Problem with iTunes Update - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-03-05, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Problem with iTunes Update

A couple of weeks ago I downloaded an album with iTunes and proceeded to sync it with my two iPods. I recently skimmed through my playlists on my iPod, I noticed some albums had completely disappeared and other playlists had some some of their content removed. I called Apple and even though the rep was very helpful, he couldn't understand why that happened other than the fact that my iPods were 2nd generation and the newest iPods were 6th generation. Part of the problem might also be a lot of my songs on my iPod I copied from CDs and since Apple has now joined the streaming crowd, iTunes has been adjusted not to recognize songs not downloaded from Apple. So, if anyone has iPods which haven't been synced in a long time and have music not purchased from Apple, they might be wise not to do so since the latest updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-03-05, 02:23 PM

If iTunes works in it's current version, never upgrade it. Always is a problem for me as well with losing songs for years with every update.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-03-06, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes it upgrades automatically or when the OS is upgraded. I've since discovered where some of my songs disappeared to: in the cloud. But, I don't know how I could lose entire albums.The Apple rep sort of implied that since Apple brought in Apple Music, any songs I installed from CDs would "disappear".

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-03-06, 01:17 PM

Do you have a service like "Apple Music" or "iTunes Match" enabled on your account?

There's a "Download" button (looks like the one below) that should make the song/album persist on the computer in your library.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-03-06, 05:24 PM

I never bought any music files from iTunes. I used to have my ripped CD albums on pc and imported to iTunes. After certain updates which I did not aware of, all my cd albums disappeared, and there is no way to put any of them back on iTunes. Fortunately I can use readle to import these CD files and keep them in readle which have a music player. So, Apple is sneaky.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-03-07, 12:14 PM
Veteran

Although I have owned an iPod, I have never purchased music from iTunes before. I have transferred MP3 Music files to my iPod with the iTunes program back in the day, but I am not aware how iTunes really keeps track of the music cus I mainly use Google Play Music for my music. Google Play Music lets me upload an Album or individual songs I already owned onto the cloud on my account. From there, all my devices have access to the music files they can download them or not if I choose to do so, Does apple iTunes upload your personal music files you ripped to the cloud? if so its just a matter of re-downloading them again, no?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 10:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
If iTunes works in it's current version, never upgrade it. Always is a problem for me as well with losing songs for years with every update.
I know this, be there, done that. My issue is with an ipad purchased in 2015. Till this moment I have not been able to upgrade the software on itunes. There is always an error. Now I can't get any new apps on my ipad. Maybe if I had been frequent with the updates I won't be stuck with 2015 iOS.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 12:25 PM
Veteran

I don't understand what you're saying here. What does not being able to update iTunes have to do with not being able to get new apps on your iPad?

--
Neil
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 03:51 PM

@waterug : I think the problem is described in this long thread in Apple forum. I hope this is OK to post here. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250269935.

This is for your albums.
Problem is iTunes lists song lengths as bad ( 789:57:13 ) on your PC so they can't be played or synced, but the files are still good. Happens on ripped or edited songs (eg Audacity, Switch Sound file converter, etc.).

On page 3 there is a link to an old iTunes version iTunes 12.9.1.4 for Windows by Steve_db.
If you install this old version and click on each of the songs with bad lengths, the length in iTunes will become correct, the songs will play and can be synced again.

At the end of the thread it sounds like the next release stops more bad lengths from being created but does not fix those that have not been fixed by the steps above.

Andy K.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-01, 11:50 PM
Veteran

cant wait till apple gets rid of itunes, I heard soon they are planning to do that. Its funny how android does not need a software to sync music only apple. why cant they have a self contained ecosystem like android where everything is on the cloud?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-02, 12:31 AM

They do have a self-contained ecosystem, where music is stored in the cloud.

They have 2 paid services that allow you to store your songs on their servers and sync them across your Apple (and Windows) devices:
  • iCloud Music Library (aka iTunes Match)
  • Apple Music, which includes iCloud Music Library, but might also support Android

I've been using one or the other since at least 2013. I can't remember exactly when I actually synced my iPhone with iTunes on my computer.

Ed7789
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-02, 08:35 AM

I sync because playing from the cloud doesn't update last-played dates or counts. I keep copies of my music on my device & on my PC (Windows) and only play downloaded music for that reason.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 11:00 AM
Veteran

so no one answered my question? why do android users do not need a software such as iTunes but Apple iPhone users or iPod users still need it? what exactly are android users doing differently (than iOs users) that they do not need a software such as iTunes to sync their music they can do everything on their phone? or is no one syncing music any more now a days?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Android supports the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) which allows for drag & drop functionality with a computer. Apple doesn't support this partly because they don't expose the iOS device's filesystem to the user.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 11:58 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Although I don't use iTunes much, it allowed me to copy my CDs onto my computer years ago. It then allowed me to make additional CDs for my vehicles which was useful at the time and still is for our 2005 vehicle. For our newer vehicle (2014) I copied my music to an SD card which I inserted into the entertainment system of that vehicle. I also copied my music to a "thumb drive" that is plugged into my BD player.

Some people have their music (from CDs or other hard copy or download) on their iPods, iPhones, etc and don't stream.

Not everyone streams. I don't use "the cloud".

I also back up my iPhone and iPad to my Computer using iTunes. The Mac Mini computer is backed up using Time Machine to an eHDD that is stored in another part of my home, along with occasional backups to a thumb drive kept off site in case of a home catastrophe. The Mac Mini files are also backed up to a MacBook Pro on occasion that I use when travelling.

iTunes is also used to transfer specific files (like specific photos, etc) from one device to another, although I've been using Air Drop for that recently.
emmy1500 likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in