Problems Activating older recievers - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-08, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Problems Activating older recievers

So I recently decided to add another dish and a couple of recievers. I have 4 9200 pvrs at home (all proffesioanlly installed) and working well.

I bought a dish and 2 3100 refurb combo at the bell store (the guy said they were old models but that was the only box that came with a dish. I spent 3 days messing around to discover that the recivers could not identify the sat at 91.

So I bought a new reciever and it worked fine.

Then my wife decided she wanted PVR on this tv also so i bought a 5900 pvr because I only wanted to ue 1 lnb and existing coax at install location, and plugged it in.

My problem is that in the install screen it still always says wrong/unknown sat even though I know the dish is pointed correctly.

Tech support said they cant do anything untill i have a locked signal.

I have tried reseting the reciever, pulling the card reinsterting etc...

Any thoughts on whats wrong/what I can do?

Thanks!

Wolfgang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-08, 03:28 PM
Rookie

I know what is happening.

For some reason, a lot of older receivers, 3100, 4100 and 5900 receivers that are straight out of the box with older software do NOT tell you what Sat you are connected to at all, they just say "Wrong Sat", no mention of Echostar 110 or 119, nothing. It will drive people crazy trying to figure out what bird they are hitting, because EVERY bird will give you the same message.

The only remedy I have found and will only work if you KNOW you are hitting 91, is to run a "Check Switch" and when it has finished and gives you the result, turn OFF the receiver with the power button on the front of the receiver. After a short period of time, your screen will display the message "Downloading software do not disturb the receiver". Leave it alone until the screen goes blank and the receiver powers OFF.

Now you will be able to get the receiver to show you channel 198 etc and you can now activate the receiver.

All this happened the day after the announcement of the Telus deal out West, is that just a coincidence, I have no idea.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-08, 10:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
You could also use one of the lines off your other setup (9200s) to get the firmware updated first unless you are sure the dish is actually aligned properly.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-08, 11:14 PM
PSP
Rookie

Do a check switch.
Press cancle until you see the main menu.
Power off the receiver using the remote and the receiver will take the latest firmware update.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-09, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

ill try that

Ill try the check switch / power off trick tomorrow... and i'lll post the results...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-09, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy well that didn't work

Well,

I tried running check swith and then turning off the reciever, no luck. I can't press cancel to get to the main menu because it's telling me an error (that I am pointing at the wrong sat)

As I said before I know its pointing right because I insatlled a newer reciever no problem. I'm going to try leaving it hooked up overnight and see if anything happens.

Does anyone else have any thoughts? My wife is starting to give me a hard time!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-09, 06:46 PM
Rookie

Did you try turning off with the front power button.?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-09, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

none of the following worked

I tried running check switch and lightly pressing power on console.

I tried running check switch and holding down console power off.

I tried running checkswitch and truing off with uhf remote.

None of the above downloaded anything and I am still stuck at point dish screen.

Oh I also tried running check switch and unplugging. Also didn't work.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-10, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile finally working

So leaving it plugged in overnight worked... Now all I have to do is activate. Thanks for the help guys!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-10, 07:44 PM
Rookie

Glad it finally worked.....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-06-10, 11:57 PM

i believe the problems that the receivers are having with not identifying the satellite have to do with the new n3 encryption. it seems that the network information table has been encrypted. i have a spectrum analyzer that used to be able to identify the satellite it was receiving and give me a list of the channels on the transponder selected. ever since n3 this $5000 instrument is no better than a cheap one. i have to try to identify what i'm picking up by the appearance of the display alone.

Tags
5900 , installation , problem , pvr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in