The DishPro Plus (DPP) twin lnb - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-08, 03:56 PM

Using only one output on DPP Twin?

I'm a single-receiver-only guy. I recently retired my 5100 with a 9241. The 5100 was fed by a single line running from a Legacy Quad LNB to the receiver.

For the 9241, I just this morning replaced the Legacy Quad with a DPP Twin, and added a DPP Separator at the back of the receiver to feed the two inputs on the 9241. After doing a check switch, everything seemed fine on the receiver.

During the install, for reasons of arm length out my second-floor window, and finger-tolerance in sub-zero temps, I was unable to get the RG6 cable to screw into Output #1 on the DPP Twin, and so instead put it on Output #2.

Are these two outputs identical, so in the case of only using one output, it doesn't matter? Or is the system going to get confused down the road if Output #1 isn't being used?

It should also be noted I had to swing the dish around 180 Deg to access the LNB from the window. So - for signal readings after the install - most tps on 91 were 2-3% lower after putting the DPP on, while those on 82 were the same or even slightly higher. So, while I was disappointed to lose readings of 98-100 on 91, I'm assuming this result is acceptable for a change of LNB, and trying to realign the dish more isn't really going to buy anything. Presumably the numbers on 91 will hold up ok while the slightly-higher numbers on 82 are a bonus as a result of the new LNB, esp given they are low anyway as a result of my location?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-08, 04:59 PM
Rookie

You can use either output of the DPP Twin, it does not matter, they are both going to give you 91 & 82.

Those signal levels should be fine.
post #78 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 06:44 PM

Are you sure about that Pinza? I've been told that the dual-tuner receiver has to be hooked into #1 on the LNB.... although I forget the exact reasoning for it now. Personally, I've never noticed a difference, I was just doing what I was told lol.

post #79 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 07:46 PM
Rookie

I just tried with a temp set-up here and a 9200 works and test just fine on either Output port. Don't forget that you can connect 2 x Dual Tuner Receivers up by using both ports, so I cannot see any reason for what you say. Still I wil leave my 9200 on Port #2, see if I get any error messages.
post #80 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 08:08 PM

Like I said, I've never noticed a difference. I'm just going by what my office has told us. I don't think we were really given a reason, it was just more of "The dual-tuner receiver has to be on #1". Either way, it's not really a big deal, it's just a matter of toning out the proper line to be hooked into #1, but if I can eliminate a pointless step in an install, I'm all for it!
post #81 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 08:24 PM
Rookie

What if you have 2 x Dual Tuners.?
post #82 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 08:29 PM

I think it's more for if there's only 1 dual-tuner, or 1 dual-tuner and 1 single-tuner hooked up, that it has to be on #1. Obviously if there's 2 dual-tuner receivers hooked up one of them is going to be hooked up to #1

I just can't wait for the DPP quad LNB
post #83 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 09:18 PM
Rookie

I second that comment.....lol

Although at the moment I am happy to supply DPP44's that I buy myself.....lol
post #84 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 02:14 PM

Sorry if this has already been asked on the previous pages, but can an OTA antenna be connected to the "input" connector on a DPP34?
post #85 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 04:33 PM
Rookie

No, the inputs of the DPP34 are for LNBF's only.

You would have to use Diplexers to get OTA Signals into the system.
post #86 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
No, the inputs of the DPP34 are for LNBF's only.

You would have to use Diplexers to get OTA Signals into the system.
Thx for the prompt reply, Pinza. So am I correct in assuming the diplexers would have to be placed at the dish (i.e. OTA antenna feed and one of the DPP34 feeds "diplexed" into a single cable) and the other BEFORE the switch (i.e. the combined signals in the single cable would have to be "undiplexed" to separate the SAT and OTA signals before the combined signal hits the (in my case) DPP44). Put another way, can a combined SAT and OTA signal pass through a switch like a DPP44 so that it can be "undiplexed" at the STB?
post #87 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 07:09 PM

DPP 44, DPP 34, etc

The only switches I know that OTA/Cable can pass through are the ones that have OTA inputs on them like the 3x4, 5x8 type of multiswitches.
SW44 will not pass OTA/Cable frequencies, and diplexers must be on the receiver side of the SW44. I once used a diplexer at the dish, then again at the SW44, jumped the switch and back into a diplexer.
Here are some diagrams of the way to wire DPP 34, DPP 44 and DPP Twin with diplexers from dishnetwork.
DPP 34 http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...onexample3.pdf
DPP 44 http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...nExample12.pdf
DPP Twin http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...onExample8.pdf

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #88 of 179 (permalink) Old 2010-12-16, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
I just tried with a temp set-up here and a 9200 works and test just fine on either Output port. Don't forget that you can connect 2 x Dual Tuner Receivers up by using both ports, so I cannot see any reason for what you say. Still I will leave my 9200 on Port #2, see if I get any error messages.
Thanks guys.

I didn't check this forum for a bit - but for what its worth, my 9241 has been operating fine since I put the DPP Twin on the Dish, hooked up to Port #2. I haven't gone looking for error messages in SysInfo screens, but its recorded everything on the list and not given any pop-up errors or anything. Its been nearly 10 days now that its been hooked up like that.
post #89 of 179 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 05:20 PM
Rookie

we have two cables coming from our satellite to our house (i think it is a DPP twin LNB). the lines are connected to a he grb-2dhr (ground block). from here we have 2 6131 receivers connected. we are looking at adding a third 6131 receiver but i'm not sure how to do it. can we connect a sw44 switch to it? if so what should the connection look like?
post #90 of 179 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 07:20 PM
Rookie

NO. The SW44 is legacy, so it cannot be used after a DPP LNBF. To add a 6131 as a 3rd receiver I would suggest a DPP44 Switch, or possibly a DPP 34, the advantage of the DPP44 is that you could swap the 6131 for a 9241/9242 with the addition of a DPP Separator and no additional wiring.
If you do not intent to ever get a Dual Tuner HD PVR, the DP34 is the cheaper alternative.

Tags
dpp , dpp twin , separator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in