The DishPro Plus (DPP) twin lnb - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-11-13, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

careh,

How long is the wire lead sticking out from the end of the connector? If it is not sticking out about 1/8" or 3mm I would put a new connector on with the wire sticking out and give it another try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-11-13, 09:30 PM
Rookie

Hi 'Q',

The copper lead is a good 1/4" out of the connector. This is new RG-6 wire I installed last fall. When I do connect the '3 prong electrical plug' 3100 receiver it is showing 100% on sat. 82 for the signal strength.

Then I plug in the '2 prong electrical plug' receiver and ZERO signal strength!!

I kinda figure the '2 prong electrical plug' 3100 receivers are too 'old' for the DPPlus. They work fine with SW-21 switches coming off a regular pair of LNB's. The '2 prong electrical plug' 3100's were bought new in 2003.

Last edited by careh; 2008-11-13 at 10:06 PM.
post #33 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-11-14, 09:55 AM

If you don't mind spending more money, put a DPP44 switch in the mix. It allows legacy receivers to work regardless of what else is connected since it has its own power supply.

I believe that a legacy receiver should work when directly connected to a DPP LNB, but, you need to have at least one DPP-capable receiver also hooked up in order to provide power for the LNB. Perhaps that's your problem - the old 3100 isn't providing enough power on its own.

post #34 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-11-14, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Hi - no I would not want to spend the $$$ on the DPP44 nor the hassle of hooking it up outside in winter around here.

I'll just dump the 2 older 3100's on eBay and get a newer unit - like a SD-PVR as I know they work correctly with the DPPlus.

The other existing receiver on the second lead coming in from the DPPlus is a 6200 PVR - running through a DPPlus Seperator -that unit is powering the LNB.

We can just leave this as it is not a burning issue now that I have the one newer 3100 working on the DPPlus.

Others who experience a similar 3100 issue in the future can see these posts & know what will and will not work with the DPPlus.

Thanks to all of you for your help.
post #35 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-11-15, 01:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
the hassle of hooking it up outside in winter around here.
If you already have 2 lines running into the House there should be no reason to even venture outside to install a DPP44.....

I like your idea of selling the 2 x 3100's and getting a 5900, then you can also sell the 3100 and I am sure that will almost have paid for the 5900 in full.
post #36 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 09:50 AM

I have both 2 prong and 3 prong 3100s plugged into a DPP LNB and they both work fine. There must be something else wrong. Have you swapped receivers and gotten the same results?

I have never seen a 3100 without a DP symbol on it. Check the back of the two receivers for the DP logo.
post #37 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 05:41 PM
Rookie

I agree, there is another underlying issue here.
post #38 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 08:36 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Sounds like a ground / ground loop issue.
post #39 of 179 (permalink) Old 2009-06-07, 03:06 PM

copied from the DPP44 thread as it applies to function of DPP twin LNB

Originally Posted by Q
Quote:
dufferdan,

Please see this thread for the DPP twin lnb as it work fine for the two receivers you have.
THAT looks like the ticket. Thanks PINZA. Apologies for being a dolt, this stuff really confuses me.
Can I get the DPP twin lnd in Canada, or do I go to the US for it. Looks like this is a cheaper solution that a DPP44 anyways.

Also, I assume I climb up to the dish, disconnect the existing wires, remove the LNBF, replace with the new one, attach the new LNBF, connect RG6 cable. THEN, input the separator ahead of the 9200 (no power inserter I assume) and connect the other RG6 with the barrel connector to the second sat wire. I found an installation PDF online, so that may answer my question, however the discssion is about DISH network satellites.

Will everything just work as it does now on the 9200, or will there be any re-setup issues?
Will Bell know I have changes the setup without a visit to my home? Also, I assume I am in Dutch if bell comes out since I am renting equipment. Or will they even care?

The install discussion for the DPP twin LNB in the PDF says that the unit is set for the two DISH satellites at 119* and 140*. If I install this unit on my Bell dish, I assume my Bell dish is properly aimed at the Bell satellites. Will this piece of hardware simply pick up the Bell signals without any re-aiming?

Thanks guys, I think a light is going on.
post #40 of 179 (permalink) Old 2009-06-08, 02:05 AM

if the cable is grounded like it should be, the cable between the receiver and ground block could have an open shield connection. the receiver with a ground prong is then able to make the connection through the power line ground, bypassing the shield wire of the cable, and work that way. a receiver without a ground wire wouldn't be able to get power down the cable that has an open shield. if you have a voltmeter you could check and see if you have at least 13 volts at the end of the cable away from the receiver. if there's no voltage there, common problems are, the wrong type of connector on the cable, old or weathered cable or a sharp bend that cracked the aluminum foil shield, a staple or nail in the cable, too long a cable or it's resistance is too high. to check for resistance with a volt/ohm meter, strip the insulation back on one end of the cable long enough to wrap the center wire around the outside shield and then measure the resistance at the other end of the cable. it should be less than 1 ohm.
post #41 of 179 (permalink) Old 2009-06-08, 08:21 AM
Veteran

dufferdan,

Buy the DPP twin on ebay. Take off your existing LNB(s). Install the DPP twin. Attach the separator to the back of the 9200. Run one line to it and one to your other receiver. Do a check switch for both.

Both the 82 and 91 satellites should come in.
post #42 of 179 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 12:29 PM

Reading all the threads for an hour or so and still find it difficult to get a simple answer to my question: Can a DishPro Plus Twin be used with a DishPro 44 multi-switch or only with a DishPro Plus 44 multi-switch? I know it is not compatible with Dish Pro 34 switch. Thanks.
post #43 of 179 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 12:49 PM
Rookie

I am not aware of a DP44 switch.

The DPP Twin LNBF will work just fine with a DPP44 switch giving all the benefits of DPP.

Connect the DPP Twin to a DP34 (and I guess a DP44) will result in the outputs of those switch's becoming DP and not DPP outputs.

Hope that helps.
post #44 of 179 (permalink) Old 2009-10-15, 11:15 AM

Sorry ....checked again and it is a SW44 switch. Life is just too complicated.
post #45 of 179 (permalink) Old 2009-10-15, 11:24 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay649 View Post
Sorry ....checked again and it is a SW44 switch. Life is just too complicated.
You cannot use Dish Pro/Plus equipment in line with Bell's standard SW44 switch.

Tags
dpp , dpp twin , separator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in