver. In Muskoka and a long run with 2 cables to dish on a tower as ridge behind property. 2 and 3 sections of cable as not able to do in single run - used high quality outdoor quad shield; with good compression fittings. Receiver can see satellites with single cable run to 6141 but only on "odd" numbered transponders and not able to get a picture, strengths of about 55% on 91 and 73% on 82. Check switch etc. doesn't help - looks like not "locking on" and shows an "X" in checkswitch report for transponder under Port 1 and Port 2 and "reception Error" under status. Will try outdoors close to tower later but lack equipment to do now. From what I've read it's my distance (possibly cabling/connections of course as well) that's the issue.

My question is whether a DPP44 would help especially if I mount it with power close to the tower (I have an electrical panel near tower and power at the junction halfway as well)? The rest of the run to house would then presumably act like indoor wiring usually does. Happy to buy the switch if I know it will solve the problem.

Thanks

Mark
post #131 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-14, 08:48 AM
Rookie

I would doubt you would see a difference with ading a DPP44 switch, if any.

Your signal levels are low, so I would be looking at the Cable/Connectors and especially the barrel connectors (F81's), it may well be that these are not able to pass the higher frequency signals, they need to be 2Ghz ones.

Could you also give us a footage of the distance involved. Good quality RG6 should be fine upto 400', even more.

Other options might include larger Dish's or RG11 Cable.
post #132 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-14, 09:17 AM
Rookie

Probably close to 400' distance, would need to measure it off. The connectors are just generic gold coloured ones, plus indoors (and outside temporarily) it's a Hubbell silver coloured jack insert. I can shorten the cables somewhat as there was extra left after construction. "Ideal" Home Depot compression fittings. Will look for better connectors and try again next weekend. Thanks for the quick advice!

Where's a good source for high quality barrels (and different compression fittings if you think i'll help, I have a full set of Paladin tools for the install).
post #133 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-14, 09:21 AM
Veteran

Dishpro equipment is only rated for 200 ft. max You may want to try Belden 1694A RG6 and Snap and Seal connectors. They have about the lowest loss. I would run one continuous line.
post #134 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-14, 09:56 AM
Rookie

Good point about Dish Pro.

At least with Legacy you could add an in-line amplifier too.
post #135 of 381 (permalink) Old 2009-06-15, 11:13 PM

with very long cable runs the switch may not be able to read the commands from the receivers to do the switching. i would recommend the switch be at most 200' from the receivers, approximately in the middle of your 400' run. if that's not possible, put the switch closer to the receivers and use line amplifiers near the dish that have slope compensation to correct for more loss at the higher frequencies.
you may have to measure the voltage in line with the cable at the lnb to make sure you haven't lost too much in the cable between switch, amplifier and lnb. you should have at least 12 volts at the lnb. some satellite meters can measure the voltage and current in line with everything running.

Tags
dpp , dpp44 , separator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in