Installation Questions - See Links in Post 1. - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-03-22, 10:06 PM

My suggestion would be to get rid of all switches and connect directly to each LNB and lock in your signal. Once your signal is locked in and the receiver has updated its software, then I would add in the switch. Don't forget to run a check switch as well at this point.

If you are using a SW21 outside, why are you using one inside as well? The SW21 combines the two signals (82 and 91) into one to feed one receiver only. If you need to hook up two receivers, you will have to run two more lines from your dish, into another SW21, and then feed a second receiver (or possibly look at using a SW44 as well if you are going to add more receivers and/or PVR receivers as you will need more feeds).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-03-22, 10:21 PM

OK, let's back up a step. When you are standing behind the dish, the skew adjustment should place the lnb on the right side slightly higher than the one on the left. ie. the skew should be counter-clockwise. Is that the case in your setup?
post #48 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-03-22, 10:23 PM

Trial and Error... and error...

I went on the roof and disconnected the 82deg on and only left the 91deg on - and the receiver said - 97% on wrong sat ( 82 ).

I checked both LNBs so I know they are working! ... I don't have another female/female connector (had one that I used in my basement) so I am stuck using a switch - at least until tomorrow.

Yes - standing behind the dish and looking at the LNBs the 82deg (on the right) is slightly higher...

..is it possible that I have the 91 adjusted to 82 and I need to bring the dish up 9 degrees??

Last edited by TheOak; 2007-03-22 at 10:31 PM.

post #49 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-03-22, 10:46 PM

If you have the LNB on the correct side of the Y adapter and you are picking up the 82 satellite then yes, you will have to adjust your dish. By moving the dish about 9 degrees to the right, you should pick up some signal from the 91 satellite (you may have to adjust the elevation as well, depending where you live).

Keep trying to get the 91 satellite. Once you find it, you will automatically have the 82 satellite as well, provided that you have the dish skewed correctly. Also, make sure that the post is perfectly plum. This is the most important step in setting up your dish.

Good luck.
post #50 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-03-23, 12:37 AM

Thanks all for the help - I got 91 and with a checkswitch 82was there as well :-)

I never added the angle of my roof to the elevation so I was off by quite a bit and with trial and error a nice 93% on 91deg Trans 11.

Ah... finally!
post #51 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-07, 10:28 PM

Same problem, no 91..losing my mind

So I've been having alot of problems lately. I had to move my dish, thought it would be easy as I knew where to point it, but it wasn't. I can't get 91 back. My signal strength meter on the tv wasn't working either. I spent four hours panning back and forth, up and down and all over with not a hint of any satellite. I had bypassed the switch, unplugged and replugged everything with no result. Finally feeling defeated I pointed it in the direction I thought it should be with the previous coordinates from where it was mounted before and then ran a check switch. The meter on the tv was showing 0 signal on 91 and 82. WHen I ran a check switch, miraculously 82 shows up at 91%. Problem is now I can't find 91. I've moved the dish up, down and side to side, all that happens is I lose the 82 signal. When I cover up the 91 LNBF with tinfoil I lose any signal, when I cover the 82 LNBF I still get a signal on 82. So my 82 Sat is comin in through the 91 LNBF. All the wires are connected properly to the sw44. The mast is straight and square. The 91 is on the right and the 82 on the left when looking at the front of the dish reading "bell expressvu". I'm at a loss...loosing my mind, my patience and everything else. How can I find the 91? If I put it 91 on the tv, it just shows 82 sat strenght and says wrong sat. How do i get the 82 to come through the 82 LNBF and find the 91!?

My receiver is a 9200. Everything was working before the move. The dish is on the roof with a clear unobstructed view.

Please help before I shoot my dish!

Shaun
Stuck in Oxford House Manitoba
post #52 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 12:03 AM

fixed it up with a little help from someone who knows what they are doing and their sat finder.
post #53 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-11, 11:27 AM

Chances of hitting 82 and 91 in Vancouver

Hello all,

Newbie gettin' frustrated with increasing bills from Shaw and looking to make the switch to ExpressVu. Used to have ExpressVu back in Ontario but moving to VanCity and into an low-rise (second story) apartment facing north-east right down near English Bay surrounded by a concrete jungle meant no possible way of ever hitting a satellite. But! Moving at the end of the month to a high-rise which is allowing us to install dishes. However, I still face north-east. So. What do you think my chances are of hitting 82 and 91 in a north-east facing balcony with a completely unobstructed "sky" view in the north-west and south-east directions? Facing directly north-east am I going to be on angle enough to hit 81 and 92? Thoughts anyone?
post #54 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-12, 09:27 PM

9200 Install

I live in Edmonton, AB. I am using one TV and one 9200 Receiver. I adjusted the skew and elevation to the specs in the manual and got 82% on 91 with one LNB. I was only using one coax cable into the house and it kept losing the signal. I hooked up the second cable (both connected to the same LNB) and checked the signal and it went do to 64%. I messed with the dish to get a better signal and now i can't get anything.

1. Do i need to buy a SW21 seperately?
2. When and if i ever do find a signal again....and install the second LNB- then will i need to use all the connectors on both LNB's (4 coax cables coming out)?
post #55 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-15, 10:33 PM

A 9200 should always be installed via an SW44 switch, it is, or should be supplied when the receiver is new.

You need to connect all four feeds, 2 from 91 & 2 from 82 into the switch, then run 2 line to the 9200.

Remember to install the Power Inserter on the cable feeding from Port #1 on the SW44.

I know that SW21's have been used and with much success, but if Bells software changes and it no longer supports the SW21 you will need to change them.

Oh, sorry, if using the SW21's you DO need all 4 cables just the same as using the SW44.

Nimiq 1
post #56 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-15, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckers View Post
Hello all,

Newbie gettin' frustrated with increasing bills from Shaw and looking to make the switch to ExpressVu. Used to have ExpressVu back in Ontario but moving to VanCity and into an low-rise (second story) apartment facing north-east right down near English Bay surrounded by a concrete jungle meant no possible way of ever hitting a satellite. But! Moving at the end of the month to a high-rise which is allowing us to install dishes. However, I still face north-east. So. What do you think my chances are of hitting 82 and 91 in a north-east facing balcony with a completely unobstructed "sky" view in the north-west and south-east directions? Facing directly north-east am I going to be on angle enough to hit 81 and 92? Thoughts anyone?
None.

See if there is a vacant apartment facing South West.

Or someone who also wants Bell in the South West corner of the building, then find a way to route the RG6 from his apartment to yours.......

Nimiq 1
post #57 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 09:32 AM

Thank you Nimiq1
post #58 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 09:58 AM
kam

Install Questions

I currently have two recievers (5100 & 5900) running on one dish getting 91 only. I'm getting a 9200 installed this week and am planning to mothball the 5100 for the time being (or sell it) .

When BEV does the install, will they put up a new dish or just change the LNBs? Will they connect my existing 5900 from it (presumably 82&91)? Can I insist that the sw44 (?) switch is installed inside the house or is this generally how its done?

Will I have the option of keeping the existing dish up, in case I want to hook up additional recievers (I got a 3100 collecting dust somewhere)? I ask this, in case, in the future I decide to get a second 9200 and want more than 2 9200s (though highly unlikely).

Lots of questions! Thanks in advance....

[Can't wait for TSN & Sportsnet HD!]
post #59 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 12:20 PM

Hi Kam,

Well indeed lots of questions lets see if I can answer them all for you.

Quote:
When BEV does the install, will they put up a new dish or just change the LNBs?
If you have a 20" Dish with a "Y" yolk, they could just add the second LNBF.

Quote:
Will they connect my existing 5900 from it (presumably 82&91)?
Yes, it will be connected as well, getting both 82 & 91 signals.

[QUOTE][Can I insist that the sw44 (?) switch is installed inside the house or is this generally how its done?
/QUOTE]

No you can't insist it is placed indoors as the Technician only gets paid for installing 2 lines to the 9200. However, if the 9200 is going in the same place as the 5100 is now then have the Technician "re-locate" this 5100 reciever to another room of your choice. There will be a charge of $50 on the Work Order for this but all charges are fully refunded by way of a "Programing Credit" so you effectivly get it moved for free (less Tax).....

Quote:
Will I have the option of keeping the existing dish up
Yes, the 9200 and the 9220 BOTH come with a Dish and an SW44 if the job requires it. There maybe an additioanal charge of $50 for the extra labor involved in assembling, Mounting and pointing this second Dish, again all charges will be fully refunded. Don't forget though that ONLY the 9200 will see Nimiq 2 @ 82 degrees if you go this route.

Think that covers it.

You should be charged $125 as an existing customer getting an installation of a 9200 in either case plus the other amounts mentioned above.

Nimiq 1
post #60 of 2462 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 06:18 PM
kam

Thanks,

Do I need to arrange it through BEV or just with the tech that shows up?

Tags
5900 , bell , bell 9242 , bell aliant , bell sat , dish , dpp , dual tuner , expressvu , hdpvr , satellite , satellite piracy , signal strength , sw44 , switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in