Problem with iTunes Update - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 03:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Although I don't use iTunes much, it allowed me to copy my CDs onto my computer years ago. It then allowed me to make additional CDs for my vehicles which was useful at the time and still is for our 2005 vehicle. For our newer vehicle (2014) I copied my music to an SD card which I inserted into the entertainment system of that vehicle. I also copied my music to a "thumb drive" that is plugged into my BD player.
Windows Media player also had the ability to rip Audio CD's into MP3 files fro a while now, and create additional CDs from those MP3 files or store them onto thumb drives or usb sticks too or copy them to your google play music library onto the cloud.

Quote:
Some people have their music (from CDs or other hard copy or download) on their iPods, iPhones, etc and don't stream.

Not everyone streams. I don't use "the cloud".
This I 100% agree with you on. There seems to be the older generation who actually bought music and has music on many different media formats, while there also seems to be a trend with the newer younger generation aka millennials who, have never purchased music, they do not want to purchase nor do they want to play it offline the simply want to subscribe to a streaming service like apple music or spotify or google play music and stream their songs when ever they want, even when they cross the border into the usa when they are now roaming on a us network they still prefer to stream music from their phone onto their car radio even if it costs them more money on data and roaming fees in the long run.

Quote:
I also back up my iPhone and iPad to my Computer using iTunes. The Mac Mini computer is backed up using Time Machine to an eHDD that is stored in another part of my home, along with occasional backups to a thumb drive kept off site in case of a home catastrophe. The Mac Mini files are also backed up to a MacBook Pro on occasion that I use when travelling.
I guess ive never had the need for a "program" to backup my stuff but I do see the point of having it used for that, I guess I am so used to backing up stuff to the cloud via mobile, Heck, I do not even own a working computer at this time so the cloud is very convenient for me.

Good points none the less. But yes more and more people are becoming computer-less so yes I do see apples vision of scrapping it all together, what are you going to do for your 3 points when itunes is gone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 06:55 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671 View Post
1. Windows Media player also had the ability to rip Audio CD's into MP3 files fro a while now,

2. what are you going to do for your 3 points when itunes is gone?
1. Yeah, but I've got Apple stuff (since 1984), so I've been using iTunes "forever".
2. We'll see. I may keep my MacBook Pro with old OS and iTunes on it.

I understand that some people don't have a computer, but being a touch typist on a real keyboard using a real computer with 24" screen means I hate even using an iPad for typing/browsing/e-mail, etc, much less an iPhone. I'm home enough and I don't text every few seconds, so I use a computer most of the time.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 08:15 PM
Veteran

iTunes is history.

Quote:
After much speculation and fanfare in the press, Apple confirmed today that it will sunset iTunes in the next version of macOS and spin its functionality into three new apps—Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV.
Answers to some of your iTunes questions: Old libraries, Windows, and more

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 09:36 AM
Veteran

just came across my old ipod, factory reset it, it still has the same ol original itunes icon. i guess this only applies to newer apple devices, eh?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671 View Post
There seems to be the older generation who actually bought music and has music on many different media formats, while there also seems to be a trend with the newer younger generation aka millennials who, have never purchased music, they do not want to purchase nor do they want to play it offline the simply want to subscribe to a streaming service like apple music or spotify or google play music and stream their songs when ever they want, even when they cross the border into the usa when they are now roaming on a us network they still prefer to stream music from their phone onto their car radio even if it costs them more money on data and roaming fees in the long run.
Worth noting that streaming music and music service subscriptions are not necessarily the same thing. With many of these services, you can buy individual tracks or albums and stream them or download the files onto your device without a subscription. In some cases you can rip CDs, upload the files, and stream them without a subscription. In some cases you can download files to your device from subscription streaming services and listen locally.

We're really at a high point in terms of flexibility, choice, and competition in the music world. I think iTunes as a software tool is way past its prime, but in many ways it was absolutely key to getting us to where we are now.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Most streaming services allow the downloading of albums and playlists for offline listening. There is little or no need to incur high data costs or roaming fees for music.

Even people who have relatively large music collections may listen to music services most of the time. Automatically generated playlists are convenient and it's a great way to discover new music and artists.
Romany likes this.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 11:06 AM
Veteran

so tell that to my cousin. he travelled to usa and wanted to listen to his spotify with his girlfriend during the car ride, he purposely wanted to pay the $7 per day roam like home to use his data in the states, so one week of that is $35, and on top of it he pays a monthly spotify subscription and has a data package on his cell plan he is paying for, not sure how much they charge, the costs easily add up i already see unnecessary costs he could have avoided. but when i went to the states last year, i simply burned a few audio and mp3 cds of my existing music collection and played it during my one week trip, total cost? $0 yes Zero. some people can decide for them self, but it seems people are paying MORE for convenience, even when we are in a economy where the belt is tightening and costs are going up but the money we make on our pay checks is not
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 02:10 PM
Veteran

Crazy that your cousin didn't simply download a few of his favourite playlists for offline use to save on those data fees.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-07, 10:35 AM
Veteran

when people hear spotify, they do not think about "playlists" they think about how can I hear the new Drake song when ever i want, ok now that I heard it, I want to hear the new Tayler Swift song like right now, ok I heard that one, now I want to hear the new justin bieber song right now. This is what people want, they want to hear their song like "right now" without having to buy it and pay for every song they want to hear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in