Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
640K views 3K replies 503 participants last post by  17671 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57 - here's a link for the various LNBFs:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2346993-post1783.html

92XX series installation:

92XX/94XX Installation 101 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Having read the topics of attaining satellite 82 after receiving satellite 91 the consensus seemed to be to find a strong signal on 91 then using your skew to find satellite 82. I have tried for five days between work (no luck). I have got 82 but lost 91 in the process. Anyway is there anyone who has been thru the same problems and how to attain Sat 91 and 82 at the same time. If so is it possible as a scenario to state something like yes we had Sat 91 then moved the Skew 14 degrees clockwise or something. I think this would be more informative than to just move your skew and hope you luck out.

Thanks,

EnC:confused:

#2 ·
This is how I set up several satellites with no problems:

- Set up the skew angle to the desired setting (on the back of the dish, you should have two nuts that you can loosen and twist the dish to the skew angle setting indicated in your manual).
- Only use one LNB (91 degree) and ensure that you have it installed on the correct side of the y adapter.
- Tune into the 91 degree satellite (use transponder 11 for this) ... you should get very close to 100% strenght depending where you live.

Once the above is done, all you should have to do is install the second LNB and you should have the 82 bird. You may have to do a little fine tuning, but nothing major.

The most common error I have seen is thinking you are tuning into one satellite with the wrong LNB. By using only one LNB at a time and ensuring it is installed in the correct position, you should eliminate this potential problem.

I also strongly suggest marking each of your cables so that you know which cable is coming into your house from which LNB. You will need to know this when wiring your SW44.

I hope this helps. I have installed several systems this way and have never had any issues (unless there is an object in the way blocking the satellite signal). Good luck.

Kevin

#3 ·
Hi Kevin;

I live in northern B.C (Tumbler Ridge), I don't know if that has anything to do with the signal. The best I can get seems to be 86 % for Sat 91. When I did get 82 the best I could get was 82%. Still I could not get both at the same time. Roghly how many degrees do you adjust your skew( yes I know the skew has two nots on each end). I will try again this A.M. we are expecting 10 cm of snow today I better hurry.

Thanks EnC

#4 ·
Roghly how many degrees do you adjust your skew
Your skew adjustment should be set around 69 degrees. What I would strongly suggest is that you set the skew adjustment first, then using only the 91 degree LNB, find the satellite. If your skew is set properly, all you should have to do is install the 82 degree LNB and you should have both satellites. You may have to do some small adjustments, but both should be there.

Also, I would suggest that you set up the dish by connecting directly to the receiver and not through the switch yet. Make sure your receiver is set on transponder 11 when checking for a signal (I use transponder 11 for both satellites when setting up).

Living in Northern BC, you probably will not get 100% signal strength. Different transponders will give you different signal strenghts, as will different receivers. Just tune in transponder 11 to the highest you can get it and you should be fine. Once you have it set up, you can check different transponders and you should have some higher and some lower. As long as the lowest one isn't any lower than about 65-70%, you should be okay.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Kevin

#5 ·
I have been talking to some people who say that in the Toronto area, adjusting skew is not really required.

The reason I bring this up is because I have a dish that does not skew. Because of this I either have to 1) upgrade my dish or 2) use another "trick" to establish signal from 82.

Are these sources accurate in saying I can get around this problem of a dish with no skew?

#7 ·
I have been talking to some people who say that in the Toronto area, adjusting skew is not really required.
You will need to set the skew with a dual LNB dish to get the best signal. It will work without setting the skew but signals will be considerably weaker. The skew setting is small and not very sensitive near central Canada so "tweaking" for peak signal is not usually necessary.

#8 ·
Odd TP's not working on 91*... but they did

I installed the dish last week. It worked perfectly for 4 days. Has dual LNB with SW21 to a 6100 reciever.
Constantly fiddling and doing switch checks but still get this...

1 1 2 2
X 91 82 82
X + - +

All connections tight, no moisture. already tried unplugging reciever. Already tried removing smart card. ALL cords are RG6, and there is only 9ft of it.

I checked all the threads and tried all the suggestions but still nothing... PLEASE HELP! I BEGGETH YOU.

#9 ·
I had the same issue could not get the odds on one sat. All looked fine with the cables. I changed the connections at the dish tnen, had all transponders. Don't ask me why but, it made a difference.
Also, a friend had a problem in that he only had one sat. He changed lnbs he changed the switch. Ended up fine tuning the signal with a in-line sat finder and got both birds no problem. Since you only have 9 ft of RG6 to change, may want to try that. Even though all connections appear ok ?

#10 ·
Power everything off and unplug all power sources. Wait for a few minutes and try again. If this doesn't work, try unplugging your satellite feed to your 6100 while it's on. Wait for a moment, then attached it once again. Wait for the connection to complete. Then do a check switch. Any luck? If this doesn't work and you didn't change anything, it could be your LMB (the one which isn't giving you the signal).

#11 · (Edited)
RG6 new.

There is no need to change the RG6 Cabling... it is ALL brand spanking new. The connections are all SOLID, I used a wrench to make sure (even with the connections to the LMB's - but to be sure, what do you mean by you "changed the connections at the dish"? - quote from probak118). I have yet to try unplugging the connection while the unit is on (suggestion from Itldevl - but it cannot be a bad TP because the EVEN transponders work perfectly fine), I will try that when i get home from work today at 5MT.

BUT there is one thing that we have been questioning... directly above (as in within 6 feet) my dish there is a flood light that lights a parking lot. I have not been able to try my TV while the light is off but is there some possible way that the light is affecting my reception?? Maybe the light is making the LMB tips not transparent enough for them to pick up a signal? I doubt that this is the issue but might as well ask. (and no, the light is not directly infront of my dish. It is above it.)

#12 ·
I removed the connectors from the RG6 cable ends and installed new compression fitting type f connectors. If powering off and check switch etc... does not solve the problem. Do you know anyone who has the same type equipment. Switch the receiver then the lnb,switch etc...until the problem goes away. If it doesn't, is it a cable issue then ? Try to eliminate one piece at a time that may be the problem.

#15 ·
Can you split the cable to 2 receivers?

ok, Ive searched the forums, and got confused.

I have 1 dish. 2 cables. 1 cable goes downstairs, one cable goes upstairs. THERE in the walls, since the basement and other walls have been redone, so no cable is shown.

What i need, is 2 receivers in the basement.

From what ive seen/read on the forums from searching, will a DPP Separator work for what i want? So i can control 2 different receivers, on different channels?

OR

What if i get a SW44, and just hook it up in the house with 1 cable going in, *NO HD used here*

So 1 cable from dish into switch, will it alow me to use 2 cables from the switch to control 2 receivers with 2 different channels?

Im sorry if this has been answered, but i search and didn't find a straight answer, i had seen a guy with 5 receivers he wanted to add, but couldn't find that post with searching :(

pls help. tnx

#223 ·
ok, Ive searched the forums, and got confused.

I have 1 dish. 2 cables. 1 cable goes downstairs, one cable goes upstairs. THERE in the walls, since the basement and other walls have been redone, so no cable is shown.

What i need, is 2 receivers in the basement.

From what ive seen/read on the forums from searching, will a DPP Separator work for what i want? So i can control 2 different receivers, on different channels?

OR

What if i get a SW44, and just hook it up in the house with 1 cable going in, *NO HD used here*

So 1 cable from dish into switch, will it alow me to use 2 cables from the switch to control 2 receivers with 2 different channels?

Im sorry if this has been answered, but i search and didn't find a straight answer, i had seen a guy with 5 receivers he wanted to add, but couldn't find that post with searching :(

pls help. tnx
I had purchased the new 9242 istalled it correctly as to the instructions, checked connections a numerous amounts of times, have the power inserter and power supplied in the port one feed, four cables going to switch from lnbf's four cables to sw44 switch, grounded in the attic, four cables coming out of switch, 2 cables to 9242, and the other to cables going to 2 3100's in the bedrooms, yet everytime i turn on my reciever it cannot detect a switch, nor can i get any signal, i have found a small silver connection that came with the system. Now i have two questions...1st...What is the connection for and what am i doing wrong with the switch

#18 ·
Install Question

I currently have a 9200. This is hooked up to my HDTV in the basement via HDMI and then via a coax to the upstairs tv.

I am looking at replacing the upstairs tv with an HDTV. I am planning on purchasing a 6100 for basic HD viewing but would also like to keep the access to the 9200. (my wife likes to watch her recorded shows on the other tv)

Sounds simple enough but I would like to avoid running another cable. I already have a third satellite feed to the tv downstairs that I don't need. Is there a way to combine the signal from the dish (sw44) and the output from the 9200? Once upstairs seperate I would then seperate the output from the 9200 into the tv and the one from the sat dish to the 6100?

Does this make sense? Is this possible? I know this would be very easy with cable tv just not sure how this would work with a dish.

Basically can the output from the 9200 (standard analogue signal), and a signal from a dish run over the same cable?

Thanks in advance...

#22 ·
Installing Bell Dish 81/92

Hi long time not on the site, just busy with stuff. Happy New Year to all!!!!!!! Need some help with installing the dish, please. I have dish 500 with dual lnb and build in switch sw21. Can someone please tell me .........can this dish unit be used to get Bell Expressvu 82 sat and 91 sat? Also, what would be the proper settings. I got 91 with some playing around but just can't get 82. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. O, yes the tilt was around 36` and the turn - I don't know the proper term was at 90`. Still I got 91sat not 82sat. I thought once you have 91sat ( 82sat is a given since it has the dual lnb and built in switch 21 ). I don't know gave up HELP PLEASE!!!!!:(

#23 ·
kgroz,
when you say dual LNB, do you mean it is meant for 2 satelites, or is it a single pickup with dual outputs?
Usually, when you get 91 only, its coming from the pickup that should be getting 82. you have to move alignment slightly east till you get 82 and then you get 91 on the other pickup.
Good luck.

#24 ·
BEV HD... are the cables from the dish different??

Hi! I am currently on rogers via a winback, however I am redoing my recroom and seeing as I already have the dish on my roof I thought it would be a good idea to run the wires for BEV just in case I decide to switch back. I had a 2700 receiver that I traded in and I still have the wires run from the dish to my tv. I was wondering if A) the HD dish is different, meaning I'd have to install a new one to get the HD and B) if the wires from the dish to the receiver are different from the standard ones I used with my 2700?? I want to makes sure that I have the right wires in place before I put up my new ceiling. Thanks

#25 ·
Yes and no.

Technically the wire used to run to the 2700 would be the same with an HD receiver. However that would require a switch to be installed at the dish, and would limit you with regards to what you put in for an HD receiver.

If you are thinking of running wires before closing in an area; I would run 4 RG6 cables at a minimum; in fact if it's a relatively short run I would be tempted to run 6 RG6 cables just in case Bell ends up doing something funky with new satellites.

#27 ·
Where to aim my dish?

i just bought a new dish for my bev some one stoled my last one that was screwed to the side of my house.The new ones high up on my roof.So can someone Please tell me the way to point the dish (SW):confused:
i have a 30$ satellite finder that takes 10 batters.im just north of toronto
:p
thanks