Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

92XX/94XX Installation 101

797K views 2K replies 430 participants last post by  17671 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There has been a lot of discussion on the 92XX regarding installation; so much so that I've decided to put together this thread. Now, let me start off by saying that I haven't installed a 92XX myself; most of this info has come through my own research and reading online. If you find anything I've put in here to be in error, please let me know so I can make the appropriate corrections. As well, keep in mind these installation instructions are geared towards those of you familliar with the basics of installing satellite dishes.

First commonly asked question is if it can be hooked up using only one of the tuners. The answer to that is no. If you try to do so, you will run into problems. The bottom line is you have to use both inputs on the 92XX for it to function correctly.

Example #1- Installing a 92XX using only 1 cable.
To do this, you will need the following items. A Dish Pro Plus (DPP) Twin LNB, and a DPP Seperator.

You connect 1 RG6 cable to the DPP Twin LNB, run it into the house, and then use the DPP Seperator to seperate the signals into the 2 inputs of the 92XX. Your connection will look like this:

Now, some people have asked if they can install 2-92XX's in the same house? The answer is yes. Using one more seperator, you can use the extra connection on the DPP Twin LNB and connect them both.

Please note that the 2nd receiver in this example can be any other type of receiver; new or old (Legacy.) DPP will support either. Of course with a single tuner receiver you will not need the seperator on that one.

RG6 is the preferred cable type to use for all satellite installations, please see following links for more details

Digital Home FAQ: Cables and Connections:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

Digital Home FAQ: Cables, Splitters:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3327

See less See more
Reactions: hugh
#52 ·
joedoe said:
Do you know if existing customers with no HDTV will be allowed to get the 9220?
Or existing customer with HDTV? There have been conflicting reports about the ability of existing HDTV customers to purchase the 9220. Especially now that they are including an SW44 switch vs. the single SW21 we got with the 6120. It would be really unfair to limit existing HDTV subs from buying the 9220. Not that I would expect any less from Bell......:(

#53 ·
supergenius said:
Or existing customer with HDTV? There have been conflicting reports about the ability of existing HDTV customers to purchase the 9220. Especially now that they are including an SW44 switch vs. the single SW21 we got with the 6120. It would be really unfair to limit existing HDTV subs from buying the 9220. Not that I would expect any less from Bell......:(
Yes to both, however the are setting up two kits, one for new customers, and one for existing customers. The boxes are the same as well as the contents, however there will be a sticker on the box for existing customers. Don't think just because a store has a pile of 9220's in stock that they can sell you one, you'll need the 9200 receiver kit.

#54 ·
Deckster said:
Yes to both, however the are setting up two kits, one for new customers, and one for existing customers. The boxes are the same as well as the contents, however there will be a sticker on the box for existing customers. Don't think just because a store has a pile of 9220's in stock that they can sell you one, you'll need the 9200 receiver kit.
I don't get it? If the contents are the same there is no reason to setup 2 kits. There must be something different. My guess. There will be no SW44 switch.

#55 ·
joedoe said:
I don't get it? If the contents are the same there is no reason to setup 2 kits. There must be something different. My guess. There will be no SW44 switch.
My guess is that it is an easier way to control stock levels. If you were ExpressVu and you were running low on inventory of 9200 receivers who would be the first to get them, new customers or existing. I think that it is an easy way to control the ratio based on demand.

Best advice, buy as earlier as possible to avoid that possible situation.

BTW I don't work for ExpressVu so I am just guessing.

#56 ·
supergenius said:
First of all, I didn't get a SW21 with my 6100. I got the receiver, the remote, and the cables only. (Came in the plain brown box direct from Bell - not the mostly white colored boxes you see in the stores.) I had to run out to the store to buy a SW21 for another $30. I sure got hosed on the price of my 6100 ($699).

Anyway, Deckster I don't quite understand your answer. Are you saying:

New Customers: 9220 without sticker
Existing HD Customers: 9220 with sticker or
Existing HD Customers: 9200 with sticker
Existing non-HD Customers: 9220 without sticker

And if the box and contents are the same, then what's the purpose of the sticker again?

#59 ·
joedoe said:
How could you be trained and know what Bell is going to include then?
I work at Bell World, we have access to all sorts of training. I however am not privi to ExpressVu's levels of stock and access to stock. That is why I am guessing on the reason for two different kits

#63 ·
Deckster said:
New EVU customers - no sticker

Existing EVU customers - "Existing Customer Sticker"
Thanks Deckster, it would seem strange to me that they would do this simply to control inventory levels?

And as an existing customer, why would I want to buy a 9200 box if I were permitted to buy a 9220 and get a SW44 included? (Even if I already had one, I could sell it Ebay - unless a 9200 was all that was available.)

#64 ·
Another 9200 Installation question

I haven't seen this installation variation discussed yet.

I currently have a single 5200 receiver, with a single cable coming down from the dish. I've upgraded the dish from the original 18" to 21"

The DPP LNB and seperator approach would be ideal for me but the question is:

Are the dual satellite dishes any different from the regular i.e. are they elliptical?

If they are the same, it sounds like all I would need is the 9200 and seperately buy the DPP gear. If the dish shape is different, then apparently I would need the 9220 complete with dish and then decide whether I would prefer to string 3 more cables, or spend a little more for the DPP setup.

Hope this makes sense.

#65 ·
ken0042 said:
Example #4- Installing with 2 SW21 Switches
This is how you would do the install if you are buying a 9220 package from Bell, this is your only receiver, and you want to use the components that Bell supplies you. Because the 9220 isn't out yet, I'm going on the assumption that Bell will give us 2 Dual LNB's, and 2 SW21's.

Each of the LNB's will point to one satellite, so you use the switches as if you are combining the signal. So a line goes from each LNB into each of the switches, then each of the cables coming out of both switches goes into the receiver.
[/IMG]
So, since my current installation for my 6000 is exactly as shown in the diagram, but with only a cable running from one of the SW21's all I need to do is run a 2nd cable from the other SW21. Correct?

#69 ·
joedoe said:
The 5200 needs two lines. how do you have one?
Damn - I mistyped 5200 instead of 5100 Here's my corrected post:
==========================================================
I haven't seen this installation variation discussed yet.

I currently have a single 5100 receiver, with a single cable coming down from the dish. I've upgraded the dish from the original 18" to 21"

The DPP LNB and seperator approach would be ideal for me but the question is:

Are the dual satellite dishes any different from the regular i.e. are they elliptical?

If they are the same, it sounds like all I would need is the 9200 and seperately buy the DPP gear. If the dish shape is different, then apparently I would need the 9220 complete with dish and then decide whether I would prefer to string 3 more cables, or spend a little more for the DPP setup.

Hope this makes sense.

#70 ·
OK, so you are planning on keeping the 5100, I assume?

Then yes, install the DPP Twin. Run 1 line to the 5100. Run the other line into the seperator, then the 2 lines from it into the 9200. Let me know if this isn't clear; and I can put together one of my diagrams tonight when I get home. (I can't get to Photobucket from work.)

Now, with the 21" dish- could it be 20"? I ask because Bell doesn't make a 21" dish. What I am really looking for is this: is there a "Y" adapter for 2 LNB's on it?

#71 ·
ken0042 said:
OK, so you are planning on keeping the 5100, I assume?

Then yes, install the DPP Twin. Run 1 line to the 5100. Run the other line into the seperator, then the 2 lines from it into the 9200. Let me know if this isn't clear; and I can put together one of my diagrams tonight when I get home. (I can't get to Photobucket from work.)

Now, with the 21" dish- could it be 20"? I ask because Bell doesn't make a 21" dish. What I am really looking for is this: is there a "Y" adapter for 2 LNB's on it?
I'm actually going to pass the 5100 on to a family member so I'll still only have the one receiver. There's a single cable to it from where the line enters the house so I figure that with a seperator I can just run two lines from the seperator to the 9200 (easier than pulling another cable thru the basement).

The dish is a single LNB and you're probly right about it being 20". No Y adapter. So my guess is, I have to swap the dish - right?

#73 ·
Still confused!!

Ken, first off thank you for the great setup info!!!
I have to say that I am still a little confused after reading all of the responses to this thread.
I have a 3100 and a 6100, a 20" dish with 2 dual output LNBs and 2 SW22s.
Are you saying that I can only use a separator on one of these lines if I change to a different type of LNB?
Sheesh, I have only had my 6100 for about 8 months now, had to pay for an installer to move the dish to the roof because of a line of sight issue to sat 82, and now I will probably have to get someone up on the roof again AND maybe run another line into the house?
I am wondering if this is going to really be worth the bother!

Thanks!

Andrew

#74 ·
audiolab said:
Are you saying that I can only use a separator on one of these lines if I change to a different type of LNB?
Andrew that is the only way you are going to be able to use the separator is to go with at least the DPP-Twin (if you are only going to use two receivers). The other thing is that BEV at this time does not officially support DP technology, so if you have technical problems then they most likely will not help you as you would not be using their authorized hardware.

That being said, what is more of a problem, running a second line to the 9200 or buying and installing the DPP-Twin & separator?

BTW you also have to have RG6 cable rated at 2200ghz installed to use the single line/separator. This is due to the freqency that is used to send/separate the signals.

Alt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.